The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2022, 07:13 PM   #1
KEYBEAR

Never load for this guy

I know a guy i never had much to do with but i will help if he ask .
He bought a new ruger 44 Special and ask me to load some used brass he bought .

So i did 46 rounds for him with Bullets (240 gr) Powder (Unique) and Primers.
A nice load in his new Ruger all in the book and he was not happy .

He was not happy the rounds were low on powder he thinks . he shot a 44 before and it was a man"s gun what did you do . So i told him i used as much powder as a 44 Special will ?? He thought he bought a Super Blackhawk 44 Mag and it will shoot the big stuff .

He is not happy and i am done and feel better
Old November 3, 2022, 07:17 PM   #2
hammie

Many people do not understand why the .44 special and .38 special are "Special" cartridges. If they don't get it, you can't explain it to them.
Old November 3, 2022, 07:22 PM   #3
akinswi

why did he buy a 44 special? instead of 44 magnum? didnt he know you can shoot both from a 44 magnum?? lol
Old November 3, 2022, 07:42 PM   #4
hammie

@akinswi: You are 100% correct about the flexibility of the .44 rem mag chambering. However, the .44 special and .44 mag both have their places. In the ruger single actions, the .44 special is chambered in ruger's medium frame, which is noticeably smaller, handier, and lighter than the large frame blackhawk. Brian Pierce in Handloader Magazine has handloads for the medium frame, .44 special blackhawk which will give most people as much enjoyment as they can stand.
Old November 3, 2022, 09:55 PM   #5
Metal god

Was he really unhappy with you or just venting about not having the right gun . Sometimes they can feel like the same thing . Kinda of like telling someone bad news and they start complaining and you say “don’t shoot the messenger” . Often its not that they’re mad at you specifically but rather mad at the situation and you’re just unlucky enough to be there as the sounding board .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 4, 2022, 05:24 AM   #6
LE-28

Well, even if he is mad about buying a 44 special, he is better off than the guy I know that bought a 44 magnum and bought the Scandium model S&W Mountain Gun not knowing the recoil would be viscious.
It was his first gun and he couldn't stand to shoot ever specials out of it.
Talk about suck the fun out of shooting, he had tears in his eyes when he was done with about 30 magnums out of it.
Those two need to get together and trade guns.
Old November 5, 2022, 04:41 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

He didn't specify what load he wanted / was expecting???

if not, what has he got to whine about??
Old November 5, 2022, 05:24 AM   #8
std7mag

My neighbor ask me if i could duplicate some loads for him. He's shooting 357Mag, 110gr JHP White box Winchesters. Box claims 1,280fps.

I stopped by 5 places, no 110gr bullets available.

I told him i could load up some 125gr Sierra JHP, and get him closer to 1,400fps.
He's not believing me.
Would really blow his mind if i could find more Alliant MP300!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 5, 2022, 06:49 AM   #9
akinswi

lol yeah you can make some nuclear 357 with those 125 grainers, I load mine with 20gr of H110 and out of a 6inch barrel they are def doing over 1600fps, and thats 1 grain below max. Such a “blast” too shoot.
Old November 5, 2022, 08:28 PM   #10
L. Boscoe

I don't think anybody was dumb enough to ask me to load for them, but unless it was son or grandson,(not son in law), would I agree. They might
know a lawyer.
Old November 6, 2022, 02:32 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Over the years I have been asked many times by people to load some ammo for them.

My standard response is, "ok, give me the gun". IF they won't, then my answer is a flat "no".

If they supply the gun, then I will load ammo for ME, and shoot it a bit in the process.
Old November 6, 2022, 02:51 PM   #12
SIGSHR

Dean Grenell wrote that he would never reload for anyone else, if they persisted he would seat them at his reloading bench, walk them through it.
Old November 6, 2022, 06:24 PM   #13
Nick_C_S

I've been asked to load ammo for people a time or two.

I've always just politely state that on advice of my lawyer, I won't be able to.

Seems to work and the conversation remains pleasant.

(P.S. I don't have a lawyer; but if I did, I'm sure they would give such advice. )
Old November 7, 2022, 06:17 AM   #14
jetinteriorguy

I just show pictures of my 627 that I blew the top off a few years ago and explain that even after over 30 years of safe reloading anything can happen. I no longer use my Loadmaster, not just the machines fault but it was a major contributing factor along with my own stupidity. I also no longer use Titegroup in anything but 9mm and when I use up what I have left I’m done with it entirely.
Old November 7, 2022, 03:19 PM   #15
Metal god

I made my first major mistake I did not catch in over 10 years really ever . I did not load powder in a case . This was 308 and all I heard was click . Took the cartridge out and everything seemed fine at first glance , figured bad primer . After looking closer I could see and feel the primer popped out just a tad . Right then I knew the primer ignited and the pressure it created pushed the primer out a tad . Pulled bullet and sure enough primer fired leaving soot on base of bullet but bullet was not unseated. Unfortunately I did not think to check if seating depth had changed

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 7, 2022, 04:20 PM   #16
Crunchy Frog

Talk about “looking a gift horse in the mouth”!

I never load for other people nor do they get my handloads. Let’s say I give someone ammo, just being nice, and the ammo is fine. They get bad reloads from another source. They blow up a gun and are injured. Their attorney asks, “where did you get reloads?”

“I dunno. Crunchy Frog gave me some of it.”

How can I prove that it was not my load that blew up? That’s right, I can’t.
Old November 7, 2022, 06:47 PM   #17
Marco Califo

If asked, I say "last time the guy's gun blew up and he lost an eye. Still won't talk to me."
Old November 7, 2022, 08:29 PM   #18
Metal god

Quote:
"last time the guy's gun blew up and he lost an eye. Still won't talk to me."
Haha , that’s my new answer

Old November 8, 2022, 08:26 PM   #19
hdwhit

The general rule is that we load for nobody but ourselves.

Not only are there safety considerations, but liability con ernsas well.
Old November 9, 2022, 12:08 AM   #20
The Happy kaboomer

I won't load for anyone else..........TOO MUCH liability.
Old November 9, 2022, 01:27 AM   #21
Carmady

I won't reload for other people either. Too much potential for drama.

Someone asked me to load some .38 Specials for him. I told him that for as little as he shoots one box for less than $20 would last him the rest of his life.
Old November 9, 2022, 06:28 AM   #22
Shadow9mm

I just tell people we would have to make multiple trips to the range together to test the loads to make sure they are safe in their gun. Usually most people drop the subject.
Old November 9, 2022, 12:50 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

I go a little further than that, I require the gun available to me at my home reloading shop so I can correctly check it and the ammo I will be preparing for it, as often as needed, BEFORE going to the range for actual firing tests.

Every gun and ammo combination is slightly different, within its specs and tolerances, and every gun is not always within those specs and tolerances, and some that are still don't run "right" unless the ammo is loaded a certain way, and not every loading that is within industry specs is going to fit and work in every gun. It should, but we're not in a perfect world and the time to find out a particular gun needs ammo loaded a particular way is before you set up to shoot on the range.

AND, especially before you load a quantity of ammo!

there was a fellow here a few years back, had ordered a pistol in a rather uncommon caliber, and had gotten a bunch of components, and was going to load ammo before he got the gun.

I, and some others advised him not to do that. He was eager, and loaded them up, and after he got the gun found out that what he loaded didn't fit, and had to tear down and redo about 500rnds.

IF he had waited until he had the gun in hand, so he could test fit sized brass, and his first few rounds of loaded ammo, in the gun (not a gauge, or measuring against book spec numbers) before going into volume production, he would have saved himself a lot of work.

Also, there is always the question of any ammo you load for someone else not being suitable for THEM, in their gun.

One fellow I knew got a .44 Mag SA, and to fit his small hands, got it fitted with a birdshead grip and a Bisley hammer. He asked me for some ammo. I gave him a box of my (heavy end) midrange loads (they fit fine) a 240gr LSWC over 10gr Unique. (approx 1100fps +/-). This is not a full magnum load, but for him, in his gun with its birdshead grip, it was too much. It hurt him to shoot it. (in that gun, it would probably hurt me!). In my S&W and Rugers it's not unpleasant.

Not everything that is within the specs is suitable for every gun and shooter.

Dangerous /unsafe is a fail. Doesnt' fit is a fail. Safe, and fits but not suitable, is also a fail.

Lots of times, what people ask for, because they read something saying "this is good" turns out to be unsuitable for them. And, if you loaded it, (even at their specific request) they generally will blame you for it not being "right".

If they are willing, (and provide their own components ) I'll let them learn how to load for their gun, using my tools, under my instruction. If they won't do that, they can always buy factory ammo... (maybe, if they can find any these days ) at what ever the going rate is...
Old November 9, 2022, 02:24 PM   #24
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Boscoe View Post
I don't think anybody was dumb enough to ask me to load for them, but unless it was son or grandson,(not son in law), would I agree. They might
know a lawyer.
I've loaded for my sons. My Dillon 650 has about 200K on it loaded by friends. I won't load for them. I teach them how to use my press and watch them. If I pull the handle, I am keeping those rounds. They come to load 500 and usually go home with about 475.
Old November 9, 2022, 08:26 PM   #25
akinswi

Only reloaders/ handloaders understand why we dont let other people use our reloads/handloads. I will let people shoot my reloads in my firearms. I also do not use any reloads for Concealed Carry