The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 11, 2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Mike38

Illinois magazine ban on the move

Anti-gun Chicago Sen. Antonio Munoz today filed an amendment to SB1002 that would result in the banning and confiscation of all magazines over 10 rounds. If Munoz's bill passes, you'd go to jail longer for having a standard AR-15 magazine in your own home than you would if you robbed a liquor store. The Illinois State Rifle Association urges everyone to immediately contact your State Senator and politely tell the person who answers the phone that you are a law-abiding Illinois firearm owner who opposes SB1002. Advise the person further that you would like the Senator to vote against SB1002 should it come to the floor. Then be sure to pass this on to your friends and family, tell them to make calls as well, and post this alert to any and all Internet blogs and bulletin boards to which you belong.

Source: www.saferusa.com
Old May 11, 2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Dr Big Bird PhD

Wow confiscation??

That's pretty bad
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old May 11, 2013, 06:51 PM   #3
tyme
Staff

Quote:
If Munoz's bill passes, you'd go to jail longer for having a standard AR-15 magazine in your own home than you would if you robbed a liquor store.
Well, their priorities are in the right place. Longer sentences for people who are voting for the opposition, and shorter sentences for their own constituents.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old May 11, 2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Patriot86

A bill that was less extreme (Allowed grandfathering) was already defeated this year. This is ...well Insanity. Isin't that the definition of doing something over and over again expecting a different result?

Its funny but sad, Illinois is in financially worse shape than California. We have a huge pension issue, rampant unemployment, an illegal immigrant problem, a crime problem(in Chicago and several other areas), A spending problem and a problem of being anti business.

But what are the legislatures priorities?

Medical Marijuana, Gay marriage, anti gun measures, new regulation on Pee-Wee football....No one kicks the can down the road like Illinois.

Thats not even mentioning the deadline for CC put in place by the 7th.
Old May 12, 2013, 09:12 AM   #5
tulsamal

Quote:
A bill that was less extreme (Allowed grandfathering) was already defeated this year. This is ...well Insanity. Isin't that the definition of doing something over and over again expecting a different result?
Politics isn't real life! I don't know their legislature since I don't live there... but normally you do something like this to create a bargaining position. The "moderate" proposal already failed. You can give up or you can start the game over. So you come out with a bill that is so extreme that everybody feels threatened and gets involved. You fight _a little_ and then you slowly give ground. At some point you can claim to be the reasonable side of the argument because you have made so many compromises and STILL those awful people on the other side won't agree to vote for the bill.

Either some sort of compromise bill passes. Which you can then make more and more restrictive over time. Or you get to portray the other side as extremists. If everything breaks your way, maybe you can then defeat some of them in the next election cycle. And then you can pass some version of your bill.

Gregg