The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 1, 1999, 10:16 AM   #1
fal308
Staff Alumnus

How can you tell if a Mac 10 is semi or full. Does the semi have a selector lever on the left side? Do the open bolt semis have a fixed firing pin? Any others?

Have a chance to buy a Mac 10/45 and/or a Mac 11/9. Both Cobray. Haven't seen them yet. Hopefully I'll be able to view this weeekend. What would be a price range for these?
Old December 1, 1999, 10:18 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

What would be the price range if semi? I posted here as I figured the full auto guys would know more about Macs than the handgun guys. I'm not overly familiar with them. Haven't handled any in about 20 years.
Old December 1, 1999, 12:21 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The open bolt "MAC" semis have been running $800 plus, with the closed bolt versions going for about $300. Of course I will make no assumptions, but the difference may be because the former is easier to work on.

As far as I know, all the Cobray semis are closed bolt and have a separate firing pin. They run $300 or so.

Jim
Old December 1, 1999, 11:41 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Barclay,

As I recall, both the semi and the full auto version of the Macs have their selector on the left hand side of the grip for right thumb operation. Gordon Ingram didn't cater to we southpaws.

Regarding the firing pin, I was under the impression that the open bolt fired from a fixed pin. Like Jim says, it was easier to convert into full auto and was reengineered to fire from a closed bolt. Hence the higher price for the former in semi-auto as opposed to the latter. Good luck.

Gary
Old December 6, 1999, 10:57 PM   #5
SIG

This is a little late but I have info. I own a Cobray M-11. The older Semi's fire from an open-B. The newer fire closed. Both are extremely easy to convert. Expect to pay over a grand for selective fire, you will get a wire stock too, ooooooh.....

Look around, you can find a preban Cobray M-11 w/threaded muzz for around $3-400.00.

Any ????'s feel free to get back n' ask. I have plenty of info. and if I don't have an answer, I have plenty of sensitive reading material to find it.
Old December 6, 1999, 11:03 PM   #6
SIG

I funked up. There is no select-fire Ingram or descendant at all. The only way to distinguish is by the wire stock, but you can buy it aftermarket. The safety is the select-fire style and is in the trigger-guard, right-hand side for older models and on the outside right for the newer ones.
Old December 7, 1999, 12:20 PM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Sig
It was my understanding that only the older semi Mac 10s had an open bolt and that all semi Mac 11/9s were closed bolts. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, do you know of any websites on the Macs?
Old December 8, 1999, 02:16 AM   #8
SIG

You got it Fal, I was referring to MAC's when I was talking about "older ones", that's my mistake, sorry. Web sites, huh? Well try http://www.cobray.com/ , http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/7090/weapons.htm , http://www.butokukai.com/ (for full auto action) .

I had plenty more, but I deleted my favorites when I completed my research. Also buy "The Terrifying Three" by Duncan Long from BN.com , or Amazon, it's well worth it's weight in firepower.

"Get rid of that Nickel Plated Sissy Pistol, get yourself a Glock" Tommy Lee Jones

[This message has been edited by SIG (edited December 08, 1999).]
Old December 23, 1999, 02:47 AM   #9
David Hineline

M-10s are so cute but need a better stock
here is what I did for mine.

How to tell if full auto. on left side of frame there will be a full/semi rotating selector. From the wear marks you will see that chances are this gun was never taken out of the full position.

For a while open bolt semis demanded more money than a registered full auto since they were so easy to convert and some valued this over the registration process. Well the registered ones have finally become rare enough that they are worth more than the semis.

------------------
http://www.pionet.net/~uziforme/index.htm
Old December 23, 1999, 09:22 AM   #10
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Welcome aboard David and thanks for the info. Nice Mac. The 10 I was looking at had the fake suppressor with it so I could actually grip it. The only Mac's I've ever fired were FA and that was many moons ago. What is the folder you've got on there?
Old December 23, 1999, 06:26 PM   #11
David Hineline

The folder is one I made up myself. The factory stock basically sucks.

I took the metal folding part off of a Butler Creek 10-22 folder then machined a stock adapter plate which would fit into the original stock holes in the receiver. I will show more detailed mounting photo in this picture. Too bad there is not a source for cheap metal folding parts to start with.

Here is a close up of the adapter I made.

Old December 23, 1999, 06:26 PM   #12
David Hineline

The folder is one I made up myself. The factory stock basically sucks.

I took the metal folding part off of a Butler Creek 10-22 folder then machined a stock adapter plate which would fit into the original stock holes in the receiver. I will show more detailed mounting photo in this picture. Too bad there is not a source for cheap metal folding parts to start with.

Here is a close up of the adapter I made.

------------------
http://www.pionet.net/~uziforme/index.htm