The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2018, 07:44 PM   #26
Dudechevy

kmw1954 wrote:

After 22 posts I guess I will say it. Be grateful that you nor anyone nearby was injured by the squib event.

Yes I am very grateful we were paying attention when we were shooting. It prevented someone being hurt. The 2 that we shot that didn't have powder in them did lodge the bullet in the barrel and had to be removed with a cleaning rod. IF we had we shot another round without checking the gun, we would have had a catastrophic failure, and someone would have been going to the hospital.

I took the failures very seriously and stopped shooting the 357, with plans to remove the bullets from the remaining ones which i did.

I have taken y'alls advise and come up with a plan to deal with this issue.

Thanks very much
David
Old January 11, 2018, 09:24 PM   #27
kmw1954

David, seriously thankful no one was injured.

We had an incident this past summer after I just started wet tumbling my brass. We had a squib and it stuck in the barrel just far enough that it wouldn't let another round chamber. We finished early and when we got home I bulled those bullets apart. In that lot I found 2 other bullets that had wet powder. Those cases had sat for 3 days in the open before they were loaded. I have since changed my cleaning practice, again. Here too I thanked my Karma that no one was hurt. The failure happened to my wife!
Old January 11, 2018, 09:46 PM   #28
BBarn

I've found that cases dry very slowly if spent primers aren't removed. My current practice is to remove spent primers before washing. Cases are rinsed with hot water and dumped on a towel to dry. All cases are placed on their sides on the towel in front of fireplace or near air vent.
Old January 12, 2018, 07:25 AM   #29
AVirginian

Removing primers before wet cleaning is my method too. It also assures that the primer pocket is nice and clean.

A small speck of something in a primer pocket can also lead to a primer not seating completely which can cause a myriad of problems. I say that from experience.
Old January 12, 2018, 07:57 AM   #30
mehavey

Throw the (wet) cases on a cookie sheet, and into the oven on "warm" for 15 minutes.
Be done with it.
Old January 12, 2018, 08:52 AM   #31
kmw1954

Thanks guy, we are not going to hijack this guys thread. The issue has already been dealt with.

The point was to relate the dangers of a squib and that it can happen for many reasons.
Old January 16, 2018, 10:16 PM   #32

I use the Hornady powder drop on on a LnL. I was loading 223 when the powder drop made a different sound on the downstroke. The case in station 3, after the powder drop, was empty. I cleaned the rotor and chamber, added some One Shot dry lube, and it hasn't happened since. Now I clean it regularly.
Old January 18, 2018, 07:10 PM   #33
PA-Joe

Do you have a baffle inside the powder tube?
Did you clean the inside of the powder rotor, cavity and tip of the powder drop adjustment plunger?
Are you double tapping on both the up and down strokes to make certain the cavity is full of powder and that all of the powder drops out?
Did you check all of the loaded cases and were there any with an over-charge?
Usually when you have an undercharge you will get an overcharge on the next case.
Old January 18, 2018, 09:46 PM   #34
Rifletom

Using a baffle was brought up in another thread. This will help a LOT. Especially in the RCBS Uni-Flow with lighter charges of, say Clays or Unique. Believe me, I went thru this before. The baffle really helps.
Old January 18, 2018, 11:15 PM   #35
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Got to be weary of those Pro 1000s. Mine many times due to a powders density produced {powder-less cartridges.} also. _ How I resolved my press's problem. Before a empty brass cycling into the Charging Station. I gave the Pro's powder measuer 'r a little tap on its plastic powder holding container. Over time I developed a 296 habit for doing. Well that habit came to a ending with the removal of Lee's Pro 1000 from my reloading bench. "So I gave up using my Pro 1000 and began to bean scale all cartridges." Over the decades of my beam scaling everything I've never encountered a double charge_a no charge_or a short charge. Absolutely none causing concern.

Frankly:
OP you where on the ball catching that bullet stuck in the bore. Firing another up in-behind would cause a whole lot of Whoops-a-daisy. So sir keeping your fingers intact certainly earned you a "That'a Boy"