The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 14, 2005, 07:47 AM   #1
Logs

Ruger 10/22 Jamming - HELP

I am having issues with my 10/22 jamming. I have tried new magazines, cleaning the heck out of it... nothing works. Gun will fire one round and then load a fresh round, but the bolt must not be coming back far enough because it is not cocking the hammer so you can't fire the fresh round. I have tried 3 lines of ammo, CCI, Federal and Winchester.
Mike
Old June 14, 2005, 10:08 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

There's a good possibility that the problem isn't "short stroking", as in the bolt isn't "coming back far enough".

In most semi-auto firearms, it's almost impossible for the bolt NOT to cock the hammer due to the design. In most autos, the hammer cocks before the bolt opens enough to eject a round.

In many cases, what's actually happening is a problem in the trigger group is causing the hammer to fail to STAY cocked.
In other words, the hammer is being pushed back, but something is causing the hammer to not be held by the disconnector, and the hammer is riding the bolt back down.

This could be a worn, misassembled, or fouled trigger group.

My first move would be to check the trigger group, and/or give IT a good cleaning.

Look for grit, fouling, brass and burned powder particles, etc.

Test the trigger assembly to insure the sear/disconnector is functioning properly.
Old June 14, 2005, 10:13 AM   #3
XavierBreath

I'd wager that the spring between the sear and disconnector is missing, broken, or the parts are so dirty that the spring is ineffective.
Old June 14, 2005, 12:12 PM   #4
Logs

Thanks for the help. I cleaned it again this morning and the same thing. So I just took it over to a Smith and he said it was in the sear. He would push the trigger over a bit and it would fire. Should have it back by Friday.

Thanks for the help.