The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 17, 2022, 04:37 PM   #1
KentuckScout

REM Model 11 Bolt Problem?

I recently purchased a US military marked Remington Model 11 Sportsman, and I've ran into a problem that I haven't been able to figure out. When I pull the trigger the hammer doesn't release. Only when I slightly pull the bolt back after pulling the trigger does it release. I've cleaned the gun twice and the parts seem to be in really good shape for pushing 80 some years. From what I can tell, there is no problems in the trigger group or the safety sear, they work great. My other Model 11 I got with the bundle (43' trench gun) doesn't have this problem. It's the later type firing pin with spring and it still works. I don't see any missing or broken pieces that could be in the way of the hammers path. Any pictures needed or questions is welcomed. Thank you.
Old October 17, 2022, 05:20 PM   #2
HiBC

I'm not sure I fully understand your post,but I'll try.
As I recall,a Rem 11 is a lot like an Ithaca 37.

Some shotguns you can hold the trigger back and just pump them. They will fire every time the bolt closes.

Some require the forend to be pulled slightly forward (as it would be under recoil) to release the slide from being locked (as would the slide release)

Some disconnect the trigger or sear when the bolt is not fully in battery. The trigger must be reset after the bolt closes.

It MIGHT be that the gun is fine ,and you just need to learn how the controls work. I said "Might Be"

Or it might be something is wrong,and that could be very dangerous.

I can't speak for any gunsmith, but I suspect if you make sure its unloaded,

put it in a case , then call your smith and ask him " Can you tell me if this gun is working right and safe? Do you have time to look at it?"

He will probably be happy to help you.

Good luck!
Old October 17, 2022, 05:48 PM   #3
105kw

Isn't the Remington Model 11, a licensed copy of the Browning Auto 5?
Old October 17, 2022, 06:35 PM   #4
HiBC

I'm wrong and you are right,105kw! Its nothing like the Ithaca.

I was thinking of the Remington model 17. Thank you for the correction.
Old October 17, 2022, 07:02 PM   #5
KentuckScout

Sorry to just get back to you HiBC but like 105kw said it is a copy of the Browning A5. I have made sure the bolt is fully in battery when trying to get the hammer to drop with no luck. I cant find a thread anywhere else with someone with a similar problem to mine (browning A5 or Remington Model 11). If anyone is confused or doesn't understand my first message, let me know so I can try to explain better or if you guys have any questions about the problem please ask.
Old October 18, 2022, 05:46 PM   #6
Scorch

What's happening is your barrel is going too far forward and disconnecting the trigger mechanism. Could be your barrel isnt tightened all the way. If so, tighten the barrel. Another possibility is that the wood in the front of the barrel lug is compressed and won't stop the barrel from going too far forward.
Old October 24, 2022, 04:05 PM   #7
KentuckScout

Apologies for the late reply, been working out of town. Scorch you are right about the barrel going too far forward and disconnecting the trigger I believe. When I put pressure on the barrel by pushing it a little bit back towards the receiver the hammer drops like it's supposed too. Any ideas on how I could fix this myself?

Tags
model 11 , remington , sportsman