The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 11, 2022, 03:32 PM   #1
thallub

NY Attorney General Subpoenas Mrs. la Pierre

The wife of NRA head Wayne la Pierre has been ordered to turn over documents related to her involvement in matters pertaining to the NRA.

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nys...i8iduxe4jD/A==

BTW: The NRA has lost another round in court. This one involves the lawsuit filed by the former head of the ILA, Chris Cox. The NRA has spent eight million dollars defending the two million dollar lawsuit.

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/20...s-another-one/
Old January 11, 2022, 04:50 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

From the second link:

Quote:
One more loss. Just had a thought. The reason for purging Cox was that he’d received a text saying that LaPierre was being asked to resign over the scandals, and Cox replied it was a damn tragedy, or words like that. He doesn’t say it’s good, not by any means. It’s something you might say if a friend was caught in a scandal.
This is the first I have heard about that reason for Cox being fired. What I have been hearing (reading, actually) ever since he was purged was that Wayne had wanted to borrow ILA funds to bolster the general NRA treasury, and that Cox had [rightly] declined.
Jeepaholic
Old April 17, 2022, 09:05 PM   #3
JERRYS.

not much news about the NRA's legal troubles lately. did Biden's insertion into the White House take the spotlight (and heat) off the NRA?
Old April 18, 2022, 03:26 AM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
This is the first I have heard about that reason for Cox being fired.
I had heard Cox resigned. That site is odd. It only has three articles, and it doesn't give a source for the claim about Cox.
Old April 18, 2022, 06:09 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS.
not much news about the NRA's legal troubles lately. did Biden's insertion into the White House take the spotlight (and heat) off the NRA?
I'm going to take a wild guess that the NY AG has lost much of her interest in pursuing the case. Remember, she has made a BIG DEAL out of publicizing that she was going to put the NRA out of business. A month or two back, a judge ruled that dissolution of the NRA was off the table. Since that was what Ms. James wanted, I'll speculate that once she was told she can't do that her interest level dropped several notches.

She won't get the kind of publicity she's looking for if her lawsuit results in removing LaPierre and giving the NRA back to the membership -- which is exactly what should happen, considering that the NY State law under which she is suing was designed expressly to protect members of non-profits from the machinations of unscrupulous leaders.
Jeepaholic
Old April 18, 2022, 01:02 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

I find this entirely reasonable. If they can't destroy the NRA (blocked by a court ruling) they certainly don't want to FIX the NRA by having the "villains" removed....

This may not be what is actually going on, but it seems reasonable to me. Since she can no longer get what she wanted (destruction of the NRA and lots of press coverage of her doing it) I doubt she's pushing it as hard now as she did at the beginning.
Old April 18, 2022, 03:26 PM   #7
LeverGunFan

The NY AG is developing a track record of over-promising and under-delivering. There are at least two high profile political investigations (other than the NRA) that have not produced a single criminal charge, and now the AG is going to investigate the oil industry for price gouging. I don't expect much from that investigation either.
Old April 18, 2022, 06:03 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

once again, results are not the goal, the object is to be seen as "caring" and "doing something" about what ever the hot button topic of the day is...
Old May 3, 2022, 11:00 AM   #9
thallub

This is the first I have heard about that reason for Cox being fired. What I have been hearing (reading, actually) ever since he was purged was that Wayne had wanted to borrow ILA funds to bolster the general NRA treasury, and that Cox had [rightly] declined.

Yeah, i heard that too. But can no longer find any reference to this.

1. The NRA dumpster fire ignited at the annual meeting in April, 2019.

2. On about 20 June, 2019 WLP accused Chris Cox of being involved in attempting the over throw of the EVP:

https://www.secondamendmentdaily.com...-from-the-nra/

3. Then in early December, 2020 WLP accused Chris Cox of grifting.

Last edited by thallub; May 3, 2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old May 3, 2022, 04:31 PM   #10
thallub

The NRA is refusing to turn over certain documents related to the preparation of Form 990 report to the NY attorney general, claiming they are privileged communications.

"PRELIMINARY STATEMENT
The NRA seeks review of the Special Master’s determination that privileges associated
with two discrete attorney-client communications, and attached privileged materials, were waived.

The documents at issue (the “Documents”) are internal drafts of tax schedules prepared by the NRA’s outside tax counsel and shared with the NRA’s tax preparer. As demonstrated below, tax counsel’s confidential work product is immune from disclosure under CPLR 3101(c) and related provisions. The Court should review the Master’s rulings, consider the Documents in camera if necessary, and hold that the privileges were not waived.
"

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nys..._PLUS_Ss8z0A==

Last edited by thallub; May 3, 2022 at 09:13 PM.
Old May 3, 2022, 06:59 PM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Wayne had wanted to borrow ILA funds to bolster the general NRA treasury
That's just weird, because the ILA has a yearly budget of ~$4.2 million.