The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 7, 2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Topher127

Better sights? Or better trigger?

I'm putting together my ar15, and having a hard time deciding which way to jump. PSA has their classic lower with a hipertouch 24 trigger
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-magazine.html

I'm having a hard time deciding between this, or a regular lower with Magpul MBUS Pro sights. If I get the hipertouch, I would get the non-pro mbus. I have the Vortex Strikefire as my optic. (another PSA sale, couldn't pass up the deal)

This is going to be mainly a range toy, home defense rifle. It's a bit of a memorial to my father in law, who got me into shooting. Opinions welcome... Maybe I'm over looking something?

This is the upper I have ordered...
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...dle-14596.html
Old October 7, 2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Drhc116

My vote goes with better trigger. BUIS are BUIS but there is a world of difference in basic LPK triggers and ones like the Gis SSA and the like.
Just my 2 cents.
Old October 7, 2013, 12:54 PM   #3
PeteApps

If you are handy, you can great results by making a few inexpensive and simple changes to your trigger springs, etc.

I recently did this, total cost was about $15 and an hour of work. Excellent results!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/544...ger_work_.html

Do this and spend the money on sights or an optic.
Old October 7, 2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Rikakiah

Re: Better sights? Or better trigger?

Since it's just range/HD and you already have a red dot, you can't really go wrong either way. I don't know how PSA's stock triggers are, so that may be a gamble and you may very well like the upgraded trigger. Conversely, a backup sight is just that-a backup that you may never use, unlike the trigger you'll be pulling a lot more often.

In your case, I think you'll notice a fancier trigger more than a fancier backup sight.
Old October 7, 2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Boomer58cal

You'll never regret a nice trigger.

Boomer
Old October 7, 2013, 06:57 PM   #6
rep1954

A good trigger is a must and nicer sights are a luxury. Get the trigger taken care of first and then work on the sights. Both at the same time is nice if you can swing it.
Old October 7, 2013, 09:27 PM   #7
Darker Loaf

I'm generally of the same opinion. I like a good trigger, but the Magpul plastic/non-Pro BUIS are kind of cruddy. I know they are standard for many companies when outfitting their rifles as primary sights, not BUIS, but I found that the plastic strips easily and the nuts that retain them will rotate (even with blue lock tight). Granted, I'm the kind of person that everything goes wrong for (see my current thread), but I've relegated my plastic Magpul BUIS for airsoft only.

My Troy BUIS, on the other hand, are pretty sweet.
Old October 7, 2013, 10:29 PM   #8
mxsailor803

Got another vote for a trigger. You'll never regret it.
Old October 8, 2013, 12:39 AM   #9
iraiam

Quote:
I'm generally of the same opinion. I like a good trigger, but the Magpul plastic/non-Pro BUIS are kind of cruddy.
I am forced to agree with this, I had to do some of work on mine before I considered them usable on a firearm. I still have them on one as backups, I will be upgrading them to something better as funding allows.

My Plastic Magpul MBUS sights had issues, The front sight post would not stay set, the spring loaded keeper did not mate with the notches in the post. I took the plastic sight post out and installed a standard sight post, this made it so the post is much stiffer to turn and the keeper mates with the notches now.

The rear sight aperture was loose and sloppy, it would not stay in the up position when firing the weapon. I disassembled and had to re-shape the leaf spring under the folding apertures to put more spring pressure on them. now there is a distinct "cam over" effect when moving the apertures, and they stay put now.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 8, 2013, 06:44 AM   #10
rebs

I would say get the trigger first.
Old October 8, 2013, 06:49 AM   #11
BillyJack3

How often are you going to use your BUIS? If you'll mostly be using your red dot, then I doubt you'll flip the sights up much at all.

Go with the trigger. It's hit and miss with PSA triggers. I have 2 and one is GRITTY!

The MBUS Pro's are nice but I can't imagine choosing them over a nice trigger just to have them folded down on a rail. The polymer MBUS will stay folded down just as nice.