The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 23, 2014, 11:27 PM   #1
Glockstar .40

revolver for the wife

Hey yall im lookin at getting a revolver for the wife. any suggestions? im really thing of getting the LCR in .357? Anybody have any issues with theirs? would there be a better choice around the same pricepoint?
Old February 23, 2014, 11:57 PM   #2
Sevens

Depending on the skills of your wife and the curb appeal, I'd like to think that if you traded her for a revolver, you could at least get yourself something in a Smith & Wesson in return.

But enough of the clowning around. Your question is quite vague, we don't know what your wife will be doing with the revolver you buy for her. I can say with confidence that most normal adult human people will be horrified at the very first time they actually pull the trigger on a live round of .357 Magnum ammo from a .357-chambered Ruger LCR. It's cheaper and easier to simply stick your hand out of a car window and punch mailboxes at 45 mph. Feels the same, anyway.

Many of your answers may end up with some variation of "what does SHE want?" rather than what you think you want to buy for her...
Old February 24, 2014, 01:02 AM   #3
Glockstar .40

lol! it would be mostly a HD gun although she would carry it sometimes too. shes not a big woman so i was thinking something lightweight and she likes the feel of the LCR but after your description of what it feels like to fire maybe we should think of something else
Old February 24, 2014, 01:24 AM   #4
Sevens

Well, if you find some quality .38 Special ammo and stoke it with that, it'll be far easier to digest when it lights off. And better yet, if you buy the .357 Magnum version of the LCR, you'd get a slightly heavier (although slightly larger) handgun than the .38 Special LCR, and that extra weight will only help to combat the felt recoil. It will up the price a bit, however.

In my opinion, a home defense gun shouldn't ever be as small as an LCR. A larger handgun with more size and weight gives advantages in every possible facet except that it's far less concealable. For home defense where you'll never need to conceal, bigger is always going to be better.

A good four-inch Smith & Wesson would be a fine home defense tool if a revolver is what you seek. If she's going to carry on-person and concealed, it gets quite a bit more tricky.
Old February 24, 2014, 05:11 AM   #5
Genepix

I agree with Sevens. For HD, a much better choice would be something like a S&W K-frme or a Ruger SP101- something with some weight to absorb recoil and provide for a more pleasant and successful shooting experience all-around. A .357 platform loaded with good .38 will be a pleasure to shoot. This is my bedside HD- 3" K-frame w/ Crimson Trace grips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kframe.jpg (111.3 KB, 42 views)
Old February 24, 2014, 08:24 AM   #6
full case load

One of my carry weapons is a SP101 in 327 Fed. Mag. It doesn't bite, (hard anyway), and I think it deserves consideration in her application.
Old February 24, 2014, 09:03 AM   #7
kutz

LCR .357 with .38zzz.
Old February 24, 2014, 09:16 AM   #8
Tortuga12

The problem with "small woman=small revolver" is that the small .38 or .357 has a lot more perceived recoil than something larger and heavier. My wife doesn't even like to shoot my K-frame .38's because the recoil impulse is too unpleasant.

If you're set on a small frame, I'd get the heaviest available to mitigate the recoil impulse. If you're set on the LCR, perhaps the .22 magnum version would be a better "sell" (unless your little lady likes recoil!)

Best bet is to go to a range that rents guns, and let her try out a bunch to see what SHE likes.

Also, http://www.corneredcat.com/.
Old February 24, 2014, 11:47 AM   #9
Glockstar .40

thanks for the advice guys. She shot my buddies sp101 loaded with .357 and liked it. that may be the option we go with. its up to her.
thanks again
Old February 26, 2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Dave Chuppa

I have put several thousand rounds through my LCR357. Full power loads such as a PMC 357 JHP, hurt me. Most 357 Self Defence rounds are a little less recoil and I will shoot 100 rounds in a practice session. 38+P is fun and it's easy to shoot. 38 Special got to be boring after a while but, was fun because it was so accurate. I carry mine in my pocket every day. Depending on how your Wife may carry it could work. The Tamer Grip is bigger than a J-Frame Grip and the J-Frame is 2oz. Lighter. I find the LCR357 handles 38 Special recoil better than the J-Frame but, it's probably the Grip and 2 extra oz. I think my 442 J-Frame carries easier than the LCR in a pocket. I would carry the 442 in the pocket but my Wife has snagged it while we are hiding from Ohio's Winter in Florida. I still get visitation rights when she is not carrying.
Old February 26, 2014, 01:29 PM   #11
Waspinator

It really comes down to what each individual can handle, recoil wise. Me, I would never own a LCR in .357 mag. I own a SP101 and , for me, shooting .357 rounds out of it is not fun at all... and that is much heavier then a LCR. I stay with .38 specials for my gun and I can handle that just fine. I'd say I've probably only put about 100 rounds of .357 thru my SP101, and that was enough to know I don't like it, lol.

My wife, she doesn't like my SP101 at all, she say's it hurts her hands. But, then she likes to shoot a full size 1911 .45 acp. She says the recoil feels different, more of a push rather than a punch like with my revolvers. That is how SHE perceives it. I would never be able to buy my wife a gun, because we are so different when it comes to how different guns feel in our hands.
Old February 26, 2014, 02:34 PM   #12
RUT

>>I'm really thing of getting the LCR in .357?<<

Overkill.... .38 +P more than adequate in that gun, especially for a woman.
Old February 26, 2014, 03:27 PM   #13
Colt46

SP-101 in .38

It's a heavy piece that is very easy to manage even with +P loads. It's more conventional looking than the ugly(yet highly regarded)LCR

If it's not a carry piece then the extra weight won't have a downside to it.
Old February 26, 2014, 03:33 PM   #14
BWM

A S&W Mod 15 in a 4 in barrel. Start her with 115 gr bullets after she is use to that she can work up in to 158 Gr bullets. Then in to +p then into +p+. GOOD LUCK
Old February 26, 2014, 03:35 PM   #15
Pezo

The lcr will make it more probable she will have it on her at home all the time. This is a good thing. A home defense gun is more effective when it's right there in your reach. However if it's a case where the gun will be in a designated safe room in one spot. Not on her person. Then I would agree to up size to a six shot or more medium frame steel revolver with more barrel. I use a 3" gp100 loaded with quality ammo like hornady critical defense .38 +p or golden sabre +p.
Old February 27, 2014, 10:07 PM   #16
rodfac

That LCR feels pretty small in my hands, and my wife's too. She's carried a Smith M36 .38 special for better than 25 years now, but recently changed to a Smith M637 with Crimson Trace grips. Both guns fit her well, and she's very competent with either. Her 15 yard groups all in double action only, are the size of a tennis ball.

Which reminds me, I've got to put up some practice ammunition for our monthly woods walk, shooting when called on. We draw and fire on command from each other...makes it realistic in that you don't know how far, or when the shot will come. Lot's of fun too...and with all due regard to safe backstops etc. Sycamore leaves in the stream, thistle tops moving in the wind, knot holes...you get the idea. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 1, 2014, 01:20 AM   #17
Micahweeks

The LCR is convenient for carry because it's so lightweight. But, something a little more substantial is probably going to serve someone who doesn't shoot a lot a bit better. I'd look at a 3" SP101 if you can find one. It's still a pretty compact gun, but it's got a little bit of heft to it and isn't entirely unpleasant to shoot .357 mag out of. With .38 +p, it's actually pretty tame. I got the 4.2" version for a trail gun last year, and .357 out of it is actually pretty easy. I've shot the 3", too, and it's not too much more harsh, at least not to me. But, yeah. LCR is just so light. I don't like when newer shooters or people who do shoot but not a lot get those tiny little hand cannons and walk away from the range in pain. It makes them not want to shoot more. Then, we all lose.
Old March 3, 2014, 03:59 AM   #18
hemiram

I have to ask myself every time I've seen an LCR, "What is the appeal of this ugly thing?". I honestly don't get it. I just prefer my guns to look good, and be steel, not something that feels like it's made out of some toy made for my dog.
Old March 3, 2014, 06:00 AM   #19
Mastrogiacomo

The SP is a great choice. I have a SP DAO and I love it. In guns, weight is your friend, and it makes an enjoyable range day too. I never did understand the obsession with light weight guns that you just carry. If you can't use it all day at the range and enjoy getting good with it, why bother?

Laura
Old March 3, 2014, 02:30 PM   #20
Sevens

I understand both of the above two opinions, but I believe there is room in the world for a little more...
Quote:
I have to ask myself every time I've seen an LCR, "What is the appeal of this ugly thing?". I honestly don't get it. I just prefer my guns to look good, and be steel, not something that feels like it's made out of some toy made for my dog.
This pretty well describes why I own one Glock and in my perfect world, I'll never buy another. It's almost as ugly as a handgun can get and I absolutely LOVE for my guns to be physically attractive. "Good looking" isn't always a requirement for me, but I am absolutely drawn to the ones that are and I can say without reservation that handguns are a totally visceral experience for me and the way they look is a big part of it.

But consider that carrying (daily!) a horrendous looking hunk of ugly steel with a huge blob of plastic has a true value to someone who really loves all his "good lookin'" handguns: I don't have to care about the wear, use, sweat, dirt, scrapes, lint, or loss of finish on this 100% working gun.
Quote:
In guns, weight is your friend, and it makes an enjoyable range day too. I never did understand the obsession with light weight guns that you just carry. If you can't use it all day at the range and enjoy getting good with it, why bother?
I also get this angle, but I find it far easier to make allowances for a very wide range of familiarity, ability and expertise with a handgun. I shoot often and in high volume, and I shoot a very wide array of handguns on a regular basis, in a slew of different chamberings. I can say for sure that I would not spend a lot of time banging away on the range with an LCR (for many reasons) and that it's not very enjoyable to shoot these. However, I am still confident in my ability with one as a close-use defensive tool if I were in that position. And in many roles, it's simply a lot easier to carry something small and light and still have the confidence to employ it with skill and ability.

To the OP, if it's for his wife and she's not a shooter or enthusiast and is unlikely to be shooting any handguns often at all, then I think you are very much correct: it's too light, will be horrendous to shoot and her ability with it would be suspect at best for her use.

But for someone who is well seasoned in handguns, this definitely has a use and a role. And it's kind of funny and worth noting that I defend this position... but it's not a position that I employ. I don't even own a back-up gun and I don't own -ANY- snub revolvers and no mouseguns and have no plans to. I have one carry gun, my EDC, and it's the only carry gun that I use.

But I can see where these kinds of guns fit in.
Old March 3, 2014, 02:48 PM   #21
SansSouci

Lightweight .357 Mag revolvers are extremely difficult to control. Sight picture retention is invaluable. Excessive recoil militates against sight picture retention.

Firing a .357 Mag at night is blinding. After the first round, even where recoil is not an issue, the oppressive muzzle flash will destroy night vision causing sight picture retention to become a prayer.

Were I to use a .357 Mag revolver for self defense, especially in a home, I'd use only .38 Special 158 grain SWCHP +P ammo. And +P ammo in a Model 60 is not easy to control. It ain't fun to shoot.

I consider 4" barreled revolvers to be best balanced with a more natural point. I'm sure that many others find same with 6" barrels.

Factory ammo .357 Mag velocities are nowhere close to actual velocities out of guns with 4" barrels. Barrels any shorter than 4" yield velocities that aren't much better than .38 Special +P velocities. Years ago I chrono'd factory .357 Mag ammo out of a 4" 586. Velocities were pedestrian.

Finally, one of the attributes of the .357 Mag cartridge is superior sectional densities of heavy-for-caliber bullets. For trout fishing in black bear habitat, I use 180 grain bullets because of their penetrative ability. Hard cast bullets & Partitions are great choices.
Old March 3, 2014, 03:04 PM   #22
hivel37

Quote:
its up to her.
Bingo
Old March 3, 2014, 03:08 PM   #23
Madcap_Magician

If she was fine with the SP101 in .357... just get an SP101 in .357. If it's not going to see much time outside the home, the 4" barrel will tame recoil a bit more as well.
Old March 3, 2014, 03:17 PM   #24
TunnelRat

I owned a Ruger LCR for a bit. For me even hot 28 speical loads stung the hand a bit. Not enough to hurt really, but it left me with no motivation to shoot it a lot. In 357 I can only imagine.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 4, 2014, 09:33 PM   #25
Andy Blozinski

If she's recoil shy and you're not afraid to spend money, you could get a Chiappa Rhino. The bottom mounted barrel pretty much means no muzzle flip, even with .357 magnums. Firing .38s out of it is nothing.
Problem: It has a heavy trigger pull. You can get a trigger kit for even more money that removes this problem, but they refuse to put it on 2" barrel models. If you're going for a 4", 5" or 6" barrel, it would be great choice.