The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 14, 2012, 10:06 AM   #1
AUG

bought my first bad glock

While I have been a Glock fan at times over the last 15yrs due to a high degree of reliability I must now pass on my latest experience which was quite poor.

I bought a new gen3 G19 manufactured in 08/2012. I wanted a gen4 due to the much improved grip (I hate the stupid hump) but passed because of so many gen4's having problems. Unkown to me at the time the new gen3 9mm's have also developed problems.

I took my new gen3 g19 to the range to start my 500rd reliability test I do to all carry guns. About 10rds into the first mag I got plunked on the top of the head. In the second mag one round made it about 6 inches out of the pistol and landed on my right wrist and another one shot out to the 9:00 position. I didn't even know that can happen. Needless to say this kept up at a pace of ~2 rds per magazine. I quit at 250rds. There were no malfunctions just brass in a 180 degree arch behind me and at my feet.

If I had not been wearing glasses and a boonie hat I would have been burned several times. While on the range this is a nuisance in a real shooting it could cost your life if one took hot brass to the eye and while some gun nerds may wear shooting glasses and a boonie hat as daily attire I don't.

I did my internet research and found that new glock gen3's are having many of the same problems as the gen4's. I called glock to get the updated extractor and ejector and the moron on the phone said nothing is wrong with the gen3's. I told him several hundred people on the net disagree. I asked him to send the updated parts. He refused. I told him I was a glock armorer and he then said he would send the parts but they won't help since nothing is wrong with the gen3 guns.

The dufus sent a new extractor and ejector but they were not the new parts. They were the crap parts that are causing the problem to begin with.

Luckily the gunshop bought the gun back and I only lost $15 on the whole deal.

The only redeaming quality of glocks imo was reliability. Without that I see no reason to own one.

Just passing on info to others. MIM parts have destroyed many gun makers and it appears this new MIM extractor may cost glock some customers.
Old October 14, 2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Amsdorf

Sorry to hear about your problems, but I do not think you should be making such sweeping generalizations about Gen 3 Glocks. Your assertions are too general to be accurate.

You obviously have a pistol that needs some tuning.

Good luck with it.
Old October 14, 2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Onward Allusion

It's not malfunctioning, only tossing brass in a direction you don't want. What you are describing is not unusual for a new pistol with a stiff recoil spring. I would have run another 1,000 rounds through it and I would bet that the "issue" would disappear.
Old October 14, 2012, 10:55 AM   #4
AUG

Maybe you guys are right. I wonder why the 20 or so other glocks I owned didn't do this? Or the 100 or so issued glocks where I work?

Stiff recoil spring lol
Old October 14, 2012, 10:57 AM   #5
AUG

What sweeping generalzation did I make?
Old October 14, 2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Amsdorf

"the new gen3 9mm's have also developed problems."

You made that assertion without any sort of qualification. You should have said, "My Gen3 has developed a problem and I've noticed that some others have as well."

"new glock gen3's are having many of the same problems as the gen4's"

You made this assertion without any qualification. "Some Gen3 Glocks have had some of the same problems that some Gen4s have had"

That's the difference between a more accurate comment and a sweeping generalization.

Then, to top it all off, you condemn all Glocks and assert that they are no longer reliable.

This is ridiculous overstatement.

In fact, I'm almost tempted to call "baloney" on your whole post. Seems more like a trolling remark than a legitimate post.

That's my .02

FWIW.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:03 AM   #7
AUG

Are you a lawyer? Because that is some nonsense a lawyer would say.

New gen3's have developed problems. Word it how you like to suit you.

I could really care less what you think about anything. I just wanted to post my experience for others to see.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Amsdorf

How about you just stop trying to condemn Glocks in general and get a grip on reality?
Old October 14, 2012, 11:07 AM   #9
AUG

lol at you guys
Old October 14, 2012, 11:09 AM   #10
Amsdorf

If there is any LOL to be done, it is at you for posting such an uninformed, inaccurate and silly set of remarks over your one bad experience with one Glock pistol. Get a grip.

Last edited by Amsdorf; October 14, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:10 AM   #11
AUG

lol at you again

are you one of those desperate glock freaks or something?

If you doubt my experience that is fine but what happened happened and I wanted people to know about it.

NEW gen3 are not a safe alternative to gen4's.

I could really care less what you say about me. The words of a internet lawyer/commando does not really shape my day.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:13 AM   #12
Onward Allusion

Quote:
AUG
Maybe you guys are right. I wonder why the 20 or so other glocks I owned didn't do this? Or the 100 or so issued glocks where I work?

Stiff recoil spring lol
Good gawd, LOL? Really? Because I indicated that it could be a cause?

Listen, a lot of guns need a break-in as much as some people refuse to believe. OK - you own 20 Glocks and now you had one that needed a break-in. You yourself said that it didn't malfunction - only toss brass in your direction. Do you have any idea how minute this "issue" is? I guess you will never know whether it was only in need of a break-in or not 'cause you gave up after 250 rounds.

Remember, just because it is a Glock, doesn't automatically mean that it is guaranteed to run 100% out of the box. Oh, btw, I guess it did run 100% out of the box based on what you'd described. Only it shot brass in your direction.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:16 AM   #13
tahunua001

I've bought 5 handguns in my lifetime from 22lr to 45ACP, all were NIB and none of them spit brass 180* like described. this is not an issue with a new gun and stiff springs, it's an issue with a poor extractor/ejector design. it's theads like this that make me even more irritated by Glock's "PERFECTION".

although I do not consider this a major malfunction as much as a major irritant I would agree that if someone is going to fork out the money for a gun it should function 100%, if it doesn't then the company MUST be willing to make it right by the customer, not by their track record. it was my understanding that the generation 4 recalls were to replace all the springs, ejector, and extractor with those of the generation 3s in order to fix the problem. if they are now making generation 3s with the same faulty parts then one must wonder why they would intentionally place known faulty parts in a known good design.

a lot of my friends come to me with questions when they are looking to buy a new gun, the two that always come up first are the M9/B92FS(being former military and it's a familiar design to them) and the Glock(varying calibers/models). I always told them to stay away from the 92/M9 since almost every specimen I ran into on active duty had problems and instead steered them towards the glock with the side note that they should test fire a variety of guns before making the decision. one day a buddy on the ship told me that I needed to come with him to the gun range because he just bought a brand new(one of the first off the line) GEN4 glock 17 and he wanted me to show him how it worked and how to clean it. I went with him to the range and had a horrible time with it, FTFs(nose down), poor accuracy, gritty trigger. I thought something was wrong so I went to the counter and rented a gen 3 17 and set up at the next booth and switched back and forth the gen 3 ran without hiccups and put everything into much tighter groups. I went back to the counter and asked if they had ever had problems with glocks and told them the situation and all they said was "go home and google gen 4 glock". I did that and came up with endless lists of guys that were having issues. since then I have always steered people towards gen 3s but apparently even that may not be an option anymore...

sorry for your loss, at least you have other glocks that work well enough. still doesn't make the situation any less annoying.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Chuckusaret

It is quite evident that some members can't believe the Glock has on going problems.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:24 AM   #15
AUG

Onward,

I agree it was not a stopage but erratic ejection is a problem. My complaint was something along the way on the gen3 had changed and had a negative impact on the gun. IMO if a glock does not run perfectly (i believe erratic ejection is a problem) I see no other redeaming qualities.

The whole reason I posted was I keep seeing people keep say get a gen 3 but the newest gen3's are not the same as the older gen3's.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:27 AM   #16
AUG

I have a early gen3 g17 baught used and I have over 10K rds through it and it has never even had a spring replaced and it has never had a malfunction or stopage of any sort. Not even ammo related. I don't believe the newer glocks gen3 or gen4 will have the same service record.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:28 AM   #17
Amsdorf

Do *some* Glock pistols have problems? Of course.

Do *all* or *most* or even a *high percentage* of Glocks have problems? Of course not.

Reality check, guys. That's all.

Old October 14, 2012, 11:29 AM   #18
mdThanatos

The newer Gen 3's are known to potentially have this issue but it still didn't stop me from buying a Glock 17 2 weeks ago, and yes it does have the ejection issue as well but it hasn't been a major issue where I get burned or hit on my head through 300 rounds. I can probably call and get the new parts but eh I am lazy.
Old October 14, 2012, 12:00 PM   #19
MikeGunz

My buddy got a Gen4 19 and yeah it does tend to throw brass in weird directions compared to my g22, and g26. Does it bother me? Not at all. You are definitely over reacting. Its not that big of a deal.
Old October 14, 2012, 12:03 PM   #20
tahunua001

Quote:
Do *some* Glock pistols have problems? Of course.

Do *all* or *most* or even a *high percentage* of Glocks have problems? Of course not.

Reality check, guys. That's all.
I hear this statement all the time but I am willing to venture with an ever increasing number of people getting burned on their Glock purchases, being slighted by Glock CS, and that ever so slight yet ever increasing amount of "my glock is broken" threads that the percentage is moving gradually toward higher.

when there were only a few hundred thousand M&Ps, XDs, SRs, and other polymer framed pistols out there and millions of glocks then your argument was still valid yet now all of those models are out in numbers comparable to modern production glocks(please omit gen 1 and 2 glocks from my analysis) and yet glocks still have more complaints with the exception of maybe the SR peening issues caused my insufficient lubing.

Glock's "Perfection" died about 3 years ago and completely skipped "good funeral home" to land straight at "Mediocre Hills Cemetery). the fact is that small little matters like erratic ejection patterns are not a major concern to many shooters out there, all it has taken is a single person asking"is this normal?" to suddenly make a lot of shooters realize, "hey my gun does that too, it's kindof annoying, actually." and come forward with their experiences. I am willing to assume that the number of issues with the glock are higher than reported but many don't consider a gritty trigger or erratic ejection pattern a serious concern in a night stand gun/range toy.
Old October 14, 2012, 12:03 PM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

I am going to do some people a favor and close this before words are typed that cannot be untyped.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread