The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 7, 2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Booker_B.

Gas valve help

Hi I just bought a yugo sks and the gas shutoff valve is rusted in it's holder and I can't get it loose. I'd like to replace it if I cold get it out. Any suggestions on how to get it out?
Old March 7, 2006, 08:23 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

PB Blaster or Kroil

I would either spray it with PB Blaster or pour Kroil down the tube myself. Pour or spray from either end as well and allow it to sit up for a couple of days. Hopefully by then you can drop it out by bouncing the gun or maybe use a thin piece of spring stock and tap it out.

Once you get it out, you are going to need to scub out the tube very well. I would suggest using either the Kroil or PB Blaster on steel wool and use a dowel to push the steel wool back and forth. If this still leaves some rust, I would wrap a sheet of fine emery cloth around a dowel and then use the dowel to push it back and forth, and then repeat the steel wool. Then I would use some 409 to wash it out and then blow it dry with an airhose. Make sure from there that you use a light touch of oil such as breakfree wiped on the new gas rod. I wouldn't even try to clean up the old rod if it is rusted enough to be stuck in the tube. You may end up with a little larger tube, but you should be ok with a new gas rod in the old tube.
Old March 8, 2006, 12:25 AM   #3
Booker_B.

Thanks for your help but I'm talking about the piece in front of the gas tube that you turn and push out. Sorry if I called it the wrong thing.
Old March 8, 2006, 09:15 AM   #4
DWARREN123

Push down and turn. Use a oil for breaking free rusted parts.
Old March 8, 2006, 02:52 PM   #5
cntryboy1289

My apologies

I misread it myself. Same holds true though for breaking loose rusted parts, Kroil or PB Blaster and let it sit long enough to work. I would completely break the gun down and make sure you don't have rust somewhere else as well.

From my memory, It turns just like a right hand thread. Use a bullet nose to push it in and turn when you get it oiled up well.
Old March 8, 2006, 10:08 PM   #6
Booker_B.

Right now I have it soaking in JB-80, that'll work too right? Thanks for your help.
Old March 9, 2006, 01:09 AM   #7
cntryboy1289

Lol

That's a new product on me, but any product that will penetrate rust will do.