The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 1999, 02:43 AM   #1
StanA

I thought I have seen on here maybe about 500 and 500A's? I now there is the 590A1. But is there a 500 that is just marked 500 and one that is marked 500A ? The one I just got has 500A. If there is a 500 and a 500A whats is the difference? Thanks Stan.
Old November 3, 1999, 07:18 AM   #2
Woody

If I remember right the safety block is slightly different and the Mossy 500 not
500A you have to take the magazine tube off (screw it out) of the receiver to get the action bars and forearm off of the action.

I hope this is right.

Woody
Old November 3, 1999, 07:56 PM   #3
StanA

Yea' Woody mine looks as thought the magazine tube is screwed in. Is that the only differences? Is that a older model? It is stamped: Mossberg, Made in the USA, North Haven Conn. 500A, 12GA.
Are there some not USA? I don't know? Thanks for any ones help. Stan..
Old November 4, 1999, 03:53 AM   #4
Woody

StanA all the mossy 500 have a screw in magazine tube. What I meant to say is that
to disasemble the gun down to its major
parts you actually have to
1) take triggergroup out
2) take the bolt and plate that the action
bars attach to out
3) unscrew magazine tube(take off receiver)
to get the forearm off.

On the newer guns you can disasemble the gun to the major components without unscrewing to magazine tube.

The reason Mossy did this change was to make
it easier to clean there shotguns. I know that I didn't explain it real well but if
you see one of each taken down you would notice the difference immediatly.

As far as I know Mossberg has always produced there shotguns in country I've never heard about any importation of a knockoff or Mossberg authorized clone.
Mossy also make a cheap sotgun for another
company that only has 1 transfer bar instead
of the normal 2. I cannot remember the name right now.

If it is one of the older guns that you have I would keep it as there actions seem to be
smoother to me.

Woody
Old November 4, 1999, 09:19 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Mossberg quit using suffix letters on their 500s in the early eighties. They had gone to what they called the "shooting systems" concept of having one weapon and spare barrels instead of different weapons with different barrels. The options were becoming almost endless and the receiver stampings were getting too long.

Mossberg's old promotional brand was New Haven. They now make the Maverick line.

An excellent source of information for most anything Mossberg is Mossberg More Gun For The Money The History of O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc by Victor Havlin and Cheryl Havlin