The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 26, 2017, 06:44 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
are the more accurate representications of the type.
I suppose so, if the type you are interested in is Colt SAA.
Old March 26, 2017, 08:38 PM   #27
Hawg

Quote:
I suppose so, if the type you are interested in is Colt SAA.
Is there any other?
Old March 26, 2017, 10:21 PM   #28
bedbugbilly

You can't go wrong with either one. I have both. My preference is the Uberti all the way but that's just me. In fact, I have two Uberti's (SAA) - a 7 1/2" Cattleman in 45 Colt and a 4 3/4" 357 Bisley - both excellent quality and accurate with all of my cast lead reloads - I don't buy store bought ammo.

I curious as to what "durability" means to you. Any hand gun can have an issue whether it's a Ruger (and I own a number of Ruger handguns) or a Uberti (I own three Ubertis) or whatever brand you want to talk about.

To me, a Uberti SAA is more like a Colt - the NV is heavier and I quickly got rid of the factory grips and put a set of wood gunfighter grips on it. mine is a 357 and like a lot of Rugers, the cylinder throats are on the tight side for cast. In Fact, it is leaving the herd this summer and will be replaced with another Uberti as personally, I prefer the Ubertis. Tight throats on a Ruger are easily taken care of though with a proper ream job done by someone who knows what they are doing.

You are talking about "years of use" but are afraid a grip panel might get scratched? I can guarantee you that if you carry a long time in a holster, the finish will be worn and if you use it, it's going to get wear to it. They call that "character". The Uberti is going to keep going strong for you if you do your part and take care of it - no different than a lot of the Colt SAA that are still being used that are over 100 years old.

Go with what you like the best, use it, take care of it and enjoy it.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 28, 2017, 11:46 AM   #29
Model12Win

One bad thing of the SAAs is they're limited to standard loads.

The Rugers can often be uploaded to maximum magnum power, creating excellent energy levels to defeat large and/or dangerous game animals and even have potent anti-personnel capabilities and even light anti-vehicular capabilities.
Old March 28, 2017, 02:39 PM   #30
Hawg

Quote:
The Rugers can often be uploaded to maximum magnum power, creating excellent energy levels to defeat large and/or dangerous game animals and even have potent anti-personnel capabilities and even light anti-vehicular capabilities.
The New Vaquero is limited to the same loads.
Old March 28, 2017, 02:41 PM   #31
Hardy

Happy bps

The colt sigs are uberties except some are silver plated trigger guards and back straps and they do say colt(without the horse) and may have a better finishing such as grips and blue but not always . I have some and do not advertise them along with several 2 gens and rugar 44 old army contact me at [email protected] I retailed these several or more years ago and will sell them at happy price

http://img15.deviantart.net/ff3f/i/2...02-d5npllt.jpg

Tags
colt saa clone , ruger vaquero , uberti