The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2018, 02:50 PM   #1
nanney1

Rental Report: G19-4, CZ75B, M&P9 2.0, P320

Tried 3 new ones and one that I tried previously. Shot at least 2 mags with each.

Last week I shot the G19-5 and didn't like the grip cutout as it stung my pinkie. This week I tried the Gen4 with the finger grooves. Actually had the same issue as I left my pinkie on the crease of the base of the grip. So, I had to adjust again. Of the four, I was the least accurate with the Glock. Maybe it's because I have to adjust my pinkie - on both the 4 and 5, or maybe the grip angle is an issue. I'm sure if I shot it enough, I would adjust to the grip angle. Shot it better than my Shield, but not by a lot as I'm improving with the Shield and saw much greater improvement with my 442 this week.

Next was the CZ75B. Felt good, but of course, heavy. Instantly more accurate than I was with the Glock. Nice pistol. I see why it's known as a good shooter. However, I would probably go with a 75D Compact if I was to purchase a CZ.

M&P9 2.0. I've previously shot the 9C 2.0 and .45 2.0 and they both felt good and were accurate for me. The 9 2.0 was more of the same. Felt good, shot good. On par with the CZ. However, I shot 2 mags and each had one failure to feed properly. That was disappointing, but with a rental gun, who knows. I really like the M&P 2.0's. They feel good, shoot good, and are priced right. I would probably go with the 9C 2.0, but there's not much difference in size between the full size and compact.

I liked the P320 last week so much, I decided to shoot it again. It didn't disappoint as it still feels great to me and was very accurate. Just as good as the CZ and M&P as far as accuracy. For whatever reason, I just really like this model. Spoke to the range officer who recommended this gun to me last week. He said the rental model had the trigger upgrade and all of their models in the retail section were updated as well.

Basically, it was a wash as far as accuracy for the CZ, M&P, and Sig. The Glock was a bit behind those three, but, it was probably due to me not adjusting to the grip. If I was ready to make a purchase right now, it would be the P320.
Old February 11, 2018, 03:04 PM   #2
Chui

Yeah, Glocks are "different". They are inherently just as accurate as others but to extract that accuracy requires effort if you did not cut your teeth on them it seems.

Go with the M&P Compact!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 11, 2018, 03:06 PM   #3
TunnelRat

Like a number in the last thread said, any of those you mentioned should be reliable and are from reputable companies. Get the one you like the most. I can almost guarantee you that it will not be your last firearm purchase, so even if you do decide to try something else later on it's not a big deal.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 11, 2018, 03:19 PM   #4
nanney1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chui View Post
Yeah, Glocks are "different". They are inherently just as accurate as others but to extract that accuracy requires effort if you did not cut your teeth on them it seems.

Go with the M&P Compact!

I really liked the 9C 2.0 demo I shot 2 weeks ago. But, I already have 2 S&W's, the Shield 9mm and the 442 J Frame. For whatever reason, I think I should go with a different manufacturer for my next purchase. Just to try something different. But, I'm in no hurry to buy.

Since I saw some improvement with the Shield and 442 today, I'll probably concentrate on those two the next time I go to the range. I'll do some more rentals at some point as they have a Springfield RO 1911 in .45 that I want to try out. And, I want to shoot the M&P 45 2.0 again.
Old February 11, 2018, 03:21 PM   #5
Chui

I'm strongly considering the M&PC. It feels better than the 19 and can be had for under $400. So it's the perfect companion for biking and flying.

Old February 11, 2018, 04:02 PM   #6
nanney1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chui View Post
I'm strongly considering the M&PC. It feels better than the 19 and can be had for under $400. So it's the perfect companion for biking and flying.

One of the reasons I decided to try out some new guns was that I was getting frustrated with my Shield and 442. Once I went to the demo day and tried larger guns, I saw improved accruacy over the two I owned. I had in my mind that I would trade the Shield. The 2.0 9C would be the most logical upgrade as a means of coming out better as far as cost. Now that I'm starting to come around with the two that I currently own, I'll wait to purchase something else.

Flying???
Old February 11, 2018, 04:23 PM   #7
Brownstone322

Rental Report: G19-4, CZ75B, M&P9 2.0, P320

Two comments:
• If you go with a CZ 75 Compact, you should consider the PCR and P-01 (aluminum frames, but decockers instead of safeties).
• For the M&P, I woulda tried to rent the 5-inch FDE version, simply because it’s significantly different in size from the Compact.
Old February 11, 2018, 07:23 PM   #8
nanney1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstone322 View Post
Two comments:
• If you go with a CZ 75 Compact, you should consider the PCR and P-01 (aluminum frames, but decockers instead of safeties).
• For the M&P, I woulda tried to rent the 5-inch FDE version, simply because it’s significantly different in size from the Compact.
They had another CZ75 to rent but it was a polymer frame. However, in the retail section, they have a P-01 that I've handled and dry fired. Very nice.

They also have the 5" M&P to rent. May have to try it out at some point.
Old February 12, 2018, 02:26 PM   #9
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanney1 View Post
They had another CZ75 to rent but it was a polymer frame. However, in the retail section, they have a P-01 that I've handled and dry fired. Very nice.

They also have the 5" M&P to rent. May have to try it out at some point.
That polymer-framed piece was the SP-01 Phantom, I would presume.
Old February 12, 2018, 02:29 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Or a P-07 or P-09.

Old February 12, 2018, 02:34 PM   #11
Lohman446

For me with Glocks, when breaking them in, you have to be aware of grip (thumbs forward, thumbs forward, thumbs forward I keep telling myself). It does, after enough rounds, work its way into your mind.

Its one of the reasons I talk about how its not really important how you shoot the gun in the first few magazines but how you shoot after 1000 rounds. Hundreds of thousands (millions) of institutional users manage to qualify with them after some instruction and practice. However to some degree that holds true to all the firearms you are discussing. I really don't think there is a bad choice in there.

At risk of sounding like I was defending Glock I meant this as observational. If you don't want the Glock for any reason don't get it. There are plenty of choices that are just as good.
Old February 12, 2018, 02:58 PM   #12
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Or a P-07 or P-09.
Yeah, yeah, those too.

I was focusing on the CZ 75 family. How closely are the P-07/09 related to the CZ 75? Pardon my confusion on this, but, now that I browse some pics, I've seen some examples (older models, presumably) that actually say "CZ 75 P-07" on the slide. I own a freaking CZ (a PCR), and I wasn't even aware of this. (Yeah, the P-07 is DA/SA, but I was thinking it was architecturally more different from than similar to the CZ 75, like, say, a Beretta PX4 Storm versus a 92; guess not.)

Last edited by Brownstone322; February 13, 2018 at 01:47 PM.