The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 4, 2009, 08:29 AM   #26
MTT TL

Quote:
Maybe i was not clear. This job involves sitting at a desk with a computer. I will see if my boss notices me disappearing for a few hours to do some charitable work...
Ahh, you want to do personal things during work time. That is like stealing from the company. Where did you say you worked again? Who is your supervisor?

Old November 4, 2009, 09:19 AM   #27
ZeSpectre

We had a good talk about activism and who to target (and how to avoid fatigue) on THR a while back.

One small quote...

Quote:
The folks we need to be talking to are the middle. If somebody's an activist for gun control or a member of Brady/VPC, don't waste your time. Their mind is made up, and they're unlikely to change. Some people think it's fun to vilify or "score points" off the moonbats, but it gets us nowhere, and it's a waste of time.

Likewise, speaking to the choir at the range or at a gun show doesn't really help swing the balance. Those people are already in as much as they're going to be. Sure, it's nice to have people agree with us, but it doesn't effect any real change, which is what activism is.
Old November 4, 2009, 12:10 PM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

Z. is on the money. We tend to like confirmation bias conversations with folks who agree with us.

That's why some folks don't understand that slogan from the choir may not work for the middle of the road.

For example:

The gun is only a tool.

Doctors kill more.

The infamous one about the general who supposedly told a woman reporter about how she wasn't a hooker if though equipped to be so and thus gun folks aren't all killers. - That sounded fine for the guys at the range. Some genius professor tried it on a college debate (IIRC - have to look it up) with a femal antiprofessor and almost got vaporized for being so rude. His message was swamped by that insulting analogy.
Old November 4, 2009, 12:24 PM   #29
Frank Ettin
Staff

Z and Glenn, great points. Personally, I had a lifetime's ration of aggravation when I was working for a living.

I think some of the most effective and efficient things we can all do for the RKBA are (1) set a good example and by our conduct and manners be good ambassadors for responsible gun ownership; and (2) teach new people to shoot and start them off properly and safely.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; November 4, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old November 4, 2009, 12:37 PM   #30
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Ahh, you want to do personal things during work time. That is like stealing from the company. Where did you say you worked again? Who is your supervisor?
Supervisor does not care as long as my work gets done. As long as people aren't buying new cars, houses, jewelery, boats, or anything else that needs to be insured, that is going to take me 2-3 hours a day.
Old November 4, 2009, 01:04 PM   #31
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
His message was swamped by that insulting analogy.
And further reinforced negative gun owner stereotypes.

If I were an advertising type (and I sure am not) I might come up with a blurb like: "Guns for self-defense, sport and fun! They're not just for right-wing redneck racist misogynist pot-bellied bubbas anymore!
Old November 4, 2009, 01:54 PM   #32
Parapliers

Sport Utillity Rifle

Don't allow the opposition to define terms. "Assault Rifle" sounds so cool but doesn't AR stand for "Automatic Rifle" or automatic loading rifle, AKA semi automatic rifle? I hate the term "assault rifle" and never have used it.
Old November 4, 2009, 03:05 PM   #33
ZeSpectre

I've become very fond of the term SUR (Sports/Utility Rifle)
Old November 6, 2009, 10:43 AM   #34
raimius

Quote:
Don't allow the opposition to define terms. "Assault Rifle" sounds so cool but doesn't AR stand for "Automatic Rifle" or automatic loading rifle, AKA semi automatic rifle? I hate the term "assault rifle" and never have used it.
It's from Armalite.
Old November 6, 2009, 11:30 AM   #35
Travelin' Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapliers
AR stands for Armalite Rifle

AK stands for Avtomat Kalashnikova
Old November 8, 2009, 10:35 AM   #36
WarMare

Persuading People on the Fence

When dealing with women opposed to gun ownership, you might point out that the court cases that have established the legal fact that the police are there to protect the community, not the individual citizen in need of help, are drawn from cases involving extremely bad faith on the parts of police departments towards women facing extreme violence. Gonzales v. Castle Rock is only the most recent.

I am unaware of any such case involving an adult male, much less one of significant social standing.

I would appreciate correction if I am wrong.

Last edited by WarMare; November 8, 2009 at 08:41 PM.