The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 28, 2017, 05:28 PM   #1
cloud8a

Today's Range results, sight in.

These are the the last 5 shots of the day after I spent a good while adjusting the iron sights on other targets. The sights were way off.

The two shots that are the farthest out are the first and last shots I took. The first I pulled the trigger too soon and the last, the range master made his "One more minute announcement and I hurried. This is the first time I was able to fire my rifle without having to learn how to make it fire, I could just focus on the targets and sights. I'm not sure what to think. I am wondering if these groups should be more 75-100 yard groups instead of 50 yards at bench rest. Is more sight adjustment needed or more practice or both?

50 Yards
50. CVA Frontier
Patched round ball
85 grain shot load
FFFG American Pioneer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0299.JPG (144.6 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0296.JPG (127.5 KB, 87 views)
Old February 28, 2017, 06:10 PM   #2
FrontierGander

probably a little to the right.

Not a bad start for any new rifle.

Did you recover any patches to inspect for holes in the patches?

Also, what thickness of patch did you use?
Old February 28, 2017, 06:30 PM   #3
cloud8a

Quote:

probably a little to the right.

Not a bad start for any new rifle.

Did you recover any patches to inspect for holes in the patches?

Also, what thickness of patch did you use?
The patches were Cabelas brand and I cant remember the thickness. They were thin enough to see the bore hole and outline when I put them over the bore. I pulled them out of the original package and put them in an empty cap tin. They fit perfect.

I didn't know to recover the shot patches for inspection. I will definitely do that next time.

I punched rear sight to the left a good ways cause it was hitting to the right. I probably went a little too far.
Old February 28, 2017, 10:47 PM   #4
Model12Win

Wish I could go shoot BP on a Tuesday! Only decent outdoor range around here is open on the weekend... every other weekend! Nice groups.
Old February 28, 2017, 11:51 PM   #5
cloud8a

Quote:
Wish I could go shoot BP on a Tuesday! Only decent outdoor range around here is open on the weekend... every other weekend! Nice groups.
I have to say it is very nice to be at the range on a Tuesday morning while the crowd is at work. But I pay for it come holidays that I would only get off if they fell on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Pros and cons of the emergency essential workforce.
Old March 1, 2017, 03:18 PM   #6
ThomasT

Quote:
The patches were Cabelas brand and I cant remember the thickness. They were thin enough to see the bore hole and outline when I put them over the bore. I pulled them out of the original package and put them in an empty cap tin. They fit perfect.
Cabelas patches almost caused me drop BP shooting. I bought a cabelas starter kit with my first BP rifle, a cabelas 54 hawken. The patches were .010 thick and way too thin to stand the heat. They were just burned up crisp. I posted this book in your other thread. It is what kept me from dropping out of BP shooting. It is well worth the tiny amount being asked for it. There are several more available if you miss this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Complete...QAAOSw9GhYkVWQ

Last edited by ThomasT; March 4, 2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old March 4, 2017, 06:37 AM   #7
rebs

I have that book and will say it is worth every penny even at full retail price. It contains a wealth of information
Old March 4, 2017, 11:08 PM   #8
B.L.E.

With open sights, changing light conditions can move your point of impact. Just be aware of this when shooting on a partly cloudy day. Serious target shooters often hold their fire if a cloud shades the shooting area. They pay just as much attention to wind downrange. A mild cross wind can drift a roundball an amazing amount of distance at 100 yards.
Old March 5, 2017, 12:53 AM   #9
Irish Jack

The thin commercial patches are not reliable fire walls. Try using a .015" Cotton drill from Walmart. I use the Hoppe's Black Powder patch lube. You groups will improve. I would not move the sights until I tried a tight weave patch.
Old March 6, 2017, 03:20 PM   #10
cloud8a

Quote:
With open sights, changing light conditions can move your point of impact. Just be aware of this when shooting on a partly cloudy day. Serious target shooters often hold their fire if a cloud shades the shooting area. They pay just as much attention to wind downrange. A mild cross wind can drift a roundball an amazing amount of distance at 100 yards.
It was over cast that day and the wind was blowing at intervals hard enough to blow stuff off of the bench.

Last edited by cloud8a; March 6, 2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old March 6, 2017, 03:30 PM   #11
cloud8a

Quote:
The thin commercial patches are not reliable fire walls. Try using a .015" Cotton drill from Walmart. I use the Hoppe's Black Powder patch lube. You groups will improve. I would not move the sights until I tried a tight weave patch.
Those Cabelas patches I used seemed thin and discolored with age. They'd been in a plastic zip lock for a few years. Here's a pic of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0309.JPG (63.0 KB, 29 views)
Old March 7, 2017, 11:33 AM   #12
rebs

They look all dried out, you can relube them with bore butter
Old April 9, 2017, 12:28 AM   #13
cloud8a

Quote:
Irish
That cotton drill already comes cut? What section is it in?