The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 11, 2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Ryu825

Thinking about an AR

I'm thinking about buying an AR in the near future. I don't need it, but I need it . I don't know much about them, nor have I ever shot one. It's main purpose would be to entertain me at the range. I might keep it next to the bed or something but I think my 92fs is enough for hd. I'd like to keep price under $1000 but I'm willing to spend more for something good and worth a little extra. Is a piston ar better than a di or vice versa? Is one easier to clean than the other? What brands or particular models would you or wouldn't you recommend and why? Will my being left handed be a problem? I'd like for it to come with good iron sights, with or without the handle, adjustable stock, quad rail, and the dust cover. Feel free to show off your AR(s) to give me ideas for mods. Thanks in advance
Old May 11, 2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Mobuck

Most any AR will be up to the task of "entertaining at the range" and won't cost an arm and a leg. All sorts of open sights available but the only ones I use are A2 carry handle type. My Daughter is a lefty and she's shot several standard AR's w/o any problems as long as the upper has a brass deflector.
There are numerous options for well under $1000, magazines are available and cheaper than last year, and quite an array of ammo in the "under $400/K" range. Some careful shopping should put you into a decent AR with a dozen mags, a good case, and 1000 rounds of ammo for $1250 or less.
I assemble my own rifles and have several costing in the $400-500 range that are 100% functional and suitably accurate for targets or varmints out to 300 yards.
Old May 12, 2014, 06:05 PM   #3
raimius

Stag Arms makes lefty specific AR-15s, if that interests you.
Old May 12, 2014, 09:39 PM   #4
Boncrayon

thinking about an AR

Go to any reputable gun shops and look at the many options. Request a 5.56 barrel assembly that will also accept .223 ammo. You can get many options from the shelf! Look around befor you buy.

Bold Ideas (licensed by Colt in Texas) has competion ARs in your price range...I have one i love!
Old May 12, 2014, 11:35 PM   #5
J270

Colt 6920
Old May 13, 2014, 12:20 AM   #6
armed_librarian

I just recently bought my first AR. Bought it to be a range toy, nothing more. Ended up going with the Smith and Wesson MP15 Sport (the one with no dust cover or forward assist, IMO a range toy doesn't need either). I got it for right around $600 and my savings went towards a case, red dot, pmags, and ammo. Couldn't be happier. Accurate rifle and so far not a single hiccup.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:29 AM   #7
Brotherbadger

My first thought would be to not go with a quad rail. While there is nothing wrong with them, there are much lighter alternatives that do the job a quad rail does. Most companies now have their own proprietary rail systems, or you could always go with the new Keymod rails. Personally, i went Keymod as it is not only much lighter(8.5 oz for a 12 inch rail vs over 17oz for most quad rails at 12 inches), but because the design was open source any company's attachments will fit any other company's keymod rail. I've found that keymods don't eat up my hands the way quad rails do. Just some food for thought.

As for the rifle itself, I'd take a look at Palmetto State Armory. Their rifles are well made, and generally pretty low cost(especially when you get it on sale). My build has several PSA parts and they all seem very well made. Being a lefty, i'd look into an upper that has a lefty setup. Also, look into ambi charging handles(The Raptor seems to be the most popular. I love mine). Most charging handles are setup for right handed shooters. You can also get Ambi safety selector as well.

Have you thought about building one yourself? I knew absolutely nothing about the platform, and by the time i was done i knew that rifle inside and out(). If anything goes wrong with the gun, you will be able to diagnose the issue and fix it pretty quickly. It will also allow you to customize it to fit your exact wants. It's not for everybody, just throwing that out for your consideration.

As for extras, since it's a range toy i wouldn't go out and spend $500 on an Eotech or anything like that. Primary Arms has some excellent red dots/reflex sights for a fraction of the cost. Are they chinese built? Yes, but they are FAR from chinese junk. They are VERY well made and an excellent buy for the money. If you DO NOT plan to use it for HD, i'd highly recommend them.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "

Tags
ar15