The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 7, 2005, 10:58 PM   #1
rifle59

Hunting holster recs

I have a Ruger SBH Hunter in 7.5 inch bbl. Which type of holster is the most comfortable to hunt with? Crossdraw belt/chest/etc? I would like to be able to sit in a vehicle with it on. This would be for handgun hunting, not as a "back-up". I would also be wearing binoculars with the Crooked Horn strap system.
Old February 8, 2005, 10:50 AM   #2
Greybeard

Got the same pistola here. What's worked out well for me for long walks in pursuit of Mr. Big Pig is Bianchi's nylon HUSH holster. Padded shoulder strap really helps for packing the beast. I recall it took a while on internet searches to locate one in stock and it ran about $90 with shipping.

Altho the basic design is for cross draw with the gun positioned with handle about mid-chest, I adjusted mine to drop down so that handle is closer to belt level around 8:00 to 8:30 (so as not to hang up too bad in heavy cover).

With adjustment the other way, it can also be carried closer to armpit - although, even if under an unzipped jacket, strap coming diagonally across chest is not necessarily "concealed". I've not carried it much this way to be able to provide more info. about "comfort" level. I may know more though come March when hog season where we'll hunt changes to "archery only". (TX law allows license holders to carry handguns "concealed" - and I ain't gonna shoot Mr. or Mrs. Big Pig with an arrow without carrying a substantial pistol for back-up.)

The other ($100 plus or minus) set-up that I sometimes use for the SBH is a military shoulder harness and web belt with the pistola in leather holster around 3:30. The shoulder harness helps distribute the weight of the hand cannon - plus any other widgets I need to put in bag on off-side of web belt.
Old February 10, 2005, 11:13 AM   #3
Ruger # 1

For hunting use, especially since you'll be in a vehicle at times, I have found the crossdraw method of carry to be the most comfortable while keeping one's handgun readily accessible. I have never been impressed with shoulder holsters however.