The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 3, 2017, 08:08 AM   #1
timpierce

Super Redhawk

I just picked up a SRH with 9.5" barrel. I want to use it for deer next season. For now, I want to shoot it with iron sights, and eventually put a red dot on it. I had a SRH about 15 years ago and shot it well enough to take some deer and a hog. I don't mind the recoil. I'm looking for any advice from seasoned handgun hunters to improve my grip, steadiness of hold-on target and in general how to develop good shooting habits with this gun.
Also looking for suggestions on a good red dot, and ammo for deer sized game.
Any advice appreciated.
Old February 3, 2017, 11:46 AM   #2
fourbore

I got one of those long toms. The only shooting tip I can think of is to give the grip a good squeeze and place your other hand under the gripping hand for steady. If you have not shot it yet you will be surprised. Recoil is no problem at all. I would try my very best to have a way to rest the gun. For me a rest is a difference between basket ball and golf ball group sizes.

Had you asked first, I would have suggested the 7.5 barrel for hunting, but the 9.5 is one way cool shootin iron. Did you find a holster yet?

A safe ammo choice is old standby 240 grain loaded by Hornady.

You did not ask, but; I found the trigger pull to strong for my taste. Either single or double action. The gun was so hard to cock in single action, I got a red thumb. I got a spring kit and cut the sa pull way down and made the gun much easier to cock too. The da pull improved dramatically as well. I forget where I got the spring. I can look it up or try a google and see if I recognize the seller.

The redhawk is a joy to work on if you came from any S&W experience.
Old February 3, 2017, 12:18 PM   #3
rob-c

On my 9.5 inch SRH I went down to a 12lb hammer spring and a 10 lb trigger spring ( ordered the wolf spring kit), I also installed a trigger/ hammer shim kit from trigger shims . And lastly I swapped out the factory hogue grip for the non-finger groove hogue grip, I have big hands and my fingers never lined up with the finger grooves . All of this helped me personally with keeping the gun on target as I was squeezing the trigger YMMV. As for a red dot check out ultra dot you can't kill em , I believe Amazon has them for around $160-170.i shoot mine a ton the only gun I shoot more is my cc lcr. My hunting loads are 240 grain xtp over 21 grains of 2400, If I do my job I can hold a 4-5 inch group at 100 yards.

Last edited by rob-c; February 3, 2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old February 4, 2017, 12:02 AM   #4
PzGren

For a good grip you need handstrength, besides a grip that fits your hand and distributes the recoil.

I recommend CoC No. 1 but a 100 lb version might be a good start for you.

http://ironmind.com/product-info/gri...rush-grippers/
Old February 4, 2017, 07:58 AM   #5
Fine Figure of a Man

I have the exact same setup as rob c. The Hogue grips make a big difference over factory grips. I think some SRH's come with Hogue grips now.
The Ultra dot sight is a must for shooting past 100 yards.
I use 240 XTP and 240 coated over 24 grains of H110.
Old February 4, 2017, 09:41 AM   #6
22-rimfire

What caliber?

I have found using a monopod the most practical temporary support hunting. My SRH has a 2x Leupold mounted on it. Tried just about everything in terms of supports. Nothing is perfect.

I would switch out the grips to the Hogue tamers. Mine is a 480 Ruger.

For the most part, this hawg of a gun is a two handed affair and you can use larger grips comfortably with two hands.

If I purchased another SRH, it would be a 7.5". I don't really think you gain much with the extra 2".
Old February 4, 2017, 05:00 PM   #7
timpierce

Should have stated 44 mag. I did order the spring kit. The grips are a great idea. I've worked with my hands most of my life, but I like the idea of building grip strength.
Old February 4, 2017, 11:51 PM   #8
PzGren

If you work a lot with your hands, you should be fine but in our modern times hand strength is waning. When you look at top-shooters' forearms, like Miculek, it is imaginable that his grip is like a ransom rest.
Old February 5, 2017, 09:33 AM   #9
Steve in PA

Only thing I did to mine, was change out the factory grips to a set of Hogue's.

Grip, steadiness, etc all comes from practice. I've taken deer out to 75 yards with my SRH. Shooting from a good braced position or use of shooting sticks will increase your success rate.

Old February 5, 2017, 01:13 PM   #10
timpierce

Steve, which Hogue grip did use?
Old February 5, 2017, 02:03 PM   #11
jackmoser65

The 30mm Ultra dot is hard to beat.
Old February 8, 2017, 11:46 AM   #12
Steve in PA

Hogue Tamer - Rubber
Old February 8, 2017, 06:42 PM   #13
doctor j

I have a SRH, 7.5", with 4X Leupold, and I have killed deer with it at 100 yards.

Prior to each season, I practiced 3 or 4 weekends in a row with 240gr LSWC over Unique to get consistent with grip, trigger, breathing, and holding still. Just prior to the season, I practiced with my hunting ammo and then put the SRH away without cleaning it.

During practice sessions, I wore the same gloves I wore when hunting.

Initially, I used 310gr "Hammerhead" ammo from Randy Garret. Later on I used 320gr cast SSK bullets (from Penn Bullets) over Win 296. Both worked well.
Old February 9, 2017, 11:46 PM   #14
big al hunter

I have SRH in 454 Casull. I found that the best way to get better accuracy was to practice with dry firing. You can do it in your living room, it is way cheap and you don't need ear plugs.

Just make sure you check that it is unloaded every time you pick it up. Practice holding and double action shoot dry fire. This will help your grip and you will feel the trigger better. It helped me immensely. Set up a small target and you will see improvement soon.