The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 7, 2022, 09:50 AM   #1
USAF Ret

Remington 7400 - Jamomatic?

Any experience with the 7400? I see mixed reviews. Some say as long as cleaned and lubed it is a shooter. Others say it is a jam fest.
Old October 7, 2022, 06:54 PM   #2
hammie

Yes, the Remington 7400 does have a bad reputation for reliability. I think there was a final iteration called the 750, where Remington changed the gas port angle and did some other tweaks to improve the functioning. I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian. I have a 7400, chambered for .308 Win. It has fed and cycled everything, even some reduced loads which shouldn't have cycled. I do keep it reasonably clean, but I've never been fussy about it. Three observations:

1. My 7400 doesn't work at all with other brands of after market magazines. Remington four shot magazines are 100% reliable. Another thing about the magazines. The 7600 and 7400 magazines are nearly the same with the only difference being a squared back on the 7400 follower "hump". This squared back prevents the 7400 bolt closing on an empty chamber. This is really awkward because the bolt is in tension against the magazine, and jams and locks the magazine in the rifle. To clear it, you need to hold the bolt back, under tension, with one hand, hold the rifle with the other hand, and then using your third hand, push the latch and remove the magazine. The 7600 magazines do not have the follower lock and the bolt slides home over the follower. To avoid all of this, I just bought extra 7600 magazines and use them in the 7400.

2. The trigger is spongey, i.e. awful. Although with practice, you can somewhat get used to it.

3. Everyone will tell you this, and I'm sure you are aware of it, but the 7400 is not an M1A or an AR10. It's a hunting rifle, not a battle rifle, and so do not expect the same kind of durability.

Overall, I'm satisfied with mine. However, if I were starting over and looking for a "non-black" auto loading rifle for hunting, I would probably choose the Browning.

Last edited by hammie; October 9, 2022 at 11:19 PM.
Old October 7, 2022, 07:56 PM   #3
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammie View Post
Yes, the Remington 7600 does have a bad reputation for reliability. I think there was a final iteration called the 750, where Remington changed the gas port angle and did some other tweaks to improve the functioning. I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian. I have a 7600, chambered for .308 Win. It has fed and cycled everything, even some reduced loads which shouldn't have cycled. I do keep it reasonably clean, but I've never been fussy about it. Three observations:

1. My 7400 doesn't work at all with other brands of after market magazines. Remington four shot magazines are 100% reliable. Another thing about the magazines. The 7600 and 7400 magazines are nearly the same with the only difference being a squared back on the 7400 follower "hump". This squared back prevents the 7400 bolt closing on an empty chamber. This is really awkward because the bolt is in tension against the magazine, and jams and locks the magazine in the rifle. To clear it, you need to hold the bolt back, under tension, with one hand, hold the rifle with the other hand, and then using your third hand, push the latch and remove the magazine. The 7600 magazines do not have the follower lock and the bolt slides home over the follower. To avoid all of this, I just bought extra 7600 magazines and use them in the 7400.

2. The trigger is spongey, i.e. awful. Although with practice, you can somewhat get used to it.

3. Everyone will tell you this, and I'm sure you are aware of it, but the 7400 is not an M1A or an AR10. It's a hunting rifle, not a battle rifle, and so do not expect the same kind of durability.

Overall, I'm satisfied with mine. However, if I were starting over and looking for a "non-black" auto loading rifle for hunting, I would probably choose the Browning.
Thank you. I almost put in a bid on one. Think I may be looking at the BAR MK3 in 270. I like having 2 rifles in each caliber I own as backup and that's the only one I am missing.
Old October 7, 2022, 08:17 PM   #4
hammie

@USAF ret: I think that is a wise decision.

As for the trigger, (not sure and someone please correct me if wrong), but I think the trigger group on the 7400 and 7600 is the same trigger group as on the remington 870, 20 gauge shotgun. If so, that would explain much.

Last edited by hammie; October 7, 2022 at 08:24 PM.
Old October 7, 2022, 10:18 PM   #5
Drm50

The Rem semi auto rifles are the bottom of the barrel in that bracket. Only choice left is Browning BAR in a new rifle. They are 100yd meat guns. I know somebody is going to have one that shoots like a match rifle, congrats. I my area you can’t give one away. It’s rep for jamming is secondary to me.
Old October 8, 2022, 12:59 PM   #6
Pahoo

Longevity is a factor

Quote:
As for the trigger, (not sure and someone please correct me if wrong), but I think the trigger group on the 7400 and 7600 is the same trigger group as on the remington 870, 20 gauge shotgun. If so, that would explain much.
I've worked on a number of these and your may be right. But can you elaborate on this comment ;
Quote:
If so, that would explain much.
One quality in any firearm, is "Longevity" and the 74 and 7400, just did not measure so well. Some have been converted to 7600' and performance is good. I now have the means to buy better but time is not working with me. ....

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old October 8, 2022, 01:59 PM   #7
GeauxTide

In the 70s, I was in a club that used 742s and Win 100s and they were both jamalistic. Others had 760s and 760s with no problems. When the BAR came out, I got a 308 and it was stellar, particularly in the rainy deer season in LA. I just got a BAR DBM Hog Hunter because I didn't want to lug a 10# AR and it is fantastic.
Old October 8, 2022, 03:10 PM   #8
USAF Ret

I was looking at one on Gunbroker and passed.
Old October 8, 2022, 05:01 PM   #9
Scorch

The history of Remington's centerfire semiautos is spotty. First were the Model 8, 8A, and they were super. Then Remington designed the 740. Good enough rifle for hunting. They were never designed as high-volume shooters, the receivers were soft and subject to wear. As the receivers would wear they got so they wouldn't extract or wouldn't feed at all. Remington "fixed it" with the 742, but it was really the same rifle with the same problems. Again, good enough rifle for most strictly hunting use. You know, one round to check zero and one round for the deer and the rifle would last a lifetime. But shooters decided it was a tacticool battle rifle and shot the snot out of them and after about 500-600 rounds you would start seeing problems with them. The 7400 and the Model 4 were redesigned to address the issues, but they still are not designed for high volume shooting.

Yes, the trigger group is similar in design as the 870/887, but not the same size. Yes, the triggers are awful. Again, they were not designed to be a high-volume shooters rifle, they were for the hunters that wanted something that was point and click. Remington made 4-round mags for them, and any attempts to make or use aftermarket mags is disappointing. Any of them that were used with high-cap magazines are probably worn out. I would avoid buying one just because you can't tell by how they look on the outside.
Old October 8, 2022, 07:23 PM   #10
hammie

@Pahoo: You asked me to elaborate on my comment about the 7400 "shotgun" trigger. There's not much to elaborate. I was just trying to remark on the performance disparity between a typical shotgun trigger and a typical bolt action rifle trigger. Please forgive me for making the point so poorly. In any case, it is just my experience and opinion and worth nothing more.
Old October 9, 2022, 01:29 AM   #11
Drm50

When I was a kid my 1st deer rifle was a Rem 8 in 35cal. The Used racks had plenty 8 & 81s cheap. Mine was $40, 1962. The adults in crew all had 742s and 760s, 30/06s. Busted my but for close to three yrs to save for a 742. First brand new rifle I bought and worst mistake I’ve ever made. I still have the #8 and it’s never had a problem. It’s laid down a lot of meat in the 60yrs I’ve owned it.
Old October 9, 2022, 10:44 AM   #12
Pahoo

Not a problem; just not paying attention on my part.

Quote:
I was just trying to remark on the performance disparity between a typical shotgun trigger and a typical bolt action rifle trigger.
hammie
Not a problem as I now understand, your thinking and yes, I agree !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old October 9, 2022, 02:04 PM   #13
GeauxTide

Quote:
I was looking at one on Gunbroker and passed.
Mine shoots 1/2" with my preferred 165 Grand Slam reloads.
Old October 9, 2022, 04:44 PM   #14
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
I think my issue is, I am getting into shooting more and a rifle that is made for no more than 500 - 1000 shots before parts need to be replaced is not something I am looking for.

That's great you are getting those groups, though.
Old October 9, 2022, 10:22 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
That is well above the usual performance for a Remington semi auto. KEEP THAT ONE!!

Scorch laid it out pretty well, the 740 and its family are "deer season" rifles, built to be used a little every season and they will live and perform for many many years used that way.

They are not military rugged or reliable, nor are they reloader friendly. That wasn't what Remington was building or selling with those models.

If you think you're getting a budget battle rifle, you're going to be VERY disappointed. Use one like it is a milspec weapon, and it won't last very long.

If you need or want flexibility and accuracy you're better off looking at a bolt gun or even a pump. If you want minute of deer and a fast follow up, the Remington, properly cared for, will do that. Generally.

Properly maintained, and good factory ammo, they usually run pretty well. Accuracy...varies. Some rifles are pretty good, others not so much. I wouldn't be interested in a used one online, simply because there's no way of telling if the previous owner wore it out or let it "die of neglect", until its in your hands, UNLESS you have a clearly understood "inspection and return" window. 3days was customary, but newly passed laws in many places requiring "extended background checks" and waiting periods for semi autos will exceed a 3 day window, often by a week, or more.

So, if ordering online, be sure everyone understands the situation, and what can be done if the gun is not as advertised...
Old October 10, 2022, 11:46 AM   #16
jrothWA

Tried helping a neighbor with a inherited 742.

It threw a lovely buckshot pattern at 50 yds, with eight center fire rounds.

I think he got police buy back for it.
Old October 10, 2022, 07:05 PM   #17
jmr40

What you get is the luck of the draw. Some are pretty bad. Some acceptable. But I can't think of a single reason to buy one and take a chance on it.

Winston Churchill
Old October 12, 2022, 05:29 PM   #18
USMCGrunt

I never had one but knew a guy that did. It was horribly unreliable unless it was kept spotless. In order to get the bolt out to clean it to help keep it functioning, it required removing the barrel and the nut that retains it is in a tough spot to get to. Worse yet is they apparently hired Mongo to tighten the damned thing! If you try a regular open end wrench to remove it, you’ll probably round the nut. Best option is to buy the special wrench from Brownells to get that nut off. That’s one series of rifles I have no interest in owning.
Old October 12, 2022, 06:02 PM   #19
USAF Ret

Just glad I did not bid on it.
Old October 13, 2022, 06:48 PM   #20
Bottom Gun

I had a 742 carbine in .30/06 for about 40 yr. It was a very nice rifle. It handled all of my loads from 110 to 180 gr and was 100% reliable. It was accurate enough to win me birds regularly in the 200 yd open sight events at the turkey shoots.
I also had a Browning BAR in .30/06. It was more expensive but it was a nicer rifle than the Remington and was VERY accurate.
I think you would be happy with either rifle but if I was going to buy one today, I would go for the BAR.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old October 13, 2022, 10:07 PM   #21
Geezerbiker

Many years ago my brother bought one in .308 Win. It would feed empty cases but shot a 2" group at 100 yards. He traded it in on a Rem 78 Sportsman in .243 and was very happy with that purchase...

Tony