The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2022, 11:30 AM   #1
Marco Califo

Ultrasonic Cleaners and solutions

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner, heated and apparently well powered. It is a Chinese brand Unclenick mentioned. No real instructions included. I cleaned some 7.62 brass with Frankfort Arse. Blue US concentrate (same as I use for steel pin wet tumbling). Good results on Brass, but label says use on brass only.
I have some rust on dies and other small parts. I have Evaporust, and have used some small soaking to good effect.
Questions: Do I just pour the Evaporust in full strength? Clean, then drain? Rinse & oil?
What solutions and parts are you cleaning?
Is there an ultrasonic cleaning reference text I should be reading?
Old November 15, 2022, 06:11 PM   #2
markr6754

Pour the Evaporust full strength. Return the fluid back to the bottle when you're finished. It doesn't wear out until the fluid is basically black and doesn't work any longer. Don't dilute the product. Don't toss dirty/used product. It works until it doesn't.
Your intended use of Evaporust is exactly where it shines. Light, surface rust to get a clean surface...then oil that baby to prevent re-rusting. I've used it on parts from my Hornady Power Case Prep Center. If it's ferrous, toss it in.
Old November 18, 2022, 06:06 PM   #3
Marco Califo

Handbook for Critical Cleaning: Applications, Processes, and Controls, Second Edition

Seems like there is only one book, and it is two volumes. Around $150 for both. I might try volume 1. They did not have a table of contents on Amazon.
Both volumes would cost more than my Ultrasonic Cleaner.
I found a used first edition hardcover for $15, not on Amazon, circa 2000. For my money, I will start with that.

Last edited by Marco Califo; November 18, 2022 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Add Facts