The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2012, 01:13 PM   #26
ScottRiqui

What's the smallest load that the Chargemaster will reliably throw? I've never seen that mentioned in any of the product descriptions, but I'm assuming that it's going to be like most instruments in that it's more accurate near the middle of its measurement range, rather than at either of the two extremes.
Old March 6, 2012, 04:16 PM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Jerry45,
Have you done the straw trick? You shouldn't have any troubles after that.

ScottRiqui,
I don't think there is a minimum. I don't know why there would be. It weighs from 0.1 to 1500.0gr. Any lower limit would be artificially imposed by programming and would seem like a silly thing to do. Wouldn't be the first silly thing I've seen a programmer do though.

The ChargeMaster doesn't care about charge weight. If its near your chosen load, whether 3.5gr or 75gr, it goes slow. If its far away it goes fast until it gets close.

I've run 8 different powders through the Chargemaster... Trail Boss, Power Pistol, Unique, 800x, Benchmark, 3031, W748 and H380. These range from "blended" varieties (748) to large sticks (3031) and mega-flakes (800x) to marbles that flow like water (H380). The Chargemaster has no trouble with any of them. I've run charges from 7.0gr to mid 60s.
Old March 6, 2012, 04:59 PM   #28
higgite

I bought one just last month. I have seen the light and heard the angels sing! Life is good!
Old March 6, 2012, 07:13 PM   #29
Jerry45

Ok, I’m easy! What’s the straw trick? But I’m not cheap.
Old March 6, 2012, 07:49 PM   #30
Jimmie..

First time poster here.

I bought mine 3-04 months ago and regret not getting it long before this. It throws exactly the charge you set it for 95% of the time, if its not exact just dump it back and continue on. I can't wait to how much better my shooting is. Won't be long with this weather.
Old March 6, 2012, 08:22 PM   #31
NESHOOTER

Well, I glad this post came up again .....UPDATE, I have since feb 12th got my Hornady 8 days later and it is a very accurate from pistol loads at 4grns to 75grns and after 1500 load/rounds made it only has gone over 2 times in all of those loads and check my weight with a 505 beam scale, and another Hornady electronic scale off the beam I could not trickle better than the dispenser and, I tried to shut it off but its doesn't like to be shut off or unplugged either so being an electronic item I just leave it plugged in and on all the time and it leaves a zombie green glow in my room but when I place my check weights it is dead on .....

I didn't here Angels sing but I heard laughter (me thinks spirits from below)

And measured on the crony and they were within 4fps,,,, AWESOME.....and an earlier post stating about the reprograming of it each time is a plus as I ensure that I have the proper load EACH TIME as I change cal's..
Old March 6, 2012, 10:18 PM   #32
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry45 View Post
Ok, I’m easy! What’s the straw trick? But I’m not cheap.
Cut off a short piece of a McDonald's straw and glue it in the end of the tube. It stops the "overflow" you're experiencing. I think about 1/2" is recommended. You want to use a McDonald's straw because the sides are thicker.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:24 PM   #33
Jerry45

I was thinking you were going to tell me stick a straw in it. Thanks for the tip, I’ll give it a try.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:37 PM   #34
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, make sure you've got it level front/back and side/side too. Some models are sensitive to level.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:58 PM   #35
TXGunNut

I like my 1500 Combo. It doesn’t seem to like IMR 4064 very much though. It throws .1 to .2 high on a regular basis. Loaded 70 rounds the other day. Took 140 throws to get 70 at an even 49.00 grs. Doesn’t seem to have a problem with Varget or H 4198. Perhaps I’m just too picky and should go ahead and use the 49.1 and 49.2. Overall I really like it. -Jerry45

Does 4064 give you better results than Varget? When Varget came out it was touted as a 4064 that meters better. I only used it in two cartridges and even tho I was still doing dip & trickle @ the time my rifles liked Varget a bit better. When they finally published loads mine were a bit over but very impressive.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.

Last edited by TXGunNut; March 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:05 PM   #36
TXGunNut

I've got the 1500 Combo..... Love it. I've also got the PACT BBK.... Love it too. They're both made by PACT down in Texas..
Just remember to let them warm up and they don't like vibrations. -howlnmad

1500 not as cranky about power-ups and vibration, very laid-back and easy to please.
Yep, PACT puts scales in more that just grey cases. I keep my BBK plugged in and and seldom move it. Have an ancient BBK that runs on (OK EATS!) 9V batteries. On top of that it only works good with batteries as fresh and hot as a Hooters waitress, pretty tough to find.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old March 7, 2012, 02:06 AM   #37
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGunNut
Does 4064 give you better results than Varget? When Varget came out it was touted as a 4064 that meters better. I only used it in two cartridges and even tho I was still doing dip & trickle @ the time my rifles liked Varget a bit better. When they finally published loads mine were a bit over but very impressive.
Varget meters much better than 4064. I use Varget in my .223 Savage bolt gun metered at 25.5 and 26.0 for my AR and it throws pretty consistent for both. I've never tried it in the 06. I just looked up the loading data and the loads are the same for Varget and 4064 but the Varget pushed the bullet a little faster. I’ll have to give it a try.