The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 8, 2008, 10:03 AM   #26
Firepower!

grave digging

Well its the strangest thing that happened to me and I can sense it as if it was yesterday. A couple years ago while hunting wild cocks in Kashmir region in Pakistan, I shot a three leged grave digger. To me it looked like a some sort of hiena but it had three legs and sharp teeth. It had dug a grave and was tyring to pull out a recently burried corps. I shot it and wounded it but i was using No. 4 shells which did not bring it down.

If you guys know what this creature is called it will be great to know. I have never seen it again, except heard stories from ppl who claim to have.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:10 AM   #27
45Marlin carbine

I've had several amusing/strange things happen to me in the woods but this is the funniest thing I ever saw. some years back I was deer hunting on a whim of the afternoon in Pisgah National Fst and figured I'd walk a section of logging road that is familiar to me toting my 12ga Mag, just slipping along you know - not stand hunting I had not scouted the area but did know there are deer around so I had a red wool shirt-jac and a red cap on. for safety you know.
I had eased along going uphill about 1&1/2 mile when stopped for a breather at a draw and I got off the road about 50 ft near a laurel bush and sat down on a fallen log, there was deer tracks around it was used some as a crossing evidently.
I had been there about 15-20 minutes when this feller, an older gent (I was around 40 yrs at the time and he seemed about my age now - 57 or so) came down the road from the way I had planned on going. he was dressed completely in the old red&black wool plaid the old timers used to use a lot. jacket and pants. he did not see me altho anyone should have seen me. he had looked around some, even looking my way.
well he stopped there and with his back to me started urinating off the bank of the trail. he stood there for some time and he was shakeing and jerking like, this went on for a few minutes before I realized the crazy devil was jerking off! I was dumbfounded by this, directly the ol' boy let out with a grunt I suppose he shot his wad - just as this happened a 6 point came running downhill from the direction he had come from and I swung my shooty on him and let him have the load of 000. down he went - the ol' boy derned near jumped out of his boots and took off running down hill leaving his shotgun (Rem. pump) behind! so I got a buck and shotgun out of this. I got back to the gated-off road about dark, dragging the buck and toteing 2 shotguns. he was nowhere to be seen. I still laugh about this and everbody I know accuses me of lying as we all play tricks and jokes on each other when I try to tell about this.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:44 AM   #28
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I was dumbfounded by this, directly the ol' boy let out with a grunt
Jaysus! That's funny and bizarre at the same time! I've been bored while hunting too but never THAT bored!

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; May 8, 2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:14 AM   #29
fisherman66

Without out a doubt that is the funniest and most disturbing thing I have ever read on this forum.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:30 AM   #30
chow chow

The only time an old guy can have free time to jack off in serenity. Unfortunately, Mr Buck is close by...

well he stopped there and with his back to me started urinating off the bank of the trail. he stood there for some time and he was shakeing and jerking like, this went on for a few minutes before I realized the crazy devil was jerking off! I was dumbfounded by this, directly the ol' boy let out with a grunt I suppose he shot his wad ...
Old May 8, 2008, 01:09 PM   #31
jimbob86

While turkey hunting with a buddy.....

..... in late march a few years back, I had an odd thing happen. We set up with our backs to trees about 10 yards apart, I facing North, Donnie facing East. Cammoed head to toe...... it's 40 degrees and drizzling. I called with a diaphram every 15 minutes or so...... My gloved hands were freezing, so I rubbed them together to keep them warm. Every few minutes, I'd catch movement out of the corner of my eye off to my right, but after turning slowly to look, I would see nothing but dripping trees....... until there, 20 feet away was a bobcat, head low, eyes locked on my brown gloved hands, preparing to pounce (I remember his front feet, drawn under his chin, making running motions, in minuature, just before he sprang)! He sprang! I Screamed (like a schoolgirl, I'm told)! I swung the shotgun toward him and tried to back away, but the tree was behind me, so as my heels dug a hole in the ground trying to propel me away from the cat, all I accomplished was sliding my back 6 inches or so up the tree. The cat stopped, frozen, a couple inches in front of the muzzle of the shotgun, eyes as big as saucers...... then turned and trotted back to where he pounced from. He turned and looked back over his shoulder at me. At this point I realized I was still screaming incoherently, and my buddy was laughing so hard he had fallen over and was slapping the ground with his palms. I switched from screaming (like a schoolgirl) to cursing (like a Drill Sergeant), calling the cat every name in the book, and inventing a few new names, too. I called his parentage into question, and his courage........ the cat hissed and disappeared in the trees like smoke on a stiff breeze..........

Having spooked all living turkeys in the neighborhood, we went for coffee at F.L. Nicholson's ( Jeff Cooper's Man from Nebraska) and related the tale. She wrote Cooper about it, and we got a 2 sentence reference to it his Commentaries.......

Last edited by jimbob86; May 8, 2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old May 8, 2008, 01:29 PM   #32
jimbob86

Also......

...... had a forkhorn whitetail run out and paw at a doe I shot in a beanfield...... He stood there over her as I gathered my stuff up and folded up my shooting sticks. As I walked out to the doe (over 400 yars away), he sees me, and his head goes back and he starts walking right at me, all stiff legged....... like Frankenstein or something. We kept on a collision course until he's less than 50 yards away. I waved my arms and hollered at him. Still coming. I drew my .357 and hollered at him again. He stopped, hair standing on end, eyes rolled back in his head (like a goat's, just gefore it butts)....... I shot the ground twice an hollered "Git!", whereupon he turned waving his white flag...........
Old May 8, 2008, 02:37 PM   #33
birdshot

stunk out the skunk

a few years ago on a camping hunting trip, i was sitting on the side of a rocky ravine just before sundown. a skunk comes out and walks toward me. i did not want to spook any deer that may have been in the area so i remained still. the skunk stopped right between my legs, and seemed to be thinking, " i don't remember any rocks on this trail". camp food had been rich and i passed some gas, silent gas. the skunk's nose wrinkled up and he took off like he had seen a ghost.
Old May 8, 2008, 03:14 PM   #34
ZeroJunk

I can't quite keep up with 45 Marlin, but his story reminded me of hunting up at Kerr Reservoir or Buggs Island. My friend often took his wife and had placed her in a ground blind that he had built out of cedar tree branches. We were working our way toward her still hunting but perhaps moving a deer in her direction. A couple came down the old logging road in a car, made out a little, got out and made love on the ground she says not more than 30 feet away. She never bothered them and directly they were on their way. We had fun asking for as much detail as possible.
Old May 8, 2008, 09:58 PM   #35
Fat White Boy

I was hunting Chukar in Nevada with two friends. I knock one down and it lands by one of my friends who picked it up for me and put it in his game bag. About 10 minutes later, I look over just as a chukar flies between my friend's legs! he shoots and misses an easy going away shot. He looks at me and says,"Sorry!". My bird had regained conciousness, crawled out of his bag and flown off....
Old May 8, 2008, 10:16 PM   #36
Hawg

I was sittin in a tree stand watching squirrels play and a Mockingbird lands on my rifle barrel. He sat there looking around for a few seconds then edges his way to the muzzle. He kept looking into the muzzle of my rifle and then looking all around and at one point stuck his beak in it. That made me laugh and he took off squawking up a storm.
Old May 9, 2008, 11:20 PM   #37
Ron T. B.

My son and I were hunting ducks off of a platform blind. My son was 13 or 14 at the time. I saw a couple of ducks straight out in front of us, I supposed that my son, who was on my right, saw them too. Suddenly, while the ducks were much too far away, my son fired a shot. Almost immediately, in a rather excited voice, he yelled "duck". I was about to turn and ask him what the heck he was doin', when three pounds of dead Mallard flashed by inches in front of my face, and raised a small geyser of water off to my left. One look at my sons face and I knew I didn't have to say anything about the utility of yelling "duck" under the circumstances. We decided to use "hit the deck" if the need ever arose in the future.
Old May 10, 2008, 12:26 AM   #38
rburch

This wasn't me, but my grandad loves to tell this story.

He was deer hunting back when he was about 25 and spotted a nice 8 point buck in his binoculars. It was about 100 yards off just over the crest of a little hill, but he can see the whole body. He lifts his open sight 30-30 Marlin, and he squeezes off a shot.

Then he lifts the binoculars and that buck is standing there calm as can be. So my grandad fires again and checks and this time he can't see anything above the hill.

So he walks up there and finds two almost identical 8 point bucks laying dead on the ground not five feet apart.

Since you're only allowed one deer a day, he called his brother and had him check in the 2nd one.
Old May 10, 2008, 08:58 AM   #39
22-rimfire

Birdshot, that story was hilarious! I bet you're glad he didn't add some of HIS to the odorous mix.
Old May 10, 2008, 09:19 AM   #40
robc

I dozed off at the base of an oak tree a couple of years ago (bow-hunting, S. MN). It was well before sunrise. I woke up with a MASSIVE coon standing right by my feet.
Old May 10, 2008, 05:51 PM   #41
mikenbarb

Hawk and the Red squirrel

I was sitting in my bow stand and a red squirrel kept chattering at me from the next tree 5 feet away. I was debating on sticking him to the tree with a fieldpoint but as I reached for my bow I heard a loud swooshing sound. I started freaking out trying to figure out what the noise was and before you know it a Red Tail Hawk had come down and picked the squirrel off the limb and sat there tearing into him 5 feet away from me. The hawk then noticed me and quickly departed dropping his dead squirrel almost on top of me and landed in a tree 100yds away trying to figure out what I was. The hawk wouldnt come back until I left the stand. I sat 50 yards from the tree in thick brush and watched him come back and finish his dinner. It was a pretty cool thing to see and I never leave home without a camera now.
Old May 11, 2008, 05:18 AM   #42
shortwave

i sit and read , enjoying these experiences everyone has had hunting and i can`t help but think how bad the non-hunting population is cheating themselves in life. just does`nt make sense. this is the kinda stuff you just don`t see on tv.
Old May 11, 2008, 09:15 PM   #43
Boncrayon

Strangest hunt

I was in a dearstand in a tree-line facing an enclosed meadow. I heard something behind me that was moving slowly, ever so closely out of my view with the stand's plywood blocking my vision. I could hear light steps in the moist leaves moving over several minutes within 30' of my stand. I carefully laid down my .3006 Remington, and picked up my .357 S&W revolver, waiting for a walk-by chance of a shot. Heart pumping, I leaned down over the floor's edge with hammer cocked, to find...........a dappled cow casually chewing her cud! I decocked my S&W, and smiled at the lovely animal. It was a funny drama that outsmarted my own imagination!
Old May 11, 2008, 10:12 PM   #44
elkman06

Okay, gotta bite on this.
In about 80 or 81 a friend and I were riding back to camp at dusk in my Dads' 46 Willys..no top. I spotted a set of blinking lights on the opposite ridge. Stopped the Jeep and watched them for a few minutes. It travelled the approx, 1 mile to a point directly overhead us and the turned 90degrees and disappeared north. From the time it started to move until gone was not over 5 secs w/ a 3 sec pause directly over us.
Nope, no shine or Bud involved. Kinda weird though.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old May 11, 2008, 10:12 PM   #45
shinnery jim

ever go squirrel thumping? I did just once. now I am not a kid, I am 56 now so it has been a while. but when I was a kid my granddad used to tell us about his growing up years. he came to Texas as a small boy in a covered wagon. they were poor hard sqrabble farmers to start with and had to hunt to feed the family.
he love to talk about thumping squirrels. and I loved to hear about it. the only gun he had to hunt with was a 30 30 and lets face it they are not good for squirrel. but he told us of the trick of thumping them. you would find a tree with a squirrel in it and make a lot of noise around that tree. the squirrel would clime higher and higher in the tree until he was in the top branches. you know the smaller ones. well he would always stay on the side away from all the noise. when he was high enough that you could see his tail around the branch then it was time to shoot him. you aimed at the branch under him and shot it. it would slap him in the head and he would fall down to the ground.
I had to try it. so I took my dads 45 peace maker with me when I went hunting the next time. found a squirrel in the tree and low and behold it really did work. I shot the limb and the squirrel fell right at my feet. I picked him up, put him in my tow sack and hung it on my belt and went on hunting.
but then the d--- thing woke up and I thought I had a weedeater in the bag. it was chewing my leg up. I jerked the bag off my belt and beat it against a tree to save myself.
the next time I saw my granddad I told him about it and told him he forgot to tell me about that. he was laughing so hard it took him ten minutes to tell me you were suppost to cut their throats when they fell, that they were just knocked out. I told him I found that out for myself.
Old May 14, 2008, 09:33 PM   #46
flyboy14

Snap-on buck

My father in-law lets me 'cull' any old or unwanted deer out of his herd, since he takes 5-6 paid hunters every year, normally I am limited to does, or anything not wanted by the paid hunters. Not a big deal to me, but after 5 years of watching nice bucks walk, he tells me he has a big over the hill mule deer that he wants out of the herd. Needless to say I was excited, he didn't say much about him. We drive up on top of a ridge and he hands me his 270 and two shells, he tells me to walk down the draw and if I see this deer to take him. He told me that he would be the only buck and I would know him if I saw him he is a big 2x2. I said 2x2! he said the biggest 2pt you have ever seen. After hearing that I wasn't so excited, but bucks on the in-laws had been few and far between for me so off I went. I walked down the draw taking my time, stopping and listening and then moving on slowly. The walls of the draw got steeper as I went down and I understood why he was so sure the deer would be in it, there was no way out but right past me. As I slowly came around a corner I saw him, and he was right it was the biggest two point I had ever seen, and his body was huge (neb muley). By dumb luck I saw him before he saw me, I pulled up the rifle aimed for his ticker and squeezed of a shot, the buck jumped and ran around the corner out of site. I knew it was a good hit but I waited a few minutes and then went after him. He only ran about 30 yards and fell in a heap. As I walked up to the deer, something just didn't look right to me. He was laying there dead as a doornail but he just looked funny. When I grabbed his horn to pull his head uphill for gutting I realized what was funny about him. When I pulled on the horn it popped off in my hand! The first thought that ran through my head was that somehow my father-in law had caught a deer and glued shed horns onto it to mess with me, but a quick look at his head told me the truth, it had to bloody sockets where the horns had come off just as if they were shed, and they were extremely lightweight antlers. The next surprise came when I rolled him over to gut him, he had half of the equipment needed to be a buck below the belt, minus the testicles. Dont know if they shriveled up or got cut off, but the story of that buck gets told every year at hunting camp, and now the horns still sit on top of my gun cabinet, if i ever figure out how to post pics I will. Game warden aged the deer a 7+, didn't weigh him but even he told me it was the biggest bodied mule deer he had seen. Will never know what the spread was on his horns, but we measured 4 diff ways with them in the sockets and came up with anywhere between 27" to 31".
Old May 14, 2008, 10:05 PM   #47
Huntergirl

Early season deer hunt in the mountains, I was sitting against a large pine tree with alot of low brush around me along a game trail. Started hearing this "glug glug" hollow sound about 20 yards or so down the trail, but didn't dare move and give away my location. First reaction was, ah oh oh, maybe a black bear.
A little nervous, I peered around the tree just as a 5x5 bull elk began mounting a cow. Wild eyed and gettin' down to business, both elk didn't spot me for a few seconds. Then with a crazed look, like "Honey, there's SOMEONE IN OUR BEDROOM!" They both took off into the woods.
Old May 17, 2008, 09:45 AM   #48
DWFan

wrong turn

Walking thru a woods during squirrel season and take a break; sitting down on a large, flat rock....only to look down, and then around as I stood, to find out I had stumbled into a long-abandoned family cemetary and had been sitting on a headstone.
That was just a bit unnerving...what was really strange is the headstone had my last name on it and only a last name. No possible relation...my family is in Indiana and this was in Georgia.
That was strange.
Old May 18, 2008, 02:38 AM   #49
guntotin_fool

Brother and I were hunting State forest land near Emily, Minnesota, I shot a nice 8 point that came running up the hill at me. Two fast shots, both in the boilerroom and he died fast, I decided to sit a while and wait to make sure it was all dead, and for my brother to show up. I hear foot steps coming from the top of the ridge and I think its going to be my brother, but its an older than I was guy, (I was low 20's and my brother a couple years older, the other guy was maybe 35) He keeps walking toward my deer and just when I think maybe he's going to claim the deer as his, he never misses a beat and steps right over my deer and keeps walking to me.
"I heard some shots, did you get one?" now this rocks me back a bit, as he just stepped over my deer.

"Uh. Yeah," I said, " you just walked past it" He game me a funny look and then looked back up the trail and for the first time realized that he had walked right passed it. He has a shiny as a new car rifle, with one of those wide as a leisure suit lapel kind of slings on it, with a HUGE knife even Rambo would leave at home strapped to his chest in some kind of a bandoleer sort of thing.

Looking at the deer, he asks me If I needed help gutting the thing, "no thanks, Its a pretty easy job" I said, and he keeps pulling out this knife. "Are you sure?" he asked, and I made the comment that I was pretty much more than sure, seeing it was my 12 or 13 th deer at the time. I looked up and saw that my brother was now fairly close and seeing the other guy, brother was not pointing the gun his way, but in keeping with his response he was keeping it at ready arms...The older guy then asked about how we were going to cut the head off, and where did we take the deer for processing. None of this made sense to us, and we let him know we did all the cutting.

So with this he walks about 15 or 20 feet past us and finds a log to sit on. He starts asking all sorts of questions about the process, all the time coming back with questions that made no sense at all. When he sees our "puny" little knives we were using he nearly had a break down.
Old May 18, 2008, 11:48 AM   #50
chow chow

Stepping on someone's else poop in the woods bec its covered with dirt and leaves.