The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 18, 2018, 03:00 AM   #26
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
A .32 H&R on the aluminum LCR frame? That would probably be just as light as the .38 is, but we're talking a few ounces lighter compared to the .327 and .357 LCR's. Ruger would never make it and I'm not sure I'd buy it.
It would basically be a better 432PD with no lock-hole. I know there would be snowmen dancing in heck before we'd ever see such a gun. I'm just saying. The lighter .38 special frame is only a little smaller and a little lighter. Having carried the LCR in both frames for hundreds of days each, it is a noticeable difference. The magnum frame still rides quite well in a pocket holster and I have no problem carrying it in a lot of pants. It's just that the lighter frame is a little better.

You're right about .32 H&R magnum and some other cartridges being loaded on the mild side in common factory offerings. In a small six-gun, I never minded a .32 H&R magnum on par energetically with standard .38 special. It had relatively mild recoil and offered an extra shot on the wheel. Modern .327 Federal has similar benefits, offering power levels between 9mm and .357 magnum with an extra shot and recoil closer to .38 +p. The LCR 327 is my warm-weather EDC and I'm content with it.