The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 19, 2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Yacobid

PPQ, G19, SR9c - Finialy got to shoot em

So while waiting for my permit I have been hunting for my first handgun. I have been doing a ton of research online and narrowed it down to the following

M&P 9c
Walther PPQ
Ruger SR9c
Glock 19

I am looking for mainly a HD and range use with occasional carry (thinking about getting a single stack sometime later on) So I got a chance to go to my local shop put my hands on the guns in question and shoot a few too. Here is what i found

M&P 9c - grip was supper comfy and narrow which I liked. It seemed to be balanced really well butI had one MAJOR complaint about it. It felt like I could only get a good purchase on the bottom of the gun. I felt like I needed to grip it higher but couldnt because my middle finger would hit the bottom of the trigger guard. if it had a cutout like the glock it would have been by far the most comfortable. I didnt get to shoot this one, but even dry firing the trigger was horrible. This would def need an APEX kit to be a conender

Ruger SR9c - I really wanted to like this one, I really did. It feel good in the hands, was able to get all 3 fingers on the grip easy. Didnt scream comfort but wasnt uncomfortable at all. It was a great size for HD, Range, or carry. Shooting it is where I lost it. I wasnt a fan of the sites, for some reason I couldnt stay focused properly. The trigger was very smooth but had almost no pre travel. Almost felt like a SA trigger. Broke way to early for me. I grouped very well within a 4" group but was kinda all over the target

Glock 19 - not too much to say about the glock that hasnt already been said.... the gen 4 was much more comfortable to me than the gen3. The grip angle was noticible but not so much I wouldnt own it. Its a great size for any use and was very accurate and easy to shoot. I was shooting 3" groups at 50 ft pretty easy and I hated the stock rear U shaped sites. Kinda felt like owning a Honda, does everything very well but nothing really stands out either. Would def have to get stock night sites or aftermarket.

Walther PPQ - VERY FUN gun. Grip was very comfortable but it does sit higher in your hand than the other 3. Sites are fantastic, but then again I like some daylight bwtn the sights. The PPQ is all about the trigger though. The trigger pull is silky smooth and the break surprised me most of the time. The reset is awesome. There is almost no travel before the reset. This is a very soft shooter but there is a bit more muzzle flip than the rest which makes follow up shots a bit more time consuming but not impossible. This was by far the most accurate of the group. The PPQ would be ready to go out of the box

So I think I have narrowed it down to the Walther or the Glock..... anyone wanna throw their 2 cents in? I welcome other options as well. I have a couple more free rentals coming my way
Old November 19, 2012, 08:47 PM   #2
SunDog3478

I shot a Glock and an XDm before I bought my PPQ as my first handgun. I've since shot a Sig P250 and a couple of non-9mm guns. None of the ones I've tried so far work near as well for me (or my wife or my son for that matter) as the PPQ.

We do not intend to carry our PPQ at all. If I decide to carry - I will likely get something else.

All my friends who have tried the PPQ have been extremely impressed with the feel, trigger and acuracy.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Vermonter

Glock Because

It is the semi auto that has proven to be reliable enough to trust my life with. You can adjust to it easily enough. I agree with you on the sites which is why I love my Tru Glo TFO night sites.
Old November 19, 2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Kevin_d77

Try out the XD as well. Great guns!
Old November 19, 2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Yacobid

for the Glock, would you go with stock night sights or aftermarket?

I was looking at the XD and XDM ..... I have heard mixed reviews on them.... thoughts
Old November 19, 2012, 09:43 PM   #6
kinoons

Walther PPQ is the best production pistol being made at this point in time.
Old November 19, 2012, 09:58 PM   #7
Valerko

I have a PPQ and Glock 35 with 3.5lbs disconnector.
Ended up using PPQ for my clubs Top Shot and placed 3rd against HK USP and Springfield TRP. Not bad for $600 plastic gun.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:13 PM   #8
SunDog3478

I have shot that XDm (the compact one) twice now. Once before I bought the PPQ - and once after I had 550 rounds through the PPQ. The second time I shot it back to back with the PPQ - i thought that there was less a less harsh recoil with the XDm than with the PPQ.

Both time I noticed that I was not real accurate with it. Also noticed that the guy who owns it and shoots it all the time is not real accurate with it. On this last outing, he was missing big with the XDm and I was hitting well with the PPQ. I tried the XDm and I was missing big. Went back to the PPQ and was hitting well again. This was just at 7 yds btw. Same ammo in both (Aguila 124gr FMJ).
Old November 19, 2012, 10:37 PM   #9
TunnelRat

All of those pistols are fine. All it comes down to is user preference.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 19, 2012, 10:43 PM   #10
RBid

I own, carry*, and prefer the Walther PPQ. It is simply my favorite pistol on the market. Being in the business, I get to handle a lot. In my opinion, the Walther PPQ and Caracal C are the best pistols on the market, below about $900-- and better than most above that.

The * is because I carry a Ruger SR9c IWB during warm months, or when I think I may need to take my jacket off. I carry the PPQ OWB at work, and concealed OWB under an over garment. The PPQ conceals well in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:54 PM   #11
Yacobid

RBID

What do you think of the SR9c trigger. I really wanted to like this gun. my two biggest grip is I thought the safety was a little small and hard to operate and the trigger. I found it to have little to no pre travel and felt much like a SA trigger.

Is it possible to carry the PPQ IWB. if I got the ppq I would prob only carry in winter and get the pps for summer carry

I like the idea of a single system but could always do the PPQ for range and HD and get a 19, shield, pps, ext for edc? Is a single system that big of an advantage if you put in your time to practice?
Old November 19, 2012, 11:06 PM   #12
RBid

It's easy to build and maintain proficiency with two handguns. If you're willing to put in the time, two works great. The PPQ is a great HD, duty, and range weapon. It can be carried IWB, in the right system. If you're planning to do that, be prepared to get a quality holster (Crossbreed Super Tuck, etc), and a gun belt. That set up goes a very long way.

I prefer to have a deep conceal option, as well. The SR9c covers that nicely. As far as the trigger goes, I love it. Specifically, the presence of the thumb safety allows me to love the lack of take up, and smooth pull of the SR9c. That pistol is a very combat capable platform. The trigger makes it easy to shoot with speed and accuracy.

That's my .02
Old November 19, 2012, 11:57 PM   #13
TarDevil

Quote:
I prefer to have a deep conceal option, as well. The SR9c covers that nicely. As far as the trigger goes, I love it. Specifically, the presence of the thumb safety allows me to love the lack of take up, and smooth pull of the SR9c. That pistol is a very combat capable platform. The trigger makes it easy to shoot with speed and accuracy.
What he said!

Never shot the Walther, but couldn't warm up to the others like the SR9c. It's with me constantly.
Old November 20, 2012, 08:48 AM   #14
dayman

If it's a toss up I'd try to handle them both again.
What I'd do it point both at a target instinctively, and then look down the sights and see which lines up closer to where you wanted it.
For me the PPQ points very naturally. It does have a bit more muzzle flip than some other guns, but I find - again, just for me - my follow ups are not slowed significantly due to the fact that after it flips up, it comes back down and lines it's self up nicely. My initial shot is generally faster too, for the same reason.

I narrowed things down to the same 2 guns when I was shopping, and decided that I liked them both. I wound up getting the PPQ, but I do plan on getting the G19 at some point. There is no bad choice there.

As far as the reliability concerns with the PPQ, IMHO they're unfounded. The PPQ is basically a P99 variant, and the P99's been pretty thoroughly tested and vetted.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:48 AM   #15
RBid

Regarding PPQ reliability:

Same recoil spring as the P99. In a nutshell, the drivetrain has a 15-16 year history of reliability. Mine has 4,300 flawless rounds through it. Glock hasn't been "THE reliable pistol" for a long time. There are a lot of very reliable weapons on the market.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:51 AM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

Perfect...I have both.. I bought them both within a few months of each other.

Which do I carry more? The Glock 19 4th gen.

Both are really accurate in my hands. The PPQ I literally bought, and went upstairs and fired 300 rounds out of it. No lube, cleaning, nothing. Awesome gun. I bought it mainly for CCW because of the mag release being close to impossible to engage when being carried at 4:00 and taking a seat somewhere.

Both really accurate once again, the trigger helps out a lot with this. The PPQ definitely has a better trigger. Though for some reason. I cannot take the PPQ as serious as I want to. I don't know why. I carried it well, shot it great. 2" groups, etc. Just something about it. I usually always have night sights on my main carry guns. It's been a mission to find night sight varieties for the PPQ. I have them on my Glock. Plus custom stippling by yours truly. I also don't mind the Glock getting banged up.

Both are 9mm's, both have jokingly light recoil to me. I learned to shoot with .40 and .45 maybe that's why? However, yes. The Glock 19 has lighter recoil. Just a pinch. But still noticeable.

Mags interchange with my 17..I've carried Glocks for CCW, duty, you name it. Maybe I'm just more comfortable with them..don't ask. I'm not 100% why I carry the Glock 90% of the time CCW instead of the PPQ. But they're both awesome guns. Again. Just can't take the PPQ as serious. Maybe I just need more shooting with it. I'm talking..heavy shooting. Running, moving targets, drills...just good ol' abuse.

Anyways. I know I rambled a lot of personal stuff. But hope it helps. Any questions feel free to ask.

Quote:
Regarding PPQ reliability:

Same recoil spring as the P99. In a nutshell, the drivetrain has a 15-16 year history of reliability. Mine has 4,300 flawless rounds through it. Glock hasn't been "THE reliable pistol" for a long time. There are a lot of very reliable weapons on the market.

^ Not to nit pick. But the signature says that's your choice of course. It's not biased is it? lol What are you basing the unreliability of Glock on? ALL gun manufacturers have lemons, ALL gun manufacturers have had issues. If it's a personal experience that YOU had. Please share. Not a friend of a friends brothers cousin or anything. Just curious.

Biased statements make me itch.

I own both.

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; November 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:56 AM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
It's been a mission to find night sight varieties for the PPQ.
Any of the night sights for the P99 will work on the PPQ. Should be able to find offerings from Meprolight and Trijicon.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 20, 2012, 10:57 AM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Any of the night sights for the P99 will work on the PPQ. Should be able to find offerings from Meprolight and Trijicon.
Thanks,

The lengths to search for night sights. lol I heard about that.

Is it flush? Or is there customizing necessary?
Old November 20, 2012, 11:21 AM   #19
dayman

I'm not sure what you mean by fitting flush, but they fit exactly like the sights it comes with fit.

- I think the point that RBid was trying to make is that there are a lot of guns out there now that are just as reliable as Glocks. Not that glocks are less reliable.
Old November 20, 2012, 11:41 AM   #20
JFootin

I went through the same decision process. Almost got a G19, but could not get past the "holding a 2x4" grip ergos with my small, crippled hands. The trigger needs some money put into it to be really right. The need for trigger enhancements turned me away from the M&P. I personally don't like the trigger on the SR9. I almost got a Caracal C, then they had a safety recall and none were available. So I focused in on the PPQ and was fortunate to get one of the recent batch of Q9s that hit the market about a month ago and are now just about gone. I haven't had much time with my PPQ yet, but from what I can tell so far I am VERY HAPPY!
Old November 20, 2012, 11:42 AM   #21
RBid

Constantine,

I don't recommend the PPQ because I have one. I have a PPQ because it's what I recommend. I work for a dealer. If I wanted to have more in my sig line, I could easily do so. There's no need, though. The two handguns in my sig are my preferred choices.

This isn't to say that there aren't a lot of "right answers", though. If you re-read my earlier post, you'll notice that I said "THE reliable", as opposed to "A reliable". I didn't say that Glocks are unreliable. I said that they aren't the only ultra-reliable option. Huge difference.
Old November 20, 2012, 11:42 AM   #22
loose_holster_dan

I carry my ppq all the time. it actually carries better imo than the glock. smoother edges don't print as bad. had the glock 19 for awhile, but it printed terribly. i shoot the walther much better too.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old November 20, 2012, 11:51 AM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

dayman
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by fitting flush, but they fit exactly like the sights it comes with fit.
After I asked that I asked if any customization was necessary. That's what I mean by fitting flush.

I once grabbed the coil ignition from a Camry and put it for emergency use on a 1990 Lexus ES250 and it didn't fit flush. But it worked.

P99 / PPQ different models. I have reason to ask.

RBid - Good stuff! Thanks for the response.

Dan -
Quote:
I carry my ppq all the time. it actually carries better imo than the glock. smoother edges don't print as bad. had the glock 19 for awhile, but it printed terribly. i shoot the walther much better too.

Nice..they both print about the same for my body type. lol

I shoot them both evenly. I don't need to try as much with the PPQ though.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:58 PM   #24
dayman

Like flush side to side, or up and down? I'm also going to presume we're talking about the rear - the front just bolts on like a glock sight.

They're adjustable so the side to side depends on how far you adjust them.
As far as vertically there's a little spacing - like with the stock ones - presumably to keep them loose enough that you can adjust them with the screw as apposed to a punch.

To get a better idea, just look at the sights that came with the PPQ - the P99 sights are identical, and fit identically. Some companies have even started labeling them as P99/PPQ sights.

I've also heard that some of the PPS sights will work - there's a thread around here somewhere - but it's a bit more major of an operation than just undoing the screw and changing them out for P99 designed night sights. The upside is that the PPS sights are a bit lower profile.
Old November 20, 2012, 01:20 PM   #25
tahunua001

Quote:
I was looking at the XD and XDM ..... I have heard mixed reviews on them.... thoughts
not really mixed reviews, they are just like your original post either there are things that shooters like or there are things that they don't. I have owned 3 of them, 2 of them were first run models with no proven track records and 1 was a limited run gun. the 2 in 45ACP were the greatest handguns I've ever owned. I only traded the full sized because I wanted a 9mm for cheaper plinking but there is no way I'm ever giving up the compact. the 9mm XDM I traded for needed a bit of a break in that the 45s did not but now is starting to group quite well at 15 yards. all of them have the same trigger feel, the 9mm needed the larger back strap to feel identical to the 45s and though the sights are a bit lacking for a home defense gun they are still perfectly suited to a service piece.

glad you liked the PPQ though, one of these days I've going to have to try one of them out for myself.