The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2002, 09:56 AM   #1
ACP230

Remington To Sell 16s

I've heard Remington will be coming out with two 1100s in 16 gauge next year. Both field guns one has a wooden stock and blued barrel and the other is a synthetic and matte black gun.

Will anyone be interested in these?
Old December 4, 2002, 10:50 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Was reading a Field & Stream in the docot's waiting room the other day and they had an article on the resurgence of the 16. According to that article IIRC, Remington' 16s will be built on the 12 gauge size action. Ithaca will be building a 16 on their 20 gauge Featherweight action.The third shotgun mentioned in the article was a SxS Merkel that was going on a 20 gauge receiver also.
Old December 4, 2002, 12:11 PM   #3
Warren Kent

I would like to retire my Browning Sweet Sixteen and an 1100 in 16 gauge would be a nice choice. I have never had a Remington Semi Auto and several times had an 11-87 or 1100 12 ga. in my hand thinking they were priced right but never finalized any deal. If it were a sixteen maybe I would do it on impulse.
Old December 4, 2002, 12:52 PM   #4
Mannlicher

while an interesting thought, I am sticking with my Browning Sweet 16, and my Stevens SXS. I like Remingtons a lot, but I dont need yet another 16.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 4, 2002, 06:17 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I like Remington shotguns and I also like the 16 gauge, but I'm underwhelmed a bit by this news.

Back in the old days lots of 16s were the gotos for American sportsmen and women.Many didn't even own a 12 gauge, but used the 16 for the upland and a 10 or even an 8 gauge for waterfowl.

Then the makers pushed the 12 for everything,and started making 16s on 12 gauge frames, scrapping their assembly lines dedicated to the 16. reducing their parts inventory, yada,yada,yada,

The old Saw carries like a 20, shoots like a 12, was null and void. Now it carried like a 12, and no matter how much ammo improved, the 12 always was more effective, and in a shotgun no heavier.

1 oz loads for the 20 became available, so the 16 was judged superflous by the gun buying public. It was used only by those with old doubles, the fabulous Sweet 16 A-5, and a horde of kids shooting a family single bbl 16 gauge, like me.

It refused to die, just kinds hung in Limbo.

Finally, some folks noted there were some fantastic shotguns out there in 16 bore. The famed Parker "Lost" Invincible was a 16, and as stories by folks like Burton Spiller and Havilah Babcock became popular with a new generation of shooters, lots of good old 16s got dusted off, and folks noted they carried like 20s, and shot like 12s with the oz of shot good for most upland work.

But this new 16 will be as heavy as the 12 gauge version, and with so much 12 gauge ammo at cheap prices around, I see little hope for a 16 gauge Renaissannce.

And while I like the 16 plenty, and have a use for it, ammo logistics here are as complicated as Italian politics now. SO, probably no 16s for the McCs.
Old December 5, 2002, 12:00 AM   #6
jroth

Alway loved the 16, first shotgun was Marlin Model 90 O/U, second is 1950 era M37, am now looking at a Win M12 to put on layaway.
What exactly is the difference between the following:
12ga 1-1/8 load, 16ga 1-1/8 load, and 20ga 1-1/8 load

NOTHING but column diameter.
Old December 5, 2002, 01:32 AM   #7
OkieCruffler

Seems like every couple of years word comes out that the 16 is making a come back, but it never quite pans out. I'm still looking for a good 16ga 311 SXS, but I don't think I'll run out and buy an auto anytime soon.
Old December 5, 2002, 02:12 AM   #8
bismark

If Remington wants to make a 16 guage, why won't they make a 16 guage reciever? A 12 guage size gun that shoots 16 guage shells makes no sence at all, and I AM a fan of the 16 guage.
Jroth, if your Model 90 is the single trigger version I want it.
Old December 5, 2002, 08:36 AM   #9
BigG

I believe I remember Elmer Keith writing that his favorite gauge was 16. "Shotguns by Keith"
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old December 5, 2002, 08:55 AM   #10
BigG

Just remember I was at a gunshow about six months ago and saw a bunch of new 16 bores. I was looking for a Browning Superposed and saw quite a few Browning 16ga O/Us, also, believe Remington pumps and automatics. IMHO, a fad.

The 16 was popular at one time but when you try to buy a box of shells they are about $10, if you can find any. As Dave said, the different gauges used to be tailored to the cartridges so a 16 ga was actually 3/4 the size of a 12 ga and a 20 was 3/4 the size of a 16. That is not the case any more where the 16 is built on a 12 action for economy.
The Browning O/U MAY BE built smaller than a 12 but I did not look at them all that hard because I was not interested in a 16. Make mine a 12 and I'll load it light if I want less performance.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old December 5, 2002, 12:57 PM   #11
Poodleshooter

The most telling evidence that the population at large cares not a wit for the 16ga was on the store shelves at a recent closeout sale I attended in upstate NY. There were piles of only 2 types of ammo left: 7mm STW and 16gauge shells of all types. 16 gauges are for collectors who already own 10+ shotguns, or those who write for gun magazines. Reloaders and even factory loads have already brought the 12gauge down to nearly 20 ga performance (witness the 7/8oz loads sold at Walmart). There is no more performance gap between the 12 and 20. Add in the lack of a lighter gun available for the 16 and you begin to hear it's death knell.
Leave it in the past with the 24ga, 32ga and arguably even the 28gauge.
Old December 8, 2002, 12:12 AM   #12
Marshall-1

I would buy one in a heartbeat. I don't really need one, I have two now, a Sweet 16 and Side by Side 16. However, a Rem 1100 16 Ga. would be a nice gun to own and, if we don't buy them their will be no market.

Actually, a Browning Gold Classic 16 Ga. would be first choice of mine!

I can hope,
Marshall
Old December 8, 2002, 12:21 AM   #13
jroth

Marlin Model 90 (reply to Bismark)

No the Model 90 was an early fifties version with double triggers.