The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 16, 2015, 11:21 AM   #26
campingnights

A sobering video indeed! Even a steel door wouldn't have held without reinforcement, the locks would just break out of the wall. That's why my back door has a 3/16 steel backstrap about 4 foot long to reinforce the door frame.

Gotta say I prefer the standard old heavy can of corn, those newfangled polymer cans are so bloody ugly!

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old February 16, 2015, 05:23 PM   #27
tipoc

Good video. But this didn't happen all that fast.

When you watch the video and read the article. You see that the couple turned on the video camera once they heard and saw signs of a disturbance upstairs. They prepared themselves for a violent encounter. As in most cases of "home invasions" the victims knew the assailant. They knew he was a mentally disturbed individual with a potential for violence. They lived in the same house as he did. They called him by name as he kicked the door in.

The door is not an exterior door but an interior door. It is not meant for apartment front doors but is accepted if you rent a room in a home. Which is what it looks like they did.

Anyways, good thing the fella was armed and that they had planned to turn on a camera if anything got violent with the man. Clearly they suspected that it might and at the early signs of him getting violent they were prepared to act. Good heads up action based on a correct assessment of his mental state.

tipoc