The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 30, 2002, 05:20 PM   #1
coati

Trolls

I'm new to online forums. TFL consistently holds my interest and has high standards. It's one of a very few that I read.

My question: trolls. There is an individual who breathlessly posts arcane and obtuse musings on velocity, bullet shape, barrel length, and the like. Apparently this person has reinvented himself using several names and is quickly identifiable by moderators. They rein the threads in quickly.

Some members attempt to engage but seem hesitant, observing that any response may expose the thin reasoning of the thread-starter. Or, maybe, they're afraid of where the topic may go.

Is this person
a) trying to create a disturbance
b) an ATF agent, searching out actionable behavior
c) a nut?

I understand that discussing him (or her, to be fair) might draw some unwanted attention. It seems like that his threads would drop like last year's grapefruit, left alone. I'm just curious, for the sake of the medium more than for his alleged expertise in firearms.
Old January 30, 2002, 06:03 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

coati-
What does a troll feed most upon?

Answer: Attention. Good attention, bad attention...it doesn't matter. The answer is Attention. Like many of you, we strain at the bit not to engage Trolls publicly. And so you quietly see them disappear....without attention. Long time Members know this to be the way we work and, almost invariably, support us by not engaging.

No insult intended, coati. It is a reasonable question. However, if the answer is clear, I ask that all others do us a favor by letting this thread quietly sink.

Luci's Law of Internet Discussion Management #242:
Quote:
Dont' feed the Trolls!
Rich
Old January 30, 2002, 06:25 PM   #3
yankytrash

Quote:
b) an ATF agent, searching out actionable behavior
Ohhhhhhhh, I guess that's why that guy was asking about machine gun parts and some user by the name of "coati".

I was wonderin...

Old January 31, 2002, 12:31 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's just damned rude, Yankee.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.