The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 13, 2022, 08:05 AM   #1
stagpanther

More 7mmSTW

Decided to revive work on this hot number, the biggest problem with it has been finding brass. I did finally find some after resorting to resizing 375 H&H brass, but the factory 7mmSTW brass still wouldn't fit the chamber properly and I had to figure out how to resize it to fit. The chamber was match-cut in a 28" shilen barrel; not the fault of the barrel. On that point, I can very highly recommend James at NSS as the go-to man for made-to-order Shilen and Criterion barrels, both of which I've bought through him and both of which have been very high quality. He's even endured my at times rather irritating inquiries (yes, I know you might find that hard to believe) and still steered me in the right direction.

I only do a little work at a time on it as it has a voracious appetite for powder, ones that are very hard to find and useful in other cartridges. I started using H-1000 which is an excellent powder but is also my prized powder of choice for my 338 LM so I'm planning on looking for something else that works as well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6976.jpg (139.5 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; June 13, 2022 at 07:31 PM.
Old June 13, 2022, 02:12 PM   #2
ligonierbill

Powder Valley just listed Reloder 25, but by the time I hit "add to cart" it was gone. As you know, I shoot the parent of your 7, currently doing well with IMR-7828SSC, and fixin' to try Magnum and MagPro. Let us know how yours run.
Old June 13, 2022, 04:53 PM   #3
stagpanther

I probably should have waited for better weather--but what the heck gave the 183 MK's a test with the H 1000, not surprisingly the powder (probably) works great for this cartridge, it always delivers satisfaction in my experience when used in big magnums.

This is a moderate load of 74.2 grs @ around 2950 fps (and a COL of 3.083) shot in thick fog, even at 110 yds I had a hard time making the target out. To top it off, my send-it batteries died after the second shot. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to stop development with the H1000 because I don't have much left and it is superlative as a powder for my 338LM, so I need to keep it in reserve.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7034.jpg (81.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7033.jpg (133.1 KB, 127 views)
Old June 13, 2022, 06:18 PM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
well with IMR-7828SSC, and fixin' to try Magnum and MagPro
I have all 3 of those, as well as ramshot's LRT which remains something of a mystery powder.
Old June 13, 2022, 06:53 PM   #5
Smoke & Recoil

Midway is showing 7mm stw brass on their site...Nosler, 25 count, $119.00, limit of one.
Old June 13, 2022, 07:25 PM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
Midway is showing 7mm stw brass on their site...Nosler, 25 count, $119.00, limit of one.
Thanks for that--I already have a couple of bags of noslers but they aren't my first choice for 7mm STW brass.
Old June 14, 2022, 08:12 PM   #7
Mike38

I use H4831SC for 7mmSTW. Might be worth a try for you? I also have 300 pcs of new brass, sorry, not for sale.
Old June 14, 2022, 09:18 PM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
I use H4831SC for 7mmSTW. Might be worth a try for you? I also have 300 pcs of new brass, sorry, not for sale.
I have plenty of brass for now, thank you. I have a healthy stash of regular 4831--but have't seen the SC since the beginning of the pandemic.