The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 7, 2008, 09:53 PM   #1
toogunshy

"1960 new model army centennial" cleaning information please

I bought a 1960 new model army centennial, which is made in Belgium at a local estate sale. It looked great at first glance. But after I got it home I noticed that it was missing the pin to hold the barrel in place. I notice that the cylinder would not turn when I pull the trigger. So I start taking it apart to clean it. There was no rust on the outside of the gun. I found a little rust when I started looking at the internal part. I found a little rust. I was able to take almost ever thing apart except the cylinder. With barrel, trigger, handle and hammer removed I still could not remove the cylinder. I thought that it should just slide off the barrel alignment pin (metal rod in the center of the cylinder). I know that is not what it is called. I have put WD40 and other oil trying to make it loosing up. But with no luck.

So here are my three questions. The first one is does anyone know how I can get the cylinder off of the rod so I can clean and oil it? I am guessing that the cylinder is rusted on the rod. The other rust that I have found has not been that bad.
2. Am I correct on that fact that the cylinder should just slide off the rod once the barrel is removed?
3. Does anyone know where I can get the pin that holds on the barrel?
Thanks for any help.
Old September 7, 2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Hawg

You might try putting a wooden dowel against the rear of the cylinder and tapping it off. If that doesn't work you can soak it in kerosene for a month or so and try it again. A wedge for any of the clones should work.
Old September 7, 2008, 10:56 PM   #3
toogunshy

thanks

Tried to use dowel, will soak it in kerosene. Is kersene better that WD40 or liquid wrench. Just wanted to make sure that I was not missing any hidden screw or pin.

Thanks
Old September 7, 2008, 11:24 PM   #4
Hawg

Give kerosene a crack or seam and it will soak through. May take some time but it will. Once the barrel is off the cylinder should come right off. I dug up a 92 Winchester that was rusted solid and kero freed it up after a three month soak.

Another thought. You might try putting it in boiling water for a few minutes. The heat may free it.
Old September 8, 2008, 07:16 AM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a neat revolver!

Good luck with getting it cleaned up to shoot.

Since it's not actually a Curio & Relic firearm, I've taken the liberty of moving your posting to the sub-forum where it might get the best suggestions.
Old September 8, 2008, 10:53 AM   #6
arcticap

Have you seen some of the other posts by Bootsie and others about the Belgium guns and their dedicated website?
You can find them by using the advanced searchbox function above and typing in Belgium and specifiying the Black Powder forum.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hlight=belgium
Old September 8, 2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Fingers McGee

1. I've always had really good luck using Kroil on rusted/stuck parts.
2. Yes, you are correct.
3. Not sure of the actual size of the wedge on you Centaure; but any replacement from Dixie, Taylors, or VTI gunparts should work with minor fitting.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 8, 2008, 07:01 PM   #8
toogunshy

thanks to all for their input

I want to thank everyone for their input.
Old September 9, 2008, 01:33 AM   #9
Bootsie

Toogushy: congrats on your Belgian Colt. If you want to learn more about her and her fascinating history visit my website www.1960nma.org. I am the pard Arcticap is refering to. You may also want to download the questionaire, complete it with the data of your Centaure (that's how we call these pistols in Europe) and mail it to me. I will then gladly give you specific info regarding your pistol, like date of production, model, etc.
There is one gunsmith in the USA with a lot of experience regarding these Belgians. He has repaired some Centennial Armies (another name for these pistols) that were beyond repair. He might provide specific suggestions to remove that cylinder. He also might still have that original replacement wedge I sent him a few weeks ago. Please, let me know if you need his email. But you can make an Uberti wedge to fit.
Bootsie aka Long Johns Wolf