The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2009, 08:14 AM   #51
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

No, no no - - Nothing against bullet casters.

I used to do a LOT of it myownself.

This is a fine thread and most informative. I realize that I've been remiss in not making a sticky of this thread before, and for that I apologize. This is now remedied.

Best to all.
Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Guest; August 5, 2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old August 5, 2009, 01:08 PM   #52
snuffy

See guys, all it takes is a PM to Johnny to get things done! Thanks Johnny, now we can point new casters to this sticky to answer SOME of their questions.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 5, 2009, 04:12 PM   #53
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Thanks Johnny, sure appreciate it!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old August 5, 2009, 04:35 PM   #54
DiscoRacing

thanks to the member above this post.... im currently sitting on over 7,000 rds of casts
Old August 9, 2009, 05:58 PM   #55
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Okay, friends - - Here it is!

Bullet Casting is an official subforum of TFL's Handloading and Reloading forum.

Johnny
Old August 9, 2009, 06:16 PM   #56
CrustyFN

Thanks Johnny, it's greatly appreciated.

Rusty
Old August 10, 2009, 12:36 AM   #57
snuffy

Hooray! Thanks Johnny, I REALLY didn't think you'd actually create a separate forum when I suggested it. Not that I'm trying to take any credit,,, mind you

Yotehntr gets the first post huh? Well, only because he saw it first!

Now to gather up all my boolits, dust off the camera, get to posting on the pic thread!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 10, 2009, 12:19 PM   #58
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Don't be salty, snuffy! LOL!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old August 10, 2009, 05:43 PM   #59
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

I truly believe that, snuffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy
Yotehntr gets the first post huh? Well, only because he saw it first!
Yessir, I was trying to locate as many of the "suggestive" PMs and e-mails as possible, so I could do a post acknowledging some of those who advanced the idea. Your name was already in mind.

Anyone else who actually sent a PM or e-mail advocating a bullet casting forum, please either post a reminder to me here or send a PM. I really don't think the new subforum would have happened this soon if Tuttle8 and others hadn't recalled various discussions and suggestions. As a group, we staffers are pretty conservative about changing up the format of TFL (and rightly so.
Old August 10, 2009, 09:23 PM   #60
lomaxanderson

very good idea

I've been researching casting and this helps ! Now I gotta start shopping around for more gun stuff! she'll love that

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old August 22, 2009, 05:14 AM   #61
Nightowl

I used to cast and reload some 35 years ago and now that I'm retired, I'm reviving the hobby. It was a distant memory until I read your post. Everything is coming back now. Thanks for the pictures and all the detailed info. Great job.
Always - Safety First!
Old September 27, 2009, 08:27 PM   #62
rocknrollgen

Question about wheelweight composition.

This is a great thread for us newbies to boolit casting, it popped right up when I did a search for "Bullet casting problems". I have been prepping to get some casting done ever since I realized that the shooting sports were going to be a target for elimination by the current administration as soon as they destroyed the rest of our economy.
I collected about 150# of wheelweights from a friend who owns a few tire stores, bought a Lee 20# pot and started melting. But some of my melts turned "frothy" on top and I started asking questions about the composition of the wheelweights. Turns out our state (WA) is in the process of banning lead WW, so I have a mix of lead and other metals in my wheelweights. Steel is not a problem since I can't melt it and it just floats to the top, but apparently several other metals bad for surface tension are being phased in as lead is phased out. I can't find any information on composition vs stamps on the weights and my friend doesn't know of any information source either. I am separating the weights by stamp but there are many stamps by different manufacturers and I can't tell the composition from "MC, Mn (ok, manganese?), Zn (Zinc), T-Type?, P, Al (Aluminum?) and combinations. Even within stamp types there are variations. Al stamped weights appear too heavy to be pure aluminum, most have the look and feel of lead, but I don't want to contaminate any more melts than I already have. I recently bought an appropriate range thermometer from Midway, the posts on this thread helped a lot. Any advice on what WW stamps to avoid and which are OK to add to the mix? Also does anyone know what the composition of diving weights is?
I suspect more and more states are going to put pressure on lead as a hazardous substance so what is the DIY going to turn to when the lead sources dry up?
I realize that this is an old thread but I wanted to get the WW question in as the answer may help others in the same position.
Old September 28, 2009, 10:33 AM   #63
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

I would copy your question and start your own thread on the topic to get more participation and answers.

The EPA is causing all lead wheelwights to be phased out nationwide. I think it is by some time in 2011; not sure about that year, but it is coming soon. So WW alloy will cease to be available in wheel weights.

Zinc is the trouble maker as it interferes with mold fill. As long as you keep your melt a good 50 degrees or more too cool to melt zinc (787.1°F (419.5°C)) the zinc weights should float to the surface, too.

Here is a good discussion of alloys and I think it will answer your questions.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 14, 2010, 05:15 PM   #64
TXGunNut

Thanks, guys! I've been loading for a long time but resisted getting into casting until last year. I bought a Sharps replica in .45-70 and bought hundreds of dollars worth of the best cast bullets money could buy. Mostly junk and none would shoot worth a damn! Now I know what I was doing wrong. I'm changing over to boolits! I invested quite a bit in casting equipment over a year ago but it's all still in boxes in my loading room, but not for long. Good info about smelting as well, was going to use the same pot but now I know better.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 14, 2010, 05:26 PM   #65
TXGunNut

R&RGen, the letters on the weights indicate the application, not the composition. MC is motorcycle, AL is for aluminum wheels, etc. It refers to the contour of the wheel rim and the type clip necessary to secure it. Other markings may have the clues you're looking for but they vary by manufacturer.
Old March 14, 2010, 08:51 PM   #66
TXGunNut

Finally!

Finally cast my own BPCR boolits today! Wonderful day, no major mishaps and about 65 good-looking boolits! Did lots of reading here and elesewhere, asked lots of questions but finally just toted all the stuff outside and went to work. Thanks, guys.
Old March 14, 2010, 10:19 PM   #67
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Glad everything worked out for you and I hope they shoot well for ya! We will be expecting some pictures of targets!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old August 8, 2010, 11:11 PM   #68
Six_Rounds

Noobie question here. If I have a dirt berm I can scoop old bullets out of (they are all lead .22lr's or unplated buckshot), could those bullets be melted down and re-used? I know that the outside of the bullets will be somewhat degraded, but shouldn't the lead be mostly useable?
Old August 9, 2010, 01:26 AM   #69
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Short answer: YES

Six Rounds - -

Reclaimed lead from bullet traps and backstops is a prime source for many bullet casters. If the berm is a clay soil, or if it is often moist or muddy, you may want to wash the bullets and shot. Howevef, you can just melt them and skim off the trash before you flux the metal.

See snuffy's posts #40 and 41 above, for how to do it on a large scale.

Good luck to you.
Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Guest; August 9, 2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Add refefrence to other posts
Old August 9, 2010, 06:46 AM   #70
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Be extremely careful NOT to put wet lead into already molten lead. The water turns into steam very quickly and can cause a mini explosion spewing lead in all directions. We call this....the tinsel fairy. It can be painful if not dressed appropriately. Be sure to wear eye protection, gloves, long sleeves, and long pants. In short, cover all exposed skin. Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old August 9, 2010, 06:50 AM   #71
flashhole

Yeah ... water in the lead pot can ruin your day.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 9, 2010, 08:17 AM   #72
dahermit

The shinny bullets in the post with the pictures indicate too low a casting temperature, not poor fill-out. The frosted bullets below them indicates a higher casting temperature, not necessarily more tin in the melt. Many casters have stated that they get good fill-out with straight WW by casting at a higher temperature without adding any tin.
Old August 9, 2010, 08:19 AM   #73
DiscoRacing

I do
Old August 9, 2010, 10:07 AM   #74
reloader28

All I have ever used is straight WW with nothing added. Never had a problem.
Old August 24, 2010, 09:50 PM   #75
Unclenick
Staff

Been awhile since I looked at this thread.

Re, my post #63, above, it turned out it was California that was scheduled to eliminate lead in wheel weights sometime next year. The EPA does have some kind of program going to get rid of them everywhere, but last time I looked it was voluntary. So there is a breather here.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle