The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 10, 2018, 10:13 PM   #26
subhuman

I shoot them all but favor the .40 pushing a 165 at around 1180-1200fps

the Tang and Shield are 9mm
.40 USP, P229,CZ 40B
.45 Sig 1911
Old February 10, 2018, 10:15 PM   #27
Onward Allusion

40 S&W is the best compromise handgun caliber, ever. I have no problems carrying 9mm, 40 S&W, or 357Mag, but 40 gives me the capacity and oomph I want. My EDC is a G27. If 10 rounds of 40 ain't going to do the job, 11 rounds of 9mm in my G26 or 8 rounds of 357 Mag in my 627, aren't likely going to make much difference.
Old February 10, 2018, 10:17 PM   #28
MandolinMan

Everyone is different and many factors like age, strength, lifestyle and experience influence pistol and caliber selection. What's great for one person may be not so good for another. The main thing is finding a pistol/caliber combination that you like and shoot well, and to keep training.
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old February 11, 2018, 01:49 AM   #29
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I shoot them all but favor the .40 pushing a 165 at around 1180-1200fps
As long as we're talking full-size handguns that are nearly impossible to CC unless you weigh 300+ pounds and can tuck it between some rolls or under the Dunlop...

I prefer a .476" 375 gr bullet at 1,400 fps.
That would be .480 Ruger, if you're unfamiliar.
Old February 11, 2018, 09:14 AM   #30
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
As long as we're talking full-size handguns that are nearly impossible to CC unless you weigh 300+ pounds and can tuck it between some rolls or under the Dunlop...
LOL

Do you consider a 1911 with 5'' barrel "full size"?
I'm 6'1 about 215# and easily conceal a 1911 or Glock 35, holster, position and cover garment all factor.
People at work might notice I never tuck in my shirt, not that I carry.

Old February 11, 2018, 09:25 AM   #31
Road_Clam

9mm is a better cartridge. Don't argue with me.

45ACP is a better cartridge. Don't argue with me.

.40 S&W is a better cartridge. Don't argue with me.

I got so sick and tired of all the arguing with myself I eventually purchased all three ! Love each one for what it is
Old February 11, 2018, 09:46 AM   #32
zipspyder

@Road_Clam - That's not the title of this thread or the purpose. 40 and 45 owners keep having to defend against the constant 9mm is the best ever weapon and how inferior or too big to carry they are compared to the 9mm, etc., etc...you have to have a great excuse to buy a 40+ or its just a waste.
Old February 11, 2018, 09:49 AM   #33
brian33x51

I like 10mm (and 40) but the cost of ammo and cost of the shield 9mm and taurus pt111 g2 this past summer (both around 200usd) and ny kids getting old enough to shoot made me get into 9mm.

I think 40 is still the way to go for a full sized service pistol against 2 legged targets. Cost of ammo is the only current downside...
Old February 11, 2018, 09:55 AM   #34
zipspyder

That is a great reason to purchase a 9mm. You simply can't beat the price of 9mm ammo now days in any other caliber (22LR exception) unless you are a hardcore re-loader. I purchased 1K 40 cal rounds for $200 shipped and considered myself pretty lucky at that price.
Old February 11, 2018, 12:53 PM   #35
dean1818

I went with 40 for some of the same reasons.........

I used to load and have pistols for 9,40, and 45

All are good, but wanted to get to one common caliber

Fotay was my choice.....

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old February 14, 2018, 04:53 AM   #36
Carl the Floor Walker

[B]"I never learn anything new from caliber war threads. It's like a repeat on television, over and over and over. I think every novice to shooting gets caught up in it and then you reach the point (hopefully) where you realize it's not about the caliber so much as it is about learning how to use your weapon effectively in a fight and that takes a lot of training and commitment to excellence and skill"I never learn anything new from caliber war threads. It's like a repeat on television, over and over and over. I think every novice to shooting gets caught up in it and then you reach the point (hopefully) where you realize it's not about the caliber so much as it is about learning how to use your weapon effectively in a fight and that takes a lot of training and commitment to excellence and skill.

You either become a tactics and skill guy or you remain merely a "gun guy" or "geardo" as they are referred to by many who see a lot of guys passionate about gear and caliber who, on the other hand, never advance beyond putting rounds through paper on a square range, from a static position."

I hear ya. Training and more Training trumps all calibers. Not to mention the fact that choosing a gun that you will carry each and every day, every where you go. Training is a commitment when you choose to carry and that cost is time and money. I spend more than I like and thank God for the versatile 9mm, the availability and lower cost. A small 9mm is the largest I know I will really carry on a day by day basis. And the recoil of a 9mm can be on the mild side, which does make handling and shooting more pleasant in a lot of training.
And I know many times I will just carry the small Pico in 380.But I do train extensively with that gun and I train with it weekly. A lot of rounds down range. I have heard all the arugments about calibers for so many years. I just focus on training with what I do have and what I will realistically carry.
In you can CCW a big 40 cal every day and afford to shoot it, then my hat is off to you. It just would not work for myself.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 14, 2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old February 14, 2018, 06:29 AM   #37
Spats McGee
Staff

And so another episode of Real Caliber Wars of the Internet comes to a close.