The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 28, 2019, 10:53 AM   #1
GeauxTide

Buck Knife Handle

I've got a couple of Buck 100 Series knives that I'd like to change out the slippery Phenolic handles for more grip.
Old February 28, 2019, 01:58 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Just rough the phenolic up. Much cheaper.
You can use a $15 electric engraving pencil to stipple the handle.
Even rough sandpaper will work. Or, file notches.
Old February 28, 2019, 02:26 PM   #3
GeauxTide

Thanks, Bill. I did have the handle engraved with some grooves, but still too slick.
Old February 28, 2019, 08:38 PM   #4
rpseraph

I tried a number of things and ended up just putting on some hockey tape on mine!
Old March 1, 2019, 02:24 AM   #5
bamaranger

grip

I've got two tricks for slick knives w/ slick grips.

One is to simply wrap the grip with a rubber band, or you could cut a small "o" section of bicycle tire tube. Goofy looking but it works,but typically will not hold up.

This trick has worked much better for me, and looks OK too. Friction tape. The product I'm using is called "Skid Guard" safety tape. It is adhesive backed, can be cut to shape with scissors, and will generally stay where you put it for a long time. Now that I have some, I find other uses too, like on treestand steps and platforms, step bumper of my pickup, anyplace you need some "sticktion". I put a small strip on my early Glock pistols as well.

I put two, 1X 1/4" wide strips on the top and bottom portion of a Cold Steel Canadian belt knife, and it really brought that handy blade to another level. I can't recomend you try it enough.
Old March 1, 2019, 02:36 PM   #6
GeauxTide

Thanks, BR. Will get some. I've also got one of those Canadian Belt knives, so will try it with them. On another subject, if you've got Yote or Hog problems, the Covergent Blue Tooth call is awesome. Check out Hog Zombies on Youtube and Facebook.
Old March 2, 2019, 01:48 AM   #7
bamaranger

careful

If you've got the Cold Steel Canadian, be careful about where you put the tape. It is abrasive stuff to a degree, and will eat the sides of the poly plastic sheath Cold Steel sells with that blade. I goofed up the retention on mine a bit by putting tape on the sides of the grip.

I'd recommend a small strip on the bottom of the grip, ie, along the same plane that the cutting edge is on,and a similar strip on the top, as in parallel with the back (top) of the blade where the "filework" is.

Eyeball it all carefully, as I goobered my retention a good bit. I quartered and backstrapped all me deer this year with the beltknife and really like it.

Coyotes are everywhere BTW. Some nights seems like I can hear 100. Hogs not an issue up here in the NW for the most part. Spring gobblers next!!!!!!
Old March 11, 2019, 09:55 PM   #8
Auto5

TALON grips. Both Midway and Amazon sell the material in 5x7 sheets that you can cut to fit.