The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2005, 02:54 PM   #1
pdh

Dents In The Shoulder.......

Gents....I am preping a batch of brass and noticed a few of the cases have dents in the shoulders from over doing it on the lub.......

Are these cases absolutely safe to use?

Will be using these case in my M1.....

Also......when you guys size your brass...do you lube the neck ?
Heard of some people do not due to the shoulder area getting the dents....
Old August 26, 2005, 04:44 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

Depends on the dents. Small dents fireform out, but I'd worry about a case dented very heavily at several points on the shoulder.

Most dies have a lube vent hole that can get plugged. Check for that. Lube you use can be a problem, too. Never had dents with a spray lube. I mostly use lanolin applied to the palms of my hands. Rub a handful of cases back and forth. If the cases look greasy, I rub more dry cases with them. Only takes a trace of lanolin.
Old August 26, 2005, 04:54 PM   #3
Wildalaska

I dont lube the neck at all.

I use the RCBS case lube pad, but am very sparing of lube

WildgreasythumbAlaska
Old August 26, 2005, 09:51 PM   #4
deerhunter17

I also don`t lube the necks or else they will dent in.
Old August 27, 2005, 11:50 PM   #5
Smokey Joe

Lube dents

PDH--My experience echoes Leftoverdj's. A small dent or 2 from too much lube on the case will fireform right out. Never had a really large dent from too much lube. I'm leery of bottleneck cases with much more than a little shoulder damage. That's where the case headspaces and seals.

I have an autoloader that is really rough on cases. The cases with banged-up shoulders I just toss. Chalk up the loss to the cost of feeling safe about my ammo.

Any case for any reason you are not happy with, IMHO, you oughta toss. Brass costs less than a ruined rifle--'WAY less than a ruined hand or eye.

--Smokey Joe
Old August 28, 2005, 10:48 AM   #6
Jeffro250

First off, whatever lube your using, chuck it out the window and pick up some Hornady One-Shot(the areosol stuff, not the pump)...theres really no "over doing it" with this stuff and ive yet to have a problem with dented or crushed necks while using it. To answer your question though, the dents can be fixed. If their small dents, firing them normally wont hurt a thing with your normal loads(as long as their not screamin hot) and will iron them right out. If their large dents(probably not from just excessive lube), re-fire form them using low charges of a fast pistol powder. Do a seach for fireforming brass and it will tell you all about how to do it.

If all else fails and you do decide to toss em, send them my way...ill GLADLY take them off your hands!
Old August 28, 2005, 12:20 PM   #7
impact

I would just reload the cases and shoot. I have fireformed many cases like the 7mmTCU, 357 Herrett and 358 JDJ. For me to get a good fireform I load at my target load and shoot. If I load much less The shoulders of the case will not get blowed out for a nice tight fit in the chamber.

You can see why I would not worry about the dents. But next time use less case lube like Wildalaska said. My 2oz bottle of case lube is 12 years old. I think there is still 1oz in the bottle. I think this stuff will last forever.

I take and put one thin line of case lube on the pad and smooth it out with a knife. Thats good for at least 100 rounds. If the die looks like there is to much lube I will run a dry case in the die for resize. You got to be carefull doing this. It's not hard to get a stuck case. If the dry case sized with out any problems! there was to much lube in the die. If the case was a little hard to extract. there was the right amount of lube in the die.

With autos you should bump the shoulder with your die to insure that the gun will go into battery when chambered. With a bolt gun you really only need to resize about 75% of the neck and then stop.
Old August 28, 2005, 02:12 PM   #8
pdh

Thank You

Appreciate the info