The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 6, 2021, 06:55 AM   #1
baddarryl

Fresh Reminder of the First Rule of Safety

So yesterday I was doing a little ammo testing with my one of my favorites. My old Marlin 981T .22 which is one of the last real Marlins. It is restocked with a Rifle Basix trigger in it. Yesterday i chambered one and had the safety on. I remember pulling a smidgen harder a second time once I realized the safety was on. I pushed the safety to fire and bam! I will have to investigate that as it's never happened after thousands of rounds. Good thing it was pointed down range! Safeties are mechanical and can fail! Only trust yourself not the firearm. Not the first time either. Last time was my fault through carelessness. Familiarity often breeds complacency. Thanks.
Old July 7, 2021, 01:31 AM   #2
armoredman

Glad nobody was hurt. Good reminder, thanks.
Old July 7, 2021, 10:33 AM   #3
baddarryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
Glad nobody was hurt. Good reminder, thanks.
Right on!
Old July 7, 2021, 11:06 AM   #4
Pahoo

We all need reminding

Fresh Reminder of the First Rule of Safety

During our "Firearm Handling, Safety" session we put little emphasis on the use of "Physical" safeties. If a students brings it up, we play into that. If not, as a passing note we typically state; "Us any and all safeties supplied with your firearm but "never" trust them. We also state that; "The muzzle always has the last word."

Be Safe !!!
Old August 22, 2021, 02:56 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

As an aside, I have to point out the aftermarket trigger can be a factor. I put one of the Rifle Basix triggers on a pre-Accutrigger Savage about 20 years ago and after adjusting it where I wanted it, had one round go down range when I closed the bolt, imitating the infamous Remington problem. I immediately adjusted the trigger weight up and that seemed to solve the problem.

In that instance, like the OP's, the barrel was safely directed at the berm on a range that was hot, but it is still a little unnerving to have happen. Later I got a compound lever replacement trigger for it and removed the simple Rifle Basix design. Mind you, I don't think the Rifle Basix trigger had anything wrong with it, but rather just that the overall design of the direct-release trigger mechanism is not one that can be counted on to allow tuning as delicate as I wanted.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle