The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 1, 2008, 12:44 PM   #1
BurkGlocker

O-rings for SKS gas piston

Where would I be able to get new o-rings for the gas piston on my SKS? Mine have become so brittle that I barely set it down and the edge of the o-ring caught on the table cloth and snapped in half. I'm afraid to use regular o-rings because of just how hot these rifles get. So any input would be great...

Thanks...

Brad
Old August 1, 2008, 01:44 PM   #2
TATER

??
Old August 1, 2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Crosshair

O-rings for an SKS gas piston? You're trying to buy a new muffler belt. There is no such thing as O-rings for an SKS gas piston. Those grooves in the piston are there simply as a place for fouling to collect.
Old August 1, 2008, 03:15 PM   #4
teeroux

Crosshair is right there are no o-rings on a sks piston yours is just fouled and full
Old August 1, 2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Tom2

Clean out the cylinder and the piston really good. Most pistons are chromed on the head but the face of the piston will blacken and you may never get back to shiny chrome there. If you made a decision to shoot corrosive, like Yugo ammo, you better do this every time. No lubrication or oil should be left in the cylinder or on the piston. Not needed and will just attract crud to stick and make gooey mess. Or maybe largely just evaporate if the gun runs hot there. Lot of surplus ammo is pretty dirty so it tends to build up before too long.
Old August 1, 2008, 06:31 PM   #6
ISC

I suspect that he has a yugo SKS with a corroded gas system that the previous owner "fixed" by installing O rings in order to sell it. Yugos are notorious for gas problems due to the combination of no chrome lined bore, the grenade launcher, corrosive yugoslavian ammo, and hard use by poorly trained conscripted soldiers in training and their civil wars.

The only true fix may be replacing the gas piston and or gas tube.
Old August 1, 2008, 08:00 PM   #7
BurkGlocker

Well, thanks for that clarification. This is my first SKS so everything is new to me about these things. It looks like someone either made some fiber washers to fit there or perhaps it is the build up, but since they are not supposed to be there, POOF!!! they're gone... Maybe this will help with the stove pipes and FTEs.

Thanks,

Brad

Edit: Well, the problem was that the gas tube was not sealing properly and was rattling around when installed. I did put an o-ring there to keep it sealed and bada boom, problem solved. Taking those o-rings off made it worse, but sealing it up where the gas tube and the valve meet made a world of difference.

Last edited by BurkGlocker; August 2, 2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old August 7, 2008, 12:13 AM   #8
workinwifdakids

Classic fix...

This is a classic fix for Yugo gas problems.

Take a regular office paper clip, and straighten it out. Then, using a pair of needle-nose pliers, bend it into a circle around the outside. Continue to bend and push. Clip the clip (hardy har) so you have about 1/16" space when they meet around the other side, and - voila! New gas.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=4191.0

Have fun.
Old August 7, 2008, 10:20 AM   #9
ISC

thats a fix for a bad gas system like fix-a-flat is a fix for a flat tire. It may work short term, but it doesn't actually fix the problem or keep it from getting worse.
Old August 7, 2008, 11:33 AM   #10
BurkGlocker

I found some high temp silicone washer type o-rings and it fit right over the gas valve, and when I put the gas tube on, it seals just perfectly. I figured it was at that point that it was the problem when it was just rattling around like a stone in a can. But it works perfectly now, and havent had a problem one with it since this 'fix'. but I will let y'all know how it works after I finish this case up...
Old August 31, 2008, 05:53 PM   #11
BurkGlocker

ok.... The O-ring 'fix' was definately temporary... I fired about 60 rounds through my SKS and the same problems started to arise, all FTEs. Is there a way to maybe tap the gas block back a little bit to try and seal up the gas tube better, or maybe some shim stock or fibre washer to help seal it up tighter. This rifle shoots wonderfully when it is ejecting shells, but when it starts leaking again, its a piece of crap, have to slam the bolt back to even get the empty shell out.

Someone help meeeeee...
Old September 2, 2008, 01:52 PM   #12
Kawabuggy

Why not just pay the $11.00 and get the Stainless Steel valve and be done with it????

I understand being broke, but if you can't scratch up $11.00 to perform a PROPER repair on your fire-arm-how the heck can you even afford ammunition? Range fees? Gas to get out somewhere to shoot?
Old September 2, 2008, 09:24 PM   #13
ISC

You might need to replace the gas valve, gas piston, gas tube or any combination of those items. There are people that claim that Yugo SKSs aren't prone to any sort of gas problems, but I have personally owned 3 that refused to cycle due to gas problems. They can be good rifles, but the cumulative effects of corrosive ammunition, non chrome bores, and poor maintenance have taken their toll on many Yugos.
Old September 3, 2008, 02:23 AM   #14
BurkGlocker

Quote:
Why not just pay the $11.00 and get the Stainless Steel valve and be done with it????

I understand being broke, but if you can't scratch up $11.00 to perform a PROPER repair on your fire-arm-how the heck can you even afford ammunition? Range fees? Gas to get out somewhere to shoot?
How the heck do you think that I am broke because I cant find out a way to fix my rifle? If youre so rich why dont you send me the $11.00 so that I can fix it, huh?
Old September 3, 2008, 03:25 AM   #15
teeroux

Quote:
How the heck do you think that I am broke because I cant find out a way to fix my rifle? If youre so rich why dont you send me the $11.00 so that I can fix it, huh?
Insert foot spit out cash. lol