The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 17, 2012, 03:47 PM   #1
g2gunny

What about the .327?

Has any one shot a 7 shot .327 revolver? Any feed back on the round?
Old September 17, 2012, 03:59 PM   #2
PawPaw

Some people like them. My buddy Termite, from another forum, is a big fan. I'm on the lookout for a good example in the used gun racks because my wife likes a .32 caliber. Personally, I don't see what the .32 does that any good .38/.357 won't do, but I'm an old curmudgeon. What Termite likes about his revolver is that he can shoot .327 Federal, .32 Short, .32 Long, and .32 H&R ammo in the same gun. He claims that it will chamber and shoot .32 ACP, but you've got to be careful ejecting the little cartridges.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 17, 2012, 04:05 PM   #3
aarondhgraham

Here's a good thread,,,

Here is a 29 page thread on just this topic.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 17, 2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Billy Shears

I'm still in the "undecided" camp as far as the .327 round itself goes. Fun to shoot and fairly cheap to reload, but not as versatile as I had initially thought and a helluva lot louder than I expected when loaded hot.

Also, we all talk about the possibility of shooting four different calibers from one gun, that has long been the selling point of these guns, but really, does anyone ever actually do that? I suspect it's rarer than we'd like to admit. Maybe some will shoot a few .32 H&R rounds now and then, when they can find it and afford it, or when they CAN'T find .327 ammo on the shelves, but even that doesn't give us any significant advantage over the .357/.38 combo, which is available everywhere at much lower prices.

And as far as the GP100 7-shot revolver goes, I'll just give it as my own personal opinion that a handgun as big and heavy as the GP100 should shoot a larger caliber. I'll stick with .357 for my GP100 and enjoy the .327 in the smaller SP101 platform.

Just one guy's opinion. Nothing more than that.
Old September 17, 2012, 07:35 PM   #5
GeauxTide

Fad round. Get a .357.
Old September 20, 2012, 02:27 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
And as far as the GP100 7-shot revolver goes, I'll just give it as my own personal opinion that a handgun as big and heavy as the GP100 should shoot a larger caliber. I'll stick with .357 for my GP100 and enjoy the .327 in the smaller SP101 platform.
I actually consider the GP100 to be the best option out there, for .327 Federal. Good barrel length. Decent weight. Adjustable sights. Double action, single action ... your choice. And, you can push the cartridge to its maximum potential, without worrying about the platform holding you back.

Quote:
Also, we all talk about the possibility of shooting four different calibers from one gun, that has long been the selling point of these guns, but really, does anyone ever actually do that? I suspect it's rarer than we'd like to admit. Maybe some will shoot a few .32 H&R rounds now and then, when they can find it and afford it, or when they CAN'T find .327 ammo on the shelves, but even that doesn't give us any significant advantage over the .357/.38 combo, which is available everywhere at much lower prices.
I do it regularly. In fact, I shoot more .32 H&R than everything else, combined. Often, I even shoot more .32 Auto, .32 S&W, and .32 S&W Long, than .327 Federal.
I shoot plenty of .327 loads, but I shoot more of the others.
Of course... I'm a dedicated reloader. So, that helps with .32 S&W/.32 S&W Long/.32 H&R ammunition availability, substantially.

Many of the other .327 Federal owners on TFL operate in a similar manner. (Though, few of them run .32 S&W, and, even fewer run .32 Auto.)

.327 Federal is great on its own, but adding the versatility of the other cartridges makes it nearly universal for me. The only thing I cannot do with either of my .327s, is hunt Elk. Even if I had a bullet that was up to the task, I just can't make the 500 ft-lb @ 100 yards requirement established by my state. I barely miss it with .327 Federal, out of the Blackhawk; but... many .357 loads barely make it.

Quote:
I'm still in the "undecided" camp as far as the .327 round itself goes. Fun to shoot and fairly cheap to reload, but not as versatile as I had initially thought and a helluva lot louder than I expected when loaded hot.
Muzzle blast and flash aren't nearly as bad in the GP100 or Blackhawk. It's your SP101's 3" barrel, that's giving you the excessive blast.

I know many people disagree with me, but I still think .327 Federal is not as offensive in a 4" barrel, as .357 Mag in a 4" barrel or .38 Special +P in a 1-7/8" barrel. And, out of the 5.5" Blackhawk... it's just a hot .44 Mag.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; September 20, 2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old September 20, 2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Micahweeks

If I could get the new 4.2 inch SP101 in .327, I'd jump on it. I'm no ballistics expert or even enthusiast. I'm kind of in the "Put bullet where I aim it? Good enough!" camp. But, in that size of a gun, the cartridge seems to hit a happy button in my brain.
Old September 20, 2012, 08:31 AM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm still patiently waiting for my S&W "Model 616" stainless 7-shot K frame, target sights, 5" barrel. THAT would IMHO be the perfect platform for the .327Mag.

I'm concerned that S&W isn't listening to me, but there's still time.
Old September 20, 2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Billy Shears

Quote:
I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm still patiently waiting for my S&W "Model 616" stainless 7-shot K frame, target sights, 5" barrel. THAT would IMHO be the perfect platform for the .327Mag.

Yes. That, to me, would be the ideal launch platform for this very versatile caliber.
Old September 20, 2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

The 632 SS comp'ed that I bought it fine for me. Six shot J frame, adjustable sights, etc. It fits my little paws so well.

A lightweight snubbie would be great if it could be designed. I have a 432 and it's neat.
Old September 20, 2012, 10:02 AM   #11
magmax

Quote:
If I could get the new 4.2 inch SP101 in .327, I'd jump on it.
That makes two of us.
Old September 20, 2012, 10:50 AM   #12
gak

Not much to add but a +1 to most of the positive comments above. A long time (1984) .32 H&R fan, to me having the .327 capability is just more of a good thing. I too lean toward the smaller frames as being the more logical for the round and would love a 632 or SP101. I'd also like to have one of my Single Six .32s converted and/or see Ruger do that as factory as well as come up with a .32-20/.327 midframe (New Vaquero/Flattop) convertible. .
Old September 22, 2012, 01:44 AM   #13
FrankenMauser

I used to feel the same way - that the best platform was a small one (Single Six, J-Frame, etc).

But, once I got my hands on that GP100, I had to have it.
And, once my wife and I shot it, we were absolutely sold. In my mind it is the best platform for the cartridge. I think Sevens may agree with me, now that he's been playing with one for a while.

I really liked the SP101, but my wife wanted the Blackhawk. I didn't protest, but would have preferred the smaller package. After shooting it, I loved it. Then, when Crankylove picked up his SP101 in .327 Federal, I was even more sold on the Blackhawk (even though I do still like the SP101).
But once that GP100 came into the mix... it became everyone's favorite. (Even Crankylove's, I think.)

It's big. It's heavy(ish). It isn't a good choice for concealment. ...But it's a lot of fun, and very utilitarian.

I still wouldn't mind something on the small side, but the GP100 is the anchor that holds all of the .327s together. (My opinion, of course. -- it's probably actually the worst-selling .327 on the market.)
Old September 22, 2012, 04:23 AM   #14
Sevens

I got my GP-100 in .327 Federal lightly used -- and with some customization that is typically welcome on any gun, mostly any revolver, but I still find quite curious on this one... it had been Mag-na-Ported.

I'm sure it does what Mag-na-Porting always does, but .327 Federal recoil isn't what I would call excessive in a large-frame handgun like the GP-100.

It's a riot, I have a heap of fun with it. I do take advantage of versatility -- but I do it all from .327 Federal brass. I load 71gr FMJ pills (.32 Auto slugs), I load the 85 and 100 grain XTP's and I do not go easy with them. And lately I've been experimenting with a 115gr cast lead Penn bullet, and those run very well for me with minimal to zero leading. (though a bit piles up above those ports!)

I use my .327 Federal for the same thing I use just about all my other handguns for: screwing around and having fun on the range. Punching paper and dropping steel targets.

The Hogue grip feels really nice in my hand, but I can't stand the way that grip looks. I'm trying to figure out which direction to go with it.

If I had to come up with a complaint, well -- I've got two. The trigger return spring is much heavier than it needs to be. I don't mind a heavy hammer spring, it's busting small rifle primers after all, but the trigger return spring needs swapped out. One day I'll get the gumption.

The other complaint is what I had to spend to get it. Fact is, these don't show up used in the circles I travel. I wanted to pay used money for one, not new money, so I don't feel like I stole this one at $550. I like to feel like I got a steal on a gun buy. I suppose the Mag-na-Port job has some value, though I still don't think it's necessary on a beefy .327 Federal.

Oh yeah, I like it a lot. I'd like it even more at $450 , but I've done -really- well on plenty of other gun buys, so I'm okay with this one.
Old September 22, 2012, 11:55 PM   #15
Crankylove

Quote:
But once that GP100 came into the mix... it became everyone's favorite. (Even Crankylove's, I think.)
As the pistols sit now.........I would probably agree.

Throw the fully adjustable sights from the GP100 on my SP101...........and that would be a really tough choice.

For packing around, the SP101 is great, but the biggest draw back for me is the sights. Recoil in the SP101 is nowhere near what I was expecting for the smaller pistol with full power .327 Mag loads (the Hogue finger groove grips help a bit with that though I think), but can still be a bit of a handfull.

Like Frankenmauser, I shoot and reload all the .32's (except the .32 Auto, which won't reliably ignite in my SP101), and really enjoy the versatility of the gun..........that being said, I would probably give up a testicle if Ruger would make me a Single Six in .327 Mag
Old September 23, 2012, 03:14 AM   #16
SHNOMIDO

I'd like to see a S&W R8 in .327 something along the lines of a R10

...R11?
12?

Haha. I dont know how many holes you could fit in there. Probably just 8. But i think there would be a market for a 10+ shot revolver in .327. I'd get one even if it was a big honker.
Old September 23, 2012, 11:19 PM   #17
Aristides

+1 on the 8-Round 327 Mag.

I have the S&W 8-Round 357 Magnum snubbie ("Bloodworks" gun), and I love it. Carry it IWB in my bellyband quite easily.

I would buy a snubbie, 8-Round 327 in heart-beat. Actually I would probably buy four. Two for me, one for my wife, and one for son!
Old April 9, 2013, 01:09 AM   #18
Cosmodragoon

How does the Smith and Wesson 632 Carry Comp Pro stack up against the GP100? Right now, these are the two leading production choices.

Based on an armchair analysis:

S&W 632

Porting: Supposedly reduces recoil but is it necessary in this platform? I've heard net wisdom that porting may mean more cleaning and brings more flash into your line of sight when shooting in lower light.

Size: The J-Frame is far more concealable and this has the barrel length to hit nicely. You've got one more shot than a similar .38 or .357.

Looks: The unique tapered underlug makes an already attractive revolver beautiful. Of course, that underlug really does look better on a longer barrel or with the SSR style. (For example: the 686 Plus Pro)

GP100

Size: This beast is bigger and heavier. On one hand, this should mean lower recoil and better accuracy. (How does this stack up against the 632's porting?) On the other hand, the added bulk might bump this one out of the comfortable carry range depending on your concealment needs.

You are up to 7 shots here, though I'd wonder why in this weight class I wouldn't just opt for the 7-shot 686 Plus in more robust .357 magnum. I know that .327 is supposed to be a boon to the recoil-sensitive, but with 40oz of steel and a 4" barrel, how steep is the jump to .357?

Looks: This isn't an ugly gun but it isn't slick like the 632 either. It looks like the rugged workhorse it probably is. Just as in the weight case above, I feel that this sturdy chunk of steel just calls out for the .357. This is totally subjective, but I feel like .327 is a more elegant, sophisticated, and specialized round. On a whimsical level, it feels more suited to the more stylish 632.

Overall, I really wish that Smith had released this in a comfortable 7-shot K-frame or even, if possible, an 8-shot L-frame.
Old April 9, 2013, 03:39 AM   #19
Sevens

Lots of folks agree that Smith & Wesson should have this one in a K-Frame. Some folks actually have one, as revolver God Hamilton Bowen alters the chambers on the Smith & Wesson 16-4 to accommodate the round. The real problem is finding a Model 16-4.

Now then, if you really wanted a closer comparison, it would be the Model 632 up against not the GP-100, but the SP-101 in .327 Federal.

And yeah, in my opinion anyway, full-nuts .327 Federal, while it has a pretty ridiculous muzzle blast, doesn't even approach the felt recoil you get hit with from a .357 Magnum, and if you are talking a 4-inch, even worse.

Recoil is obviously very personal and incredibly subjective. But I can tell you from my own experience that I have shot .327 Federal top-drawer 100 grain bullet handloads from:

SP-101
SP-101 Mag-na-Ported
GP-100
GP-100 Mag-na-Ported
and Blackhawk with 5.5" barrel

...and I own a number of .357 Magnums in both 4 and 6 inch flavors, K & L frames (and equivalent) and even with a 125 grain .357 Magnum round... if it's a full power 125gr round in .357 Mag, the felt recoil is much more substantial than what I feel from .327 Federal.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:01 AM   #20
Billy Shears

Quote:
...full-nuts .327 Federal, while it has a pretty ridiculous muzzle blast...
That's the single most compelling reason stopping me from ever buying the ported Smith. Even in the SP-101 the blast of the .327 Fed is pretty sinus-clearing, especially in an indoor range; to the point where people shooting next to me have asked the range master to switch lanes to get away from me. In a short, ported barrel I can only imagine what it would be like.
Old April 9, 2013, 01:23 PM   #21
Sevens

For me... it's the crazy price tag on the Smith & Wesson. And that's a two-fold problem because that price tag has kept others from buying it too and if I can't find one used, I'm not really all too interested.

Have you ever shot .30 Carbine from a handgun? The noise is almost legendary and the blast is pretty horrendous. Big -BOOM- and stuff goes flying, there's nothing tame about it EXCEPT for the recoil. It's like all your senses are poked, but without the beating on your hands.

Of course, the .30 Carbine Blackhawk is a 7.5-inch barrel, so that blast is moved a bit further away from you and I am sure that matters & helps. The .30 Carb also runs a slightly lower pressure. Otherwise, the two cartridges are very similar and the experience--or at least the muzzle blast & lack of violent recoil are also quite similar.
Old April 9, 2013, 02:22 PM   #22
Billy Shears

Quote:
Have you ever shot .30 Carbine from a handgun? The noise is almost legendary and the blast is pretty horrendous.

Good comparison. That is precisely what I think of when I fire .327 out of the short barreled SP-101.

The blast and the flinching I developed just weren't worth it to me so I sold it off. I'm still holding out for a Ruger Single Six in .327 with a 6 inch barrel.

A guy can dream...
Old April 9, 2013, 02:25 PM   #23
shafter

It would have been a great round in some of the old Smith and Wesson K frames.
Old April 9, 2013, 02:47 PM   #24
Sevens

Quote:
It would have been a great round in some of the old Smith and Wesson K frames.
Post #19 in this thread, or any post by TFL'er "Hammer It" or run to Hamilton Bowen's website or Google 16-4.

It lives!

I feel like I shouldn't -ever- mention it, because spotting a 16-4 is hard enough all on it's own, I don't need to alert others to them.
Old April 9, 2013, 03:09 PM   #25
jimbob86

Quote:
Here is a 29 page thread on just this topic.

Aarond
It's up to 39 pages now, Aarond!

Great Thread, that.

Tags
.327 revolver