The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 12, 2017, 09:49 PM   #1
ThomasT

35 Remington

Hi guys. I have really gotten the bug for a Marlin levergun in 35 Remington. I have never shot one. So if you have used a 35 remington on game what was your impression of it? About all I will be hunting is deer and maybe wild hogs. I have read several articles on google and the leverguns forum and they are all very positive on the round. I would just like to have something bigger than the 30 and 8mm calibers I have now.

Now I can get brass and bullets and that has been the hold up on one of these for the last several years. So your experience and pics if you have them would be appreciated.
Old February 12, 2017, 10:12 PM   #2
ShootistPRS

Rat shooter,
The 35 Remington is an underpowered workhorse. It will do anything the 30-30 will do, just a bit better. It is right at home with a 180 grain bullet and, believe it or not there are a few to choose from. The Hornady spire point, the Speer flat point and Sierra has a 180 grain pistol bullet that is full jacket protected that will be great out of the 35 Rem. The Sierra has the lowest BC and the Hornady has the highest BC but neither will matter much at the ranges you are likely to use in practice. It has about the same recoil in the lever guns as the 30-30 with a slight velocity advantage. It is a big gun for close work and it excels at that job.
Old February 12, 2017, 10:49 PM   #3
Wyosmith

I had one years ago and I never should have sold it. I killed a number of deer with it and I loaned to a friend in Idaho who killed a bear with it.
Mine was a rifle, not a carbine, so it had a 24" barrel.
It killed deer "right now".
Greg told me the bear didn't go any farther than those he killed with his 30-06, but i was not with him so I can't give a 1st hand account. The I did skin the bear however.

I loaded ammo for it with Speer bullets, 220s I believe, but they may have been 200s. It was a long time ago, so I don't truly remember.
Old February 12, 2017, 10:55 PM   #4
603Country

I hunted with a Marlin in 35 Remington for at least 15 years. I shot a bunch of deer in that time, since I was the oldest son in a big family that ate venison in large quantities. After problems finding the iron sights right at dusk, I put a 4 power scope on it. The 35 has a bit of a rainbow trajectory, but once I figured out the required holdover, I was easily good to 150 yards. Longest shot was 260 yards, and there might have been some luck there.

I used 200 gr Remington Core-Loct rounds, and it was absolutely deadly, and I got a blood trail anybody could follow. You always get an exit. The deer didn't go far. It is as effective a deer killer as my 270, with the only drawback being the much shorter max range.

I'd sight it in at 100. Standard deer shooting was usually that I'd put the crosshairs right on their back and drop it into the lungs. Worked great, but that part about holding it on the back became ingrained, and I still instinctively do it with the 270 and 260. It has cost me a couple of deer, and that old habit is hard to break.

Great caliber.
Old February 12, 2017, 10:59 PM   #5
Gunplummer

Next to the 30-30, the .35 Remington was probably the most popular deer cartridge in my neck of the woods when I was younger. I used to see a lot of levers and pumps out there.
Old February 12, 2017, 11:38 PM   #6
bamaranger

pumps

THE family standard was a Rem 14 or 141 in .35, and 200 gr slug! Ol' Uncle Harry proclaimed it the "best killer in the woods" until his 141 developed a glitch. Dad had a .30 Rem and it was not even in the same light by family standards.

One thing not often discussed is that the .35 Rem is the same age as the '06!
Old February 13, 2017, 12:37 AM   #7
ThomasT

WOW!!! What great feedback you guys have posted. I really wanted you to tell me not to bother with it but you didn't do that. Just kidding. This is the information was looking for. I haven't bought a new rifle in a while so this may be my next purchase. My wife says I need a new rifle like I need a hole in the head. I may get both.

The part about shorter range was mentioned. Thats not a big deal to me. I am not a deer sniper. I like to get close. The closer I can get the better I like the hunt. Its a matter of pride to me to get close. I guess it must be the Injun blood in my veins.

Last edited by ThomasT; February 13, 2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old February 13, 2017, 09:02 AM   #8
Jack O'Conner

This long barreled Marlin is a family heirloom which was built in the 1950's. This rifle has taken moose and bears in Ontario plus scores of Pennsylvania deer. I knocked down this wild hog with one shot through the ribs; it never knew what happened. As others have stated, Remington 200 grain ammo is quite lethal and accurate.

Good hunting to you.

Jack

Old February 15, 2017, 01:36 AM   #9
bamaranger

slick

Jack,

Seems as I may have advised before, but I think that long barreled Marlin is pretty. I have had my eye peeled for one of the longer Marlins in .35 for some time. Unfortunately, the only one I've ever run up on for sale, (quite reasonably too) was early on when money was tight, and I could just not rationalize the purchase.

Custom wood on yours......seems like you advised so previously.

Very nice.
Old February 28, 2017, 10:45 AM   #10
Jevyod

I agree, it is an awesome cartridge. My dad bought one a number of years ago for 200 bucks. It is a Marlin 336, made in 1951. Most of us boys used that gun when we started hunting. Later we got other rifles, and that one sat in the cabinet. It had most of the finish worn off, and rust on the barrel. 3 years ago, i decided it is time to do something with it, so i took it apart, got it re-blued and refinished the wood. Somebody had previously tapped it for a scope, so I topped it with a redfield revolution in 2-7X32 scope. Loaded it with some Hornady flex tip, and man did it shoot! 3 shots went into .7 at 100 yards, and 1.375 at 200. Since then it has taken several deer and a 200 pound hog. In my experience it really puts the hammer on game. Deer often go down within 40 yards when hit in the boiler room. Needless to say, that gun will not leave the family!
Old March 1, 2017, 05:15 PM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I've always thought the 35 Remington was a over exaggerated cartridge. Remington although not producing a marketable firearm for their cartridge since their a long discontinued 1908 model. They've kept the cartridge marketable due to its availability in the Marlin lever models. Once that idea subsided or was changed by Marlin. The 35 Remington was without a doubt on the cusp of obsolescence. But since Marlin's selling to Remington who knows? That 35 cartridge just may be Resurrected some day.
Old March 2, 2017, 03:24 AM   #12
bamaranger

1908?

Not sure what you mean by that date, Sureshot?

The Rem 8/81 & 14/141 were produced up into 1950. The successor to the 141 pump, the 760, was also produced in .35, though I don't know how many. There was even a limited run of the 7600 Rem pump in .35 in about 2005. As you noted, Marlin has produced its lever rifle in .35, though I think it has been discontiuned in that caliber, at least presently.

The .35 is certainly aged, but there are a huge number of rifles so chambered. Although I am not the one to predict what the hugely profit driven modern gun industry will do, totally discontinuing production of .35 Rem cartridges would be a mistake, and I hope, unlikely.
Old March 2, 2017, 03:25 PM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Everyone is allowed a mistake. Looks like I got my fair in this write and than some. Should be 06 designed. Thanks for the clarity kind sir. Actually I only knew of the models 8 & 14 long ago discontinued. Couldn't remember all those others. It appears you did some research in behalf of the 35. And its good to read someone was on the ball today. Regards, s/s
Old March 2, 2017, 05:25 PM   #14
eastbank

i like the 35 cal bullets and got a remington 7600 in 35 whelen and a ruger #1 in 35 whelen and as i reload and there is a good supply of 3006 cases, i can load down to 35 rem speed or load up to top 35 whelen speeds. i killed a cape buffalo in africa useing a 9.3x62 with a .366 dia 250gr bullet at 2500 fps and the 35 whelen shooting a .358 dia 250gr bullet at 2500 fps would have had the same results. eastbank.
Old March 2, 2017, 07:33 PM   #15
mete

If the 35 Remington had been marketed much better It would be very much alive today !
In the East like NY state most shots on deer are within 50 yds so long range performance is not needed. It has been liked here for the larger diameter bullet which makes it a winner on deer and black bear !
Old March 2, 2017, 08:14 PM   #16
alex0535

Love it, I've taken about half a dozen deer with the 35 Remington. All have taken one shot and not made it far, leaving about a golf ball sized exit wound with 200 grain Remington core-lokt. Recoil is minimal in a Marlin 336, and while not hearing safe, I've shot it without ear protection and it didn't make them ring. The same rifle has been killing deer and supplying near for my family since the 50's. I'd have no concerns about it being underpowered on deer, hogs, and maybe even black bear inside 100 yards.

Still don't have problems finding ammo in my state.
Old March 2, 2017, 08:49 PM   #17
jmr40

The 35 Rem was marketed just fine. When I was a kid it out numbered 30-30 by a factor of about 5:1 locally Hunters used to swear it was a better deer killer than 30-30 based on colorful marketing. But given the test of time everyone eventually figured out there was absolutely no difference and that there were far better options than either.

Here is what most hunters either don't understand or don't want to hear. Every single cartridge introduced since smokeless powder came on the scene in the 1890's will, and has killed every animal on the planet. Yes, 223 has taken elephant and the largest bear. Cartridges like 7X57,6.5X55, 8X57, 303, 30-40 Kraig, 30-06, 270, 308, etc, have all routinely been used to take just about every animal on the earth. Many of those pre-date both 30-30 and 35 Rem, have similar or less recoil and all easily outperform both. There simply never has been any real need for anything between 30 and 375 caliber.

The 35Rem is a cool old round. I've had several over the years and still own one. But it is what it is, there is no magic bullet. It is dying, because it doesn't fill any need.

Winston Churchill
Old March 2, 2017, 10:46 PM   #18
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Back in the early 50s in my wooded area when just a child. I recall the boss lever calibers carried in the woods certainly didn't include the 35 Rem. 30 wcf 32 specials and the King of them all on every hunters wish list. That 300 Savage.
I kinda think the 35 Rem was a Remington orphan cartridge from its marketplace debut. "Known but never owned."
Old March 3, 2017, 07:03 AM   #19
eastbank

as long as cases can be bought or made from other cases it will be with us, maybe not on the front burner, but used. i own and shoot many old out dated winchester calibers, if i can buy or make cases they will go hunting.eastbank.
Old March 6, 2017, 01:45 AM   #20
bamaranger

no problem

McGee, no problem. I have run off in print on these forums in error myself more than once.

The thing about .35's in my book is two fold. One, a colorful old character, one of my great uncles, shot a 14/141 so chambered. Two, the rifles themselves, the mentioned 8/81's, 14/141, the half magazine Marlins, hark from another era and hold a mystique for me. If you watch the old deer camp photos, especially in the NE, you will see many of these old pumps with their proud owners at the meat pole. Those fellas and stories are gone. Those old rifles, turned out by machinists with wire rims and a cigar jutting from their mouth as they worked at mill or lathe, are mostly gone too.

But if we can save a few of those old guns, and keep them hunting, we haven't lost everything.
Old March 6, 2017, 05:49 AM   #21
eastbank

the first deer i shot with a old rifle, was shot with a original springfield trapdoor carbine with original black powder shells and about 40 yards and since that i have been a old rifle-odd ball calibers junkie. i,m sure the .35 remington will be with us a long time, doing what it will do and that is knocking the socks off of deer and bear and moderate ranges. eastbank.