The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2011, 02:51 PM   #1
ammo.crafter

.303 British

Anyone have a favorite load for this cartridge?

Is there a parent cartridge that this was derived from?

My "new" son in-law just picked up a pristine .303 from an old timer who was walking into a local gun store to trade in his WW II souvenir.
Old September 24, 2011, 04:17 PM   #2
wogpotter

I have this 150 Gr load for you. The factory loads were for 174GR FMJ FB but you can't find FB bullets in 174/180gr except for RN types . Some Enfields (mostly with 2-groove barrels) don't like BT bullets so I go with 150 Gr flat bases for my reloading.
The case is unique, but if you need some brass I can probably point yo to someone with some to sell, not me, I'm collecting, rather than dispensing.

150 Gr Hornady HP-FB # 3120 PPU case 38.0gr IMR3031 Fed 210 primer 2500 @ 10'

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 24, 2011, 05:11 PM   #3
ammo.crafter

THX!
Old September 24, 2011, 05:15 PM   #4
bbqncigars

I would strongly advise that the bore be slugged to determine what the bore diameter is on that gun so you know what will/won't work as far as bullets go. Enfields are rather notorious for variation in bore diameter. For brass, try Midway.
Old September 24, 2011, 07:14 PM   #5
2_Grumpy

Hi,

I bought new winchester brass a few years ago. The old original brass has the two flash hole primer that make reloading difficult. I used blc-2 powder behind a 135gn hollowpoint made for the .303 (which is actuallu .311)
Old September 24, 2011, 10:58 PM   #6
Adamantium

My pet load is a 160 grain hardcast lead slug (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=339539) which throws a little large behind 16 grains of 2400 with compressed grits as filler. Smells good as you shoot it .

All the jacketed bullets I have bought I have measured with my digital calipers. Sierra, Speer, Remington and Hornady have always come up slightly undersized, .309-.310. The only bullet that measures correct (.311) is the Barnes all copper bullet.
Old September 24, 2011, 11:02 PM   #7
Adamantium

Quote:
The old original brass has the two flash hole primer that make reloading difficult
What you are seeing is Berdan primed, which is generally considered not reloadable. Even if you got the primer cup out it wouldn't help you because the anvil is part of the case, which means the commercial primers we buy aren't compatible because they have an anvil built in them.
Old September 25, 2011, 08:40 PM   #8
federali

The .303 was developed in 1889. To my knowledge, it's an original design and not derived from a parent case. However, this may be debatable as there were many rimmed military cartridges when nations first adopted bolt action rifles. Interestingly, the American .30-40 Krag is based on the .303 British.