The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 12, 2021, 06:32 AM   #1
AlanDavid

J L Galef & Hudson Sporting Company

I know its a long shot but does anyone know if the firearm sales records for Hudson Sporting Company or J L Galef both of NYC, still exist in an archive somewhere? Both company's went out of business years ago. I am interested in the 1940/44 period.

Would the ATF be likely to have them?

Regards

AlanD
Old August 12, 2021, 03:00 PM   #2
Scorch

Just a FYI, there is a Hudson Sporting Goods company 1941 catalog on Ebay right now.
Old August 12, 2021, 07:11 PM   #3
AlanDavid

Thanks, I have got that catalogue. There is very little information out there on Hudson, i have not even been able to find out what year they ceased trading.
There is a bit more info on J L Galef, who at one time were the USA agents for Beretta and Birmingham Small Arms co.
Old August 13, 2021, 09:19 PM   #4
5whiskey

If you are looking for sales records in the 1940s era, I’m afraid you may be out of luck. There was no requirement to keep any said records in that era. S&W is famous for being able to research a serial number for that era and give you a history... kind of. They definitely logged law enforcement agency shipments (of which very many of their revolvers went to).

I would be shocked if there were any such records in existence. The ATF should not have them, as the ATF did not exist then. Nor did the mandate to keep sales records for firearms. That came along after the GCA of 1968. Most out of business companies sales records for anything are virtually unobtainable, short of some sort of historical archive gurus acquiring them for preservation.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946