The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 16, 2013, 06:38 PM   #1
smokiniron

What are the essentials for Coyote hunting?

Hi all,.

In Utah, we're a high plains desert to mountainous area. It seems most coyotes are on the more arid areas, sagebrush and the like.

I'm looking for some advice on the essential equipment needed to harvest coyotes for pelts and state bounty.

My equipment thus far consists of a wounded rabbit call and a yelper call.
I have a Savage Weather Warrior 30-06 with Redfield 50 mm 3X9 scope,
A Marlin 336 SS XLR in 30-30 with a Skinner peep sight,
And a Smith and Wesson AR15 Sport with open MBUS sight.

And. lastly, scruffy eyesight due to cataract surgery.

The state offer $50/head and a decent pelt is $100 at the tannery.

Any thoughts on how to approach a Yote hunt?

Thanks!

-Smokiniron
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old March 16, 2013, 06:46 PM   #2
WillyKern69

Coyotes. Just half teasing. Coyotes are extremely smart and can sense if something is not right. Good Camo, a flat shooting rifle, and Bait (if Legal) or a electronic calling device(if legal). Also a whole lot of patience won't hurt.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:10 PM   #3
oryx

Also, don't spend all day on stand, call, wait, call, move if nothing shows up. I don't like to sit more than 30 min. Don't over call. If you have what they are after, they will come running. Pay attention to what they respond to, but try lots of things - they are opportunistic. Keep you eyes peeled and check behind you. They are pretty sneaky
Good luck.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:05 PM   #4
smokiniron

Portable blinds

I saw some portable corrugated plastic folding blinds at Cabelas last week. Any value to those?
Old March 16, 2013, 08:09 PM   #5
WillyKern69

I think if you can find a log or berm to hide behind. I would not buy a blind. Save some money.

WK
Old March 16, 2013, 08:58 PM   #6
oryx

Plastic portable blind not necessary. You could use a camo drape to help conceal. Utah has plenty of natural concealment you can use. I lived there for 16 yrs and hunted in almost all corners of the state.
Old March 16, 2013, 11:49 PM   #7
smokiniron

Orys, re Utah hunting

A friend took coyotes up on Promontory Point. Have you hunted that area?
Old March 17, 2013, 07:03 AM   #8
oryx

I have not hunted promontory, but familiar with the area. I used to do a lot of duck hunting around the bear river area and ride a lot of motorcycles all over the desert. Stick to a spot with some elevated terrain and and pick a couple spots that gives you plenty of visibility. Coyotes are pretty wary and will often use cover to move.
I also liked to hunt with a buddy who could do a "drop and roll" - we would drive along, get your gear in hand, make a quick stop and get out and he would roll on in the truck to another stand. As you know, out in the desert there's not much to stop sound and when you park and shut doors and then get ready, you are all ready busted. Sometimes you can divert their attention distracting them with a normal passing vehicle.
Old March 17, 2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Depends on which direction the dogs come to you. I've always had the best luck when hunting with a buddy. One w/ rifle the other w/ shotgun.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 17, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:22 PM   #10
gundog5

I hunted coyotes in utah for many years. I would recommend you use the 06/scope combination with 130/150 gr. If you are going to sell the pelts don't use hollowpoints as if they pass clear through they will blow a big hole in the hide. A scoped 22cal with solids are a better choice for minimal hide damage. I used a 220 swift and my buddy used a 22-250 with excellent results at very long ranges but we would accationally run into the contract BLM trapper/hunter who swore by the 222 remington for minimul hide dammage. We took a few feathers tied to a sage brush about 30ft away from us and tied some 20lb fishing line to the brush and back to where we were hidden, when I gave a few screems from my dying rabbit call my buddy would give a few short pulls on the line. Stay quite and still as coyotes have great hearing and sight. I never gave any spot more then 1 hour before moving. If you want a great coyote hunting area take the I-80 west toward wendover, you will pass the grantsville/tooele exit and just keep going on the I-80 to exit 77 (rowley/dugway). Take the offramp make a quick right and then quick left. This will put you on the frontage road next to the 80. Keep going and you will see a range of hills off in the right. That is where you are headed. WARNING, this place is no joke and it in the middle of no where. (SCULL VALLEY was on your left as you left the 80) Take extra water with you. But it is the best coyote hunting.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:57 PM   #11
alex0535

If I were going after coyotes for their fur, and I would at $100/ good pelt I would consider .30-06 or .30-30 way too much gun for coyote. I would be looking for a .17 Hornet, .204 ruger, .22-250 with a v-max bullet. Something that would go into the animal at a high velocity, turn into a bunch of little pieces, and not exit the other side. A tiny entrance wound and no exit wound.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:07 PM   #12
smokiniron

gundog5....

Quote:
I hunted coyotes in utah for many years. I would recommend you use the 06/scope combination with 130/150 gr. If you are going to sell the pelts don't use hollowpoints as if they pass clear through they will blow a big hole in the hide. A scoped 22cal with solids are a better choice for minimal hide damage. I used a 220 swift and my buddy used a 22-250 with excellent results at very long ranges but we would accationally run into the contract BLM trapper/hunter who swore by the 222 remington for minimul hide dammage. We took a few feathers tied to a sage brush about 30ft away from us and tied some 20lb fishing line to the brush and back to where we were hidden, when I gave a few screems from my dying rabbit call my buddy would give a few short pulls on the line. Stay quite and still as coyotes have great hearing and sight. I never gave any spot more then 1 hour before moving. If you want a great coyote hunting area take the I-80 west toward wendover, you will pass the grantsville/tooele exit and just keep going on the I-80 to exit 77 (rowley/dugway). Take the offramp make a quick right and then quick left. This will put you on the frontage road next to the 80. Keep going and you will see a range of hills off in the right. That is where you are headed. WARNING, this place is no joke and it in the middle of no where. (SCULL VALLEY was on your left as you left the 80) Take extra water with you. But it is the best coyote hunting.
Good localized advice! Thanks!
Old March 19, 2013, 10:48 AM   #13
Scorch

I used to hunt coyotes for pelts back in the 1980s. I would recommend a different rifle than the 30-06 if you want to save the pelts, a 30-06 will disassemble a coyote pretty quickly. I used a 22-250, but that is a lot of rifle too, and can damage pelts unless you are very picky about your shots. A 223, 204 Ruger, or 17 Remington would be my recommendation. I always shot for the head on a stationary target or one moving straight away. Broadside shots went to the neck or shoulder.

Hunt early morning and dusk. Buy an electronic caller, you will have better luck right away. Walk into your area, set up facing into the wind with some structure behind you to break up your profile, wait 1/2 hour, then call for about 15 seconds. Keep your eyes open and watch for movement. Wait 1/2 hour, then call again if there is no movement. If you hear the coyotes yipping after you call, you're busted, might as well move on. You will educate quite a few coyotes at first, later you will get good enough that you can go several setups without being busted.