The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 19, 2010, 07:12 PM   #1
BGutzman

Being a good neighbor

Last week I had what appeared to be a gentleman who was poor but trying to improve his lot in life and that of those around him ring my door bell. I allowed the fellow to present his information and I engaged him in honest dialogue up until the point where his face never moved as his eyes tried to intentionally and methodically scanned my house.

It was a conversation ending look and obviously not normal as any average person would have moved there head and in his case only his eyes moved to scan my residence.

I ended the conversation politely and closed and locked my front door and took my cc weapon from condition one to condition in my hand ready to go but of course finger off the trigger as I phoned the local police.

The potential miscreant was intercepted by law enforcement and a conversation with law enforcement ensued over the phone that resulted in his apprehension for not having the proper license to pedal his "charitable goods".

In my mind my house is now on the high threat list for robbery. I wondered to myself after it was over how many else have encountered this and how they reacted.
Old April 19, 2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Hoss Fly

Get out the tin foil
The black helecoptors are hovering overhead
Seriously- you could be totally right & prevented a crime-
You could have also caused a lot of hassentment to a poor slob trying to put food on the table for a couple hungry kids-
Who knows

Personally- I DONT CALL 911
Old April 19, 2010, 07:39 PM   #3
BGutzman

He was supposedly selling magazines... To look into my house you have to look up to the second floor and due to the particular layout its hard to see much.... However he scanned methodically left to right and up and down twice while never missing a beat, the guys head never moved, it stayed trained on me.

Uncle Sam spent good money training me for some basic things Id rather not talk about but suffice it to say I have at least a basic knowledge of observing people.

If I was wrong at least my house is safe and he is only mildly worse for wear, if I was right my possessions and my sense of security last a little longer.
Old April 19, 2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Edward429451

Well perhaps the poor slob shouldn't have been checking out his house so closely. I'm sure Hoss would've invited him in for coffee

Sounds like you were payin attention to me.

...and Hoss...just because we tin foilers are paranoid...doesn't mean that they're not really out to get us.
Old April 19, 2010, 07:42 PM   #5
jfrye5

What??? Semi-auto paranoia

You invited a stranger into your home, one that was admittedly in economic dire straights, once inside he looks around so you call the cops? I don't know what to say about this ridiculous situation except I wished I hadn't come across it on this forum and wasted this much time replying.
Old April 19, 2010, 07:43 PM   #6
CWPinSC

Quote:
You could have also caused a lot of hassentment to a poor slob trying to put food on the table for a couple hungry kids-
Not likely. In most decent-size towns/cities there are missions, soup kitchens, and various professional aid entities, such as The Salvation Army, churches, etc. whose business is to help people such as this guy (IF he's legit).

Maybe I'm just too jaded, but I automatically discount 99% of any story spun on my doorstep or by a stranger on the street. I've seen too many con artists, winos, and plain old crooks hawking the standard "sob story". If I even talk to these people, it's only to direct them to a local agency. Often, I'll offer to call a LEO who will help them get to where there is help. I've never been taken up on THAT offer.
Old April 19, 2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Technosavant

Quote:
You invited a stranger into your home, one that was admittedly in economic dire straights, once inside he looks around so you call the cops? I don't know what to say about this ridiculous situation except I wished I hadn't come across it on this forum and wasted this much time replying.
And this was your first post?

There are cases where people ring the doorbell with innocent reasons given, but in fact they are casing the place- if they see anything of real value or indicators that there is anything of value, then they'll be back later. If you answer the door then, they'll come up with some other story. If you don't answer, they'll try breaking in.

You think the OP is overly suspicious. I disagree. You may not have been educated as to the M.O. of modern criminals.
Old April 19, 2010, 07:52 PM   #8
BGutzman

Quote:
Invited? No.. He rang my door bell, not the other way around.. I like to at least hope I can maybe help someone who's trying to improve their lot in life. Despite all evidence to the contrary I have some hope that people overall are worth something and at least some can become something more.

I am willing to help almost any honest person, unfortunately their seem to be less and less of them every year.
Old April 19, 2010, 07:52 PM   #9
nik-e

I'm with you B a few years ago I had a guy knock on my door saying he was selling the newspaper well my dog (who was a well trained service dog) growled at the door, in 5 years I had never heard that dog growl! So I ofcourse refused to open the door about an hour later I got a call from my then boyfriend who worked at the complex where we lived telling me to lock the door and not to answer it for anybody.... turns out the guy "selling papers" knocked on a womens door in the building next to mine when she opened it he pushed his way in beat and raped her. So as far as I'm concerned better "paranoid" and safe then sorry!!
Old April 19, 2010, 07:55 PM   #10
jfrye5

So he was criminal now

That's what peep holes are for or for crying out loud don't open the stupid door. Save it for the tactics forum. What does this have to do with semi-autos? And what does post count have to do with anything?
Old April 19, 2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Hoss Fly

Quote:
Not likely. In most decent-size towns/cities there are missions, soup kitchens, and various professional aid entities, such as The Salvation Army, churches, etc. whose business is to help people such as this guy (IF he's legit).
True- Those places are great & needed
Would YOU go to one or try selling door to door first or anything else possible to make a honest buck without takeing charity
Might be pride & wanting to work involved or just a low life wanting to steal -
Just saying we dont know---

Quote:
...and Hoss...just because we tin foilers are paranoid...doesn't mean that they're not really out to get us
I know that for a FACT
Old April 19, 2010, 08:01 PM   #12
BGutzman

Im sorry wrongly I assumed the cc would be clear that I was carrying a semi auto, obviously its not that clear. The point remains that this happens and is a danger and I would like to know how other people carrying semi autos or revolvers or cannons have dealt with similar situations.
Old April 19, 2010, 08:04 PM   #13
mete

NEVER let a stranger into your home !!! There are lots of 'nice ' people who have ended up being robbed or worse by doing this !
Old April 19, 2010, 08:57 PM   #14
CWPinSC

Quote:
Might be pride & wanting to work involved or just a low life wanting to steal -
Just saying we dont know---
But can we afford to take the chance?
Old April 19, 2010, 09:00 PM   #15
ProjectCamaro

You did the right thing, way to many people don't say anything and become victims of crimes.
I can tell you that law enforcement would rather have you call them about this than to ignore it. That is what they are there for.
Old April 19, 2010, 09:05 PM   #16
JED1177

Sad........

Probably just some poor stiff trying to make a buck, all the while suffering from Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration.......

Guess that's better than lead poisoning.

Seriously, I have my wife answer the door to deal with people like this ..... she's talked more than few people to death on the front porch!

Last edited by JED1177; April 19, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old April 20, 2010, 03:33 AM   #17
imthegrumpyone

A so, so post but I'll bite. I'm not a prisoner in my own home afraid to answer my door. You don't want to try any BS on my property, that includes with the 24/7 CC "Better Half" You come knocken at my door and try to pull any crap, you'll be advised that you have already passed the "No Soliciting" sign, so you've got one strike against you already, your move.
Old April 20, 2010, 03:45 AM   #18
NWCP

I always take a gander at who's standing on my porch and can do so without being seen. If it's someone I don't know I generally let the dogs answer the door. With all their sniffing and barking and the beware of dog sign salesmen and other 'undesirables' tend to find another house to approach. Friends on the other hand know they are a couple of ankle biters that would just as soon be petted as to chase anyone and are allowed enter without fear of bodily harm. Dogs are good to have around.
Old April 20, 2010, 03:58 AM   #19
MissouriShooter

Dogs are good to have around.

Indeed. We've got an Australian Cattle Dog who has attached herself permanently to me and even makes an effort at growling when wife or kids hug or show affection to me. I am her human, and that's the end of the song.

She and I are at home, alone, through the day. I'm retired, handicapped and I usually don't answer the door unless I'm expecting something. If you come to the front door you'd best be a familiar face or be greeted by me. I certainly wouldn't want to bust through that portal of our split level hearing her warnings. Tasha sounds much bigger than her 50 pounds. And considerably more ferocious.

Then, of course, there's the handheld artillery at easy grasp here, there and everywhere. But that's only a backup for the dog.

Last edited by MissouriShooter; April 20, 2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old April 20, 2010, 04:27 AM   #20
GojuBrian

It's good to trust your instincts. I believe I would have had the same reaction.

I have a no solicitors sign on my door for just such occasions.

www.gunfacts.info
Old April 20, 2010, 05:41 AM   #21
flyinpolack

blast from the past..

About 15 years ago a friend of mine got involved with one of those magazine selling gimmicks. They did the exact same thing that the OP started this thread about. After a bunch of B&E's he & his cronies wound up in jail because an ex-cop in town got paranoid & laid in wait for em.
This was in a relatively rural area too. not a big city.
As soon as strangers show up on my property they get the 3rd degree.
You can never be "too" paranoid around strangers.
Old April 20, 2010, 05:57 AM   #22
Hoss Fly

Quote:
But can we afford to take the chance?
Course not!
I get very little solicitors of any kind but when i do i meet them outside if i see them comin, if not i open the door & continue outside (causing them to back away from my door) real freindly like
Best to let a stranger look at a closed front door IMO
Old April 20, 2010, 07:21 AM   #23
CWPinSC

Quote:
I have a no solicitors sign on my door for just such occasions.
My sign reads:

ABSOLUTELY
No
Soliciting, Selling, Promotions, Offers of Any Type, Advertising, Brochures or Tracts, Marketing, Surveys, or Proselytizing!

Deliveries and Mail in Back

Have a Nice Day!

I think that about covers it.
Old April 20, 2010, 08:16 AM   #24
LordTio3

I hear you man. I really do.

Very similar situation happened to me after a string of breakins in my neighborhood. I drove up to my apartment complex one night, parked my car, got out, and passed one of these particular "gentlemen" on my way into my place. I drive a pretty nice looking car for a guy my age. I used my keyless remote to lock my doors and continued up to my apartment.

When I lock my car doors, my horn sounds, and my headlights stay on for 180 seconds.

After about 5 minutes, this gentelman knocks on my door. It's 11pm and there is no way in the world he should know which of the 8 doors is mine without having followed and watched me. I saw him through the peephole and got my weapon ready and behind me. When I answered, he said that he noticed my headlights were still on while looking behind me into my place.

I told him, "I know they are. Thank you. Good night." And I closed and bolted the door, got my keys, made my way to the bedroom window, and just as I expected, he walked right out into the lot and started looking into my car windows. I pushed the lock button again, sounding the horn, and he jumped, looked back up at my window to see me standing there staring at him, and slowly moved on.

I watched for an extra 5 minutes and promptly moved my vehicle and slept lightly that night.

So I feel you. I've been well-trained and believe that you should always trust what your instincts are telling you. I even go as far as to trust what my dog's instincts are telling him. The worst that can happen is that you are over-cautious. I agree with your assessment and your reaction.

Well done,
~LT
Old April 20, 2010, 08:34 AM   #25
Scout

I live in a deteriorating neighborhood. I never answer the front door. When someone knocks, I go out the side door and approach them from the side...armed. It seems paranoid to those who live in a better neighborhood, I'm sure.

Tags
robbery , threat