The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 14, 2001, 06:17 PM   #1
DOCSpanky

pretty dern sure its an sks?

I am pretty sure I now own an SKS. It was given to me for $15 bucks at an estate sale. Cheesy wood stock. Bolt that opens to completely vertical. No safety. 7.62x54R. Cool swing-out bayonet. And a screwball of an adjustable rear sight. Poland 1952 for manufacture.

Where might I get a handbook, and replacement parts for these. I'm told they are a dime a dozen, so its of no real value.

How does the 7.62x54R round measure up?

Any help would be appreciated.

DOC:barf:

p.s. $15.00 was not too much I hope. Bore is in good shape, action is VERY smooth.
Old June 14, 2001, 07:08 PM   #2
sleeping dog

Not SKS, Doc. It sounds like a Mosin-Nagant M44, with that bayonet that swings to the side. The 7.62x54R seems to shoot a lot like .308 or 30-06. But it has more kick, flash, and noise. Most of the surplus ammo is corrosive, I think, so clean the bore with soapy water, then the other usual stuff.
Regards.
Oh,yeah. It's a good deal at $15.
Old June 14, 2001, 07:17 PM   #3
beemerb

The Russian shooting teams still used the mosin in the 50 for a target rifle.Very accurat and competive.Kicks like a small mule but ammo is cheap and will take any game that a 30-06 will take.You did good.
Old June 14, 2001, 09:07 PM   #4
DOCSpanky

Yes, the bayonet swings out to the side. I cleaned some tarnish off the barrel and did find M44 stamped into it. It definantly says "M44 POLISH 7.62x54R" It also has INSTRUCTIE stamped into the stock. So I will assume it was a training rifle.

It has a;
P W
surrounded by a diamond, and a number 11 stamped into the top of the receiver. Along with 1952 which I will assume to be the year of manufacture.

Did this rifle load with stripper clips? Or was it loaded one round at a time?
Old June 17, 2001, 04:34 PM   #5
Rome

DON"T SHOOT THAT RIFLE!!!!

Dear Doc,

If your M44 has the word "instructie" stamped into the stock, you should assume that it is in a non-firing condition!!!

There were many rifles used for instruction that have that stamped in the stock and usually a red stripe around the butt.

You must check everything before loading a single round in that rifle

You must check the barrel to make sure it doesn't have any plugs in it.

You must check the barrel for size, too. I recently received a rifle that was similar to yours and the barrel was bored out yet you could still chamber a round. The barrel was so bad that I could actually put the entire round up beyond the shoulder of the casing in there! I would have been disaster if I had tried to fire it. Others have written about a blockage purposely inserted in the barrel yet a round could be chambered.

Truth be told, you probably have a demonstration rifle which is only good for hanging on the wall. Figure good condition and accurate rifles sell regularly for around $60 so $15 for a "trophy" rifle isn't all that bad.

Please have a smith examine that rifle before you try shooting it. Otherwise you may be putting yourself into some danger.

Rome
Old June 18, 2001, 08:59 PM   #6
DOCSpanky

No red bands on stock!
Clean and clear bore, verified!
Excellent rifling intact!
Gunsmith verified headspace!

SHOOT RIFLE MUCH THIS WEEKEND!

Thanks for looking our for me though
Old June 19, 2001, 06:06 AM   #7
Rome

Cool!

My personal experience with rifles marked "instructie" has had the rifles inoperable. I've read lots of posts at other websites with the same results: blocked barrels, drilled out barrels, etc., etc. Your rifle, however, sounds like it's the exception to the rule. Good for you!

Rome
Old June 19, 2001, 08:45 PM   #8
DOCSpanky

None of the numbers match, so it appears to have been rebuilt.