The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 31, 2006, 03:25 PM   #26
FirstFreedom

Some of the cheapest reactive targets which are also biologically responsible are potatoes and generic brand charcoal briquets (regular). Also clay pigeons work for rifles & pistols too - just set them on the ground propped up. Oh yeah, tannerite if you want to get really crazy. Milk & juice jugs full of water are fun, but you have to clean them up of course.
Old February 1, 2006, 10:53 PM   #27
Dave Haven

For more ideas, check this thread.

+1 for Tannerite! One "disadvantage" - It only works with high velocity bullets; handgun bullets won't set it off.
Old February 2, 2006, 12:27 PM   #28
jsflagstad

22 rimfire fun

I have found something that is fun with my Berretta Neos. I shoot it at my large handgun flip and reset target, but the 22lr doesn't have enough power to flip the heavy target up....or does it???? Yes, it does if you do it right. It takes multiple well placed shots and good timing to make it work. A lot of fun.

JSF
Old February 4, 2006, 09:08 AM   #29
tomh1426

I saw a guy at a local range shooting a .22 at a thin steel plate playing connect the dotts. he marked little dots all over then shot at them and made smilies and stuff.
Old March 4, 2006, 01:43 AM   #30
outlaw6

I would suggest my arch nemesis.......the bowling pin.

Seriously, bowling pins can take ALOT of abuse before they are unusable and they have a somewhat "human" type shape to them. Just hit up your local lanes for a case of old pins.
Old March 4, 2006, 02:39 AM   #31
ChefGW

I like to set up a row of old shot shells to shoot at.
They are perfect for my 10/22 at about 150yds.
Also paintballs are fun to shoot at.
Get an overipe melon and shoot it up, when the yellow jackets come swarming in, shoot them too. I did this once when my brother-in-law came down and he thought I was deadly at killing those bees.
Old March 4, 2006, 02:45 AM   #32
JJB2

yep bowling pins are really fun to shoot but i got tired of going down range and setting them back up... so my best friend cut me out a bowling pin from steel plate and we hung it on an old realty sign... just stick it into the ground anywhere and shoot! it's a ball..... when i'm not shooting it with my model 27 i shoot it with my air rifles in the backyard.... just paint it flat black and stick on the orange target from BC..... just last winter i had him cut a propane bottle in half for a bell to shoot at too..... it hangs on the other side of the sign post......... rings really nice too..................
Old March 4, 2006, 09:33 AM   #33
GSD

I was also bored with shooting paper, but all we did was change our shooting style, now the paper plates that we are shooting is the last thing on our minds.
We decided to set up scenerios on our range that would be close to your everyday victim scenerios. We have the targets set up and we would sit in a chair, the targets represent someone breaking into your home as you are watching TV. We have one where you lay on a matress, targets/bad guys are at the foot of the bed and you have to shoot them. We have a group of plates with 2 colored plates in the middle...badguys, and you have to take them out. We have a good one that you are down changing a tire and 3 targets...er bad guys are mugging you. One of the best, and hardest ones that will help your shooting is one where you have 5 or 6 targets/bad guys, you start out in front of them, your buddy says "go" and you pull your pistol and retreat DIAGONALLY away from the bad guys while shooting.

You can make up tons of your own scenerios, the plates will be the last thing on your mind then.

Good Luck.
Old March 4, 2006, 10:04 AM   #34
ChefGW

I like the propane tank bell idea. I wonder if that would work with an O2 tank top. Three of those hanging from some type of frame would be pretty fun to shoot at.
Old March 5, 2006, 12:54 AM   #35
JJB2

CHEFGW.... the propane tank bell was for my air rifle to shoot at in the backyard... it wouldn't hold up to a rimfire as the rws model 34 dents the hell out of it.. it rings nice tho!!
Old March 5, 2006, 08:34 AM   #36
Nortonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayb
Or....... when the bugs come back out, fill a 35mm film cannister with sugar-water, and spread some on a used up target......it's not big game hunting, but it's different......

That is funny as hell! Glazing past your pic I thought that "Fly" meant "Flyer". Hahahahaha - excellent!
Old March 5, 2006, 06:48 PM   #37
stercrazy

Targets that do something are a lot more fun.

I will take clay piegons and set them up on a hillside and shoot them and then shoot the pieces.

Other fun targets are just regular ballons tied to a string and suspended with different lengths of string from a cross bar. Take a 1X2 and cut a groove in it then put in that groove saltine crackers, a whole bunch of targets for a couple of bucks. Old stale vanilla wafers, left over easter candy, hard peeps are a ball, they literally explode when hit, and the ever present safety suckers all make really good reactive targets and after the ants, birds and a good rain everything but the clay piegons and pieces of the ballons are gone.

Have fun and shoot straight.
Old March 5, 2006, 10:16 PM   #38
parlorshark

I like to play horse . We set up several spin targets at different distances and break out several weapons , usually 4 or 5 22 hand guns and 4 or 5 22 rifles . Then we each take turns calling our shots , every one must make the same shot ,with the same gun , from the same position , useing the same grip or get a letter . First to spell horse is out , just like basketball . Good practice and great fun . If you are very confident and have a safe place to do it try shooting skeet with a pistol . We have been doing it for a couple of weeks now and it is possably the most challinging shooting I've ever done , the most fun also .
Old March 5, 2006, 10:35 PM   #39
JJB2

i have thought of shooting trap with my 6"model 27... i have some speer shot capsules loaded with #2 shot and some with a mix of #6-7 shot and some more loaded with #9 shot... i'm guessing the #6-7 shot would be the best for that excercise......

LIFE IS SHORT...........
Old March 5, 2006, 10:49 PM   #40
parlorshark

PHP Code:
i have thought of shooting trap with my 6"model 27... i have some speer shot capsules loaded with #2 shot and some with a mix of #6-7 shot and some more loaded with #9 shot... i'm guessing the #6-7 shot would be the best for that excercise...... 
I used a MKII Competition Target with a 5-1/2" and cheap hollow points .My score was'nt the greatest , but it got better this week than last .
Old March 6, 2006, 11:45 AM   #41
deep6blue

Clay target are great. Instant feedback when you hit and inexpensive. I have a wooden stand that I can line up the clays, but usually they just lay on the 25yard berm.

But, here is the best range game, Gun Range Baseball. It's for 2 shooters, but one person can play. See the attached sheet for targets and instructions. Feedback is welcome.

Have fun.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GunRangeBaseball.pdf (77.7 KB, 64 views)