The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 30, 2019, 01:41 PM   #1
Bwillsonhunter4

Fast cheap 22lr

I’m looking for something that is fast and cheap that will kill a rat instantly even with a body shot so I’m thinking a fast hollow Point but all the ones I can find (cci stinger, cci copper, Remington Yellow Jacket, and Aguila supermaximum) are all at least 8 cents per pop don’t need it to be accurate all shots will be less then 15 yds
Old January 30, 2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Pahoo

I'm cheap !!!

Just my opinion but feel that the ammo is a bit over-kill as you can get the job done a whole lot cheaper and safer. Don't know where you live but I have a pellet gun that puts them down fast. I also have some .22 Shorts that puts down Whistle-Pigs. Of course, shot placement is always your best friend.

Be Safe !!!
Old January 30, 2019, 02:05 PM   #3
TXAZ

Rat Shot / Snake Shot shells for a .22.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 30, 2019, 02:16 PM   #4
pete2

I killed a load of rats with a BB gun when i was a kid. Not hard to kill.
Old January 30, 2019, 02:26 PM   #5
Bwillsonhunter4

I hunt on a livestock farm when we clean the manure pile up in the spring me and my friend have friendly compositions about who can kill more rats and it doesn’t count if there is no body. Last year I used Winchester 333 bulk pack hp 1250 ish FPS I hit one 3 times that crawled back into the pile never to be seen again. Shot placement isnt always an option when shooting at a running rat or mouse.
Old January 30, 2019, 04:47 PM   #6
Doyle

Forget all about hollow point (or expanding bullets in general) when shooting rats. The bullet will have exited before it expands. Also, think about what all that excess velocity is going to do after the bullet exits the rat. It has to go somewhere (meaning it will fly off into places unknown). If you must use a solid bullet, then think the opposite of what you've been thinking. You need slow and safe at those distances. Personally, I've used CCI CB Cap loads for doing squirrel reduction duty around the house. I find that the Shorts tend to be a little more accurate than the longs in my rifle.
Old January 30, 2019, 06:05 PM   #7
kenny53

CCI has those compressed copper bullets, over 1800 feet per second. They might do the trick. If I remember correctly they are a little pricy. Just noticed you mention the copper bullets , so I got nothing.
Old January 31, 2019, 07:31 AM   #8
Mobuck

CCI sub-sonic HP isn't cheap(around 7 cents/shot) but it is accurate and misses don't count. While it does expand at close range on feral cats, possums, and coons, I doubt it'll expand much on a rat. The flat(ish) profile of the large HP will do good enough.
At 15 yards HV isn't really an advantage--just louder
Old January 31, 2019, 10:25 AM   #9
pete2

Rats must be tougher now days than when I shot them in the corn bin with my Daisy. I also shot some with .22 rat shot, killed them dead, rat shot is pretty weak but will kill rats.
Old January 31, 2019, 12:25 PM   #10
the possum

There's a difference between killing a varmint, and anchoring him on the spot before he can crawl down a hole that's only 4 inches away. I won't begrudge a fellow for using a .22. Especially for tiny critters that tend to scurry quickly, leaving little opportunity for a perfectly placed shot.

He's looking for something low cost, so that means .22 shorts are out. Rat shot is very effective, but also way out of line because of cost. Have you guys actually checked prices lately? That CCI rat shot is more expensive than the 12 gauge target loads at Walmart!

Use something with either a flat point or wide hollow point. I'm not sure whether any of them will expand within an inch of penetration (solids expand in ballistic gel just like hollowpoints do, since they're all soft lead), so the blunt nose will punch rather than poke, transferring more shock.

Last edited by the possum; January 31, 2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old February 10, 2019, 03:18 PM   #11
NorthIDIndependent

I use the CCI .22LR Shotshells, like the ones previously mentioned. I think it's the best for my purpose, Indoors Mice mostly, occasional rat, Max range ten feet.
They're the more pricey option but my alternative Isn't much cheaper.

So, I also use/have used a CCI 40gr subsonic .22LR topped, down the muzzle, with a 'lil wad and ten pellets of #8 shot cut from a 12ga target shell, Then another 'lil wad on top.
My .22 Is a single shot Remington model 514 24" iron sights
CAUTION: This post may include loading data beyond published pressure spec.. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.
Old February 10, 2019, 05:02 PM   #12
tangolima

I will have a pellet rifle, or a slingshot even. Within 15yd an air rifle is accurate and deadly to a rat of any sort. A slingshot is not slough if you practice enough.

Their ammo is mighty cheap, much cheaper than any 22 rim fire cartridges.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old February 10, 2019, 05:30 PM   #13
buck460XVR

How many rats are you shooting that $8(100rounds) worth of good quality ammo is cost prohibitive? You want it to be effective, yet you want it to be cheap. Accuracy generally comes before bullet performance, IOWs, cheap ammo can and may be accurate, but it's projectile may not be the most effective or what you want. Cheap ammo can also be fast. Biggest cost of any ammo other than brass is the projectile. Want it to perform, most of the time, even on marginal hits, you need to pay for it. Otherwise be pickier about your shots and the projectile won't matter.

Back when I was a kid, we used to shoot rats at the town dump. Was great target practice. Generally took a hit to the head or spine to drop them in their tracks. This is where type of projectile didn;t matter. Otherwise they crawled back into a hole and a few minutes later you could hear them squeal as their buddies ate them alive..........
Old February 10, 2019, 07:25 PM   #14
FITASC

The Federal Black label ammo I picked up was $40/1600 rounds which is 2.5 cents per shot.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 10, 2019, 08:09 PM   #15
AzShooter

CCI Blazer. It's about $2.50 a box and shoots better than most ammo out of my three Rugers. Velocity is 1250 fps and it's a lead bullet.
Old February 11, 2019, 06:58 PM   #16
Scorch

Quote:
I’m looking for something that is fast and cheap
Do a reality check. Faster does not equate with cheaper, since you have to pay more for anything faster or slower than "standard velocity".
Quote:
that will kill a rat instantly even with a body shot
Body shots do not kill instantly. Wanna know why? OK, tell me where you are hitting the rat. You can't. Most of a rat's body is abdominal cavity, guts. Gut shots don't kill fast, plain and simple.
Quote:
Shot placement isnt always an option
Shot placement is king. Don't believe me? An employee of the Smithsonian was sent to Africa in the early 1900s to collect specimens. He collected over 3,000 specimens with a 22LR up to and including an elephant. Coincidence? No, shot placement. Each one was shot through the eye.

A friend and I used to go out to shoot rats at a local feedlot when I lived in Idaho. He looked at me one time and said "I can tell which ones you shot and which ones I shot. You shoot 'em in the head". Just do that.