The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 5, 2017, 09:30 PM   #1
SAA GunSlinger

Lubricated Wads and Greasing the cylinder?

When loading a black powder revolver you add your amount of powder, use a lubricated wad, seat your ball and then put bore butter on the top of the bullet correct? Ive heard people say that you don't need to put bore butter on the top of the bullet if you have lubricated wads. The way Ive always done it is using lubricated wads and I put bore butter on top of each chamber when there fully loaded. I was told a long time ago putting grease on the top of each bullet would help prevent a chain fire. So what is the correct method? Do I do both or only one?
Old June 6, 2017, 04:36 AM   #2
Beagle333

You can do just fine with either a wad under the ball or lube over the ball. (I like lube over the ball)
But it isn't going to hurt anything to do both. You just want to stop the sparks from going around a ball and getting to the powder in a cylinder that wasn't intended to fire at the moment. A tight fitting ball "should" accomplish that, but a wad or grease (or both) add more insurance, and I believe the grease softens the fouling and makes cleaning easier later.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 6, 2017, 06:10 AM   #3
AirForceShooter

Never put grease over the ball if I was using wads.

In 25 years never had a chain fire

AFS
Old June 6, 2017, 06:28 AM   #4
44caliberkid

I don't use the wads. I have never had a chain fire with lube over the bullet. I can create one every time by not putting lube over the bullet, even though I'm shaving off a nice ring of lead when I seat the bullet. I tried just the wads and still occasionally had an extra chamber or two go off. So I'm an over lube guy. I shoot C&B class in CAS, so I've put a lot of rounds down range. But feel free to experiment. That's how we figure it out.
Old June 6, 2017, 06:58 AM   #5
smee78

I usually run just the lubed wad in my ROA and havent had any problems with chain firing. I would do what you feel safe doing, it does not hurt to do both as its additional protection. Now if I'm out and its wet I think I also would add lube over the ball just for additional protection but this has not been a problem I have had to face.
Old June 6, 2017, 07:45 AM   #6
g.willikers

Ill fitting primers have been accused of causing as many or even more chain fires than from the other end.
I use either a lubed wad or dry gasket paper under the ball, of the proper size of course.
And no longer bother with all that greasy mess over the ball anymore.
Old June 6, 2017, 08:03 AM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Ill fitting primers have been accused of causing as many or even more chain fires than from the other end.
I'll never believe that because I can't make it happen. Use either one, you don't need both. A lubed wad is a lot less messy.
Old June 6, 2017, 01:38 PM   #8
maillemaker

I use lube over the bullets because it is required in N-SSA competition.

I like having lube either on the bullet or in front of it so that the bullet actually benefits from the lubrication. Putting the lubrication behind the bullet does not lubricate the bullet, though it may help keep the fouling soft.

But, lots of people use lubricated wads.

I tried stacking a bunch of them once to eliminate the need for filler and instead when I compressed the ball it squeezed all the wads and the lube oozed into the powder, ruining it. That was my one and only attempt at using lubed wads.

Steve
Old June 6, 2017, 02:59 PM   #9
99whip

I like lube over ball, but not for chainfire concerns, I get better accuracy.
Old June 6, 2017, 04:13 PM   #10
g.willikers

Quote:
when I compressed the ball it squeezed all the wads and the lube oozed into the powder, ruining it
Why I use dry gasket paper.
It seems to work just fine.
When using lubed wads, I squeeze most of the lube out of them.
A little dab'll do ya'.
Old June 6, 2017, 06:30 PM   #11
Old No7

Quote:
[g.willikers]Ill fitting primers have been accused of causing as many or even more chain fires than from the other end.
Quote:
[Hawg]I'll never believe that because I can't make it happen. Use either one, you don't need both. A lubed wad is a lot less
I can't seem to find the bookmark I saved for it, but there's an awesome video on YouTube which shows sparks from one fired cap getting under caps on other nipples and setting off those charges.

I didn't want to believe it either, but there were literally dozens of small sparks sent flying by the one cap hit by the hammer; watching the video in slow motion, you'd have no choice but to see and believe that "ill fitting primers" can cause chain fires.

Old No7
Old June 6, 2017, 06:53 PM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
I didn't want to believe it either, but there were literally dozens of small sparks sent flying by the one cap hit by the hammer; watching the video in slow motion, you'd have no choice but to see and believe that "ill fitting primers" can cause chain fires.
I agree that there's a lot of sparks but I have loaded full cylinders and only one cap at a time and can't make one chain so no I do not believe it.
Old June 6, 2017, 07:29 PM   #13
Smokin'Joe

Haven't had a chain fire in more than 40 years. I don't use either wads or grease. I do, however, put a few drops of vegetable oil over the balls. And when I did have a chain fire all those years ago I wasn't using anything on top of the balls.
Old June 6, 2017, 09:09 PM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
Haven't had a chain fire in more than 40 years. I don't use either wads or grease. I do, however, put a few drops of vegetable oil over the balls. And when I did have a chain fire all those years ago I wasn't using anything on top of the balls.
Same with me but I had a lot of them in 69-70. I do use wads now most of the time but a drop of olive oil works just fine.
Old June 7, 2017, 03:47 PM   #15
Hellgate

I suspect that most of the rear ignition chain fires are due to the recoil ring being battered in brass framed Colt style revolvers to where the battered ring allows the cylinder to strike the recoil shield and pop the caps. I cannot see how flame is going to get under even an ill fitted cap and set things off. There are too many corners to get to the powder. There is a slight chance that flame could get into an uncapped nipple flash hole but it is unlikely.

As to cutting a lead ring from the ball to get a good seal: I've seen cylinders that had a machining defect that left a ledge on one side of the chamber mouths and the ball would be cut out of round when seated thus allowing flame to ignite the powder. Chamfering the chamber mouth eliminates the sharp edge and allows the ball to be swaged when seated. I believe that is why the chambers on all my Euroarms Remingtons are chamfered. Chamfering is not needed if the chambers are truly cylindrical.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old June 7, 2017, 07:37 PM   #16
44 Dave

Colt never mentioned wads, fillers or grease.
Know your gun, your powder load, your bullet, and your target and if you have to shoot some where they have special range rules like N-SSA or SASS.
Grease over ball, hot gun and slopped powder can light off.
For me when I just want to ring steel a few times with my Colts it is all 6 loaded, powder and ball only
Old June 7, 2017, 08:07 PM   #17
Hawg

Back in the day average people didn't shoot as much as they do now. Back then it was a shot or two once in a blue moon. Now you need something to keep fouling soft and Colt did mention wads, he said you didn't need them.
Old June 7, 2017, 08:14 PM   #18
Ricekila

I just ordered some Wonder Wads the other night --- It'll be interesting how much squeezing they'll need --

Μολών Λaβέ
Old June 7, 2017, 09:26 PM   #19
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I suppose I should chime in on this one. I don't shoot much C&B these days, but I bought my first C&B revolver in 1968.

Lubricated wads were not on the market then. In those days it was standard procedure to smear Crisco over the ball. I was never crazy about the idea of Crisco, the grease in the chamber next to the one being fired would melt and run out of the chamber. Regarding chain fires, if you don't get a good seal with the ball, if for instance there happens to be a dent or cut in the ball right where it seals in the chamber, that will leave an open path for an errant spark to find its way to the powder in an adjacent chamber.

Yes, I had a chain fire once back then, slathering Crisco over the balls. As I said, I never felt that a thin layer of melted grease offered much spark protection in case there was a void in the ball to cylinder seal. Once Wonder Wads became available I never slathered anything over the balls again. 1/8" or so of felt makes a better spark arrester than a few thousandths of contact between the ball and the chamber.

On the rare occasion I shoot a C&B these days, I always place a Wonder Wad between the powder and ball, and nothing on top of the ball.
Old June 8, 2017, 12:44 PM   #20
drobs

I like ball, wad, powder. Though have been experimenting with a dab of bore butter between the ball and wad.

Just got back to work after taking a 3 week vacation home in MO.
Shot a couple cylinders out of my pair of Pietta 1860's almost every day at my backyard 25yd gong.

Just last week was playing around with trying to develop a shot load to take out carpenter bees. 1st tried loading all 6 with just 30 gr of FFFG and a wonder wad (no ball).

You'd think that would be chain-fire city. No such luck with chain-fires or killing carpenter bees. The wads in the unfired chambers were singed.

Then tried rice between 2 wonder wads. Again no chain-fires. Didn't have any smaller grain / meal type food products in the house. The rice didn't work either on the carpenter bees. Really need a small pellet type grain to play with and a thinner wad.

This gentleman - theorizes that the majority of chain-fires happen on the 2nd loading from shooters who use lube over ball.

http://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps2.html

On the 2nd loading, grains of BP can be caught in the grease between the ball and chamber wall.

Edit picture borrowed from that link:

Last edited by drobs; June 8, 2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old June 8, 2017, 02:53 PM   #21
Bishop Creek

I'm with Driftwood on this one. Got my first cap and ball back in 1969 when there were no Wonder Wads, slathered Crisco all over the top of the balls, what a greasy mess! Had my one and only chain fire back then (with a battered 1851 brasser). I have been using wads since they were introduced in the late '70s and have never looked back. Cleaner to shoot and keeps fouling down in the barrel allowing more shots before cleaning.
Old June 9, 2017, 03:05 PM   #22
Ricekila

They're not wet -- kinda slimy - like when you wipe down your dash board with Armor-All -- slimy

Μολών Λaβέ
Old June 9, 2017, 03:18 PM   #23
Hellgate

I'm too cheap to buy Wonder Wads so I either punch out 1/8" thick wool felt F-1 sheeting with a 7/16" hole punch chucked into a drill press or I buy Circle Fly 1/2" fiber filler wads, lube them and then split them into desired thickness. You can make wads for about 2 bucks a hundred.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old June 19, 2017, 05:42 PM   #24
North East Redneck

I use the wonder wads. Used to use Crisco, very messy.
For my guns either .454 or .457 balls, depending on the gun, shave a nice ring of lead.
Old June 19, 2017, 10:38 PM   #25
SAA GunSlinger

Thank you everyone for all the help!