The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 26, 2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Come and take it.

The coming filibuster

Not sure how difficult this could make passing the gun control bills but One of my senators (Rand Paul) and two others have threatened to filibuster the gun control bills.

It would be nice to see more and more conservative senators to join hands and defy the passage of these bills.

Obviously if you have enough long winded speakers the Senate will have to move on to other business and give up.
Old March 26, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

unles they have the votes to stop the filibuster, and They are at least close. It may pas the Senate, but almost certainly not the House.
Old March 26, 2013, 01:32 PM   #3
BarryLee

Quote:
It would be nice to see more and more conservative senators to join hands and defy the passage of these bills.
It would really be nice to see more freedom loving Congressman of all political philosophies speak out against this legislation.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 26, 2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

An analysis I read is like this:

Reid wanted to give the progun Democrats an opportunity to vote against amendments such as the AWB and mag limits. Thus, this would help their election. The bills would still be defeated.

However, the Rand, Cruz and Lee move short circuits this move and never lets the bills get voted upon. Thus, it keeps the entire Democratic brand labeled as antigun.

This, skirts party politics and offered as info. Let's avoid political rants. Please.

GEM
Old March 26, 2013, 02:03 PM   #5
SPEMack618

I find it a sad state of affairs that a filibuster is being considered to block an infringment upon civil liberties.

I remember reading about a time when the filibuster was the last resort of the wrong and morally repugnant.

Now it is bandied about as the ultimate last ditch FPF of freedom and the Consitution.
Old March 29, 2013, 04:44 AM   #6
dakota.potts

Much like guns in that way, don't you think? Just a tool. It could be used for good or bad, to defend or oppress. It is what it is. Senator Paul has gained my eye lately, and I have heard talks that my Senator Marco Rubio may be joining.
Old March 29, 2013, 06:54 AM   #7
cvc944

Quote:
Much like guns in that way, don't you think? Just a tool. It could be used for good or bad, to defend or oppress. It is what it is.
Exactly. It might be a good idea if we all started calling them what they are instead of what can be done with them. They are rifles, shotguns, revolvers and pistols. I don't let people call them weapons unless they have been used as such. A baseball bat is a piece of sports equipment until you start beating someone with it. Firearms deserve the same courtesy.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:20 AM   #8
thallub

Quote:
Reid wanted to give the progun Democrats an opportunity to vote against amendments such as the AWB and mag limits. Thus, this would help their election. The bills would still be defeated.

However, the Rand, Cruz and Lee move short circuits this move and never lets the bills get voted upon. Thus, it keeps the entire Democratic brand labeled as antigun.
^^^^^^Bingo!!!^^^^^^^

This may be a ploy to save some senators from themselves. Left to their own devices, several Republicans in the senate may vote for magazine bans, universal background checks and an AWB.

History: The first AWB came about after a Republican filibuster. Bob Dole asked members of his party to stick with him through three cloture votes. They did that. Then seven members of Dole's party broke ranks. The final cloture vote was 61-38 with one senator (R) not voting.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=2&vote=00295

Last edited by thallub; March 29, 2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old March 29, 2013, 10:53 AM   #9
chiefr

I am humbled by patriots such as Paul, Cruz, and Lee.

... Of politics.
It is almost impossible to have a conversation with any shooting, firearm enthusiast, collector, hunter, attend a gunshow, go to a shooting range, a pawn shop, or a firearm retailer and avoid talking about politics.
Old March 29, 2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I find it a sad state of affairs that a filibuster is being considered to block an infringment upon civil liberties.

I remember reading about a time when the filibuster was the last resort of the wrong and morally repugnant.
At this point, I'll take whatever it takes to win. The lies and deception are winning hearts and minds in small-minded America, even in my own family. Thank God for people like Cruz, Paul and Lee! To those, I will add Graham, Grassley, Cornyn, Sessions, Hatch, and Flake. I'm about to call all these guys and personally thank them for doing what my own senators refuse to do because of what they deem "the greater good" or "common sense."