The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 18, 2021, 10:41 PM   #1
Linker

M1 extras?

I have had an M1 garand for a while now and shoot it often. I read some where, I don't remember where, that I should have a gas plug wrench. Do I really need one? If so is there anything else I need?
Old May 19, 2021, 09:21 AM   #2
10-96

A proper fitting wrench (tool) can help prevent marring the plug, but it's not required. Having a Garand opens up a whole new world of doo-dads to spend dollars on. While not needed, they can be of help and supplement any trade value or heirloom specialness. What you might look at are Bore and Throat Gauges, Gas cylinder gauge, think there's a gas piston/Op-Rod gauge, Firing Pin Protrusion gauge, and probable half a thousand more. Needed? Nope, not on a shooter or casual owner level.

Having one of those G.I. combination tools is really nice- the one that has the chamber brush on it. The chambers are kind of hard to clean and inspect, and I've seen more than a few M1's that were cleaned really well everywhere except the chamber.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 19, 2021, 09:46 AM   #3
Logs

I had a gas plug get stuck so I bought a wrench. I would say it is worth having one. I would pick up a few extra springs etc. You can find much more info on odcmp.com forums.

Ebay has these for under $20.

Gas Cylinder Lock Screw Wrench Tool for M1 Garand Cross Slot Poppet Screw Bronze
Old May 19, 2021, 09:48 AM   #4
BobCat45

There is a little plastic insert that us useful for cleaning. It holds the bolt open positively, and sort of works to keep excess solvent out of the action.

https://smile.amazon.com/Garand-Rece...A%3D%3D&sr=1-3

No necessary at all, cleaned my Garand for years without one, but I've never regretted buying it.
Old May 19, 2021, 09:51 AM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linker View Post
I have had an M1 garand for a while now and shoot it often. I read some where, I don't remember where, that I should have a gas plug wrench. Do I really need one? If so is there anything else I need?
When I was issued my Springfield M1, serial number 160s3418 in August of 1962 Basic Training at Fort Knox, the handle for the M1 Garand cleaning rod assembly had a gas piston nut on one end. I think I had a Garand cleaning rod assembly to complement the M1 I was using in Service Rifle Matches some years ago. I think they can still be found at gun shows.
Old May 19, 2021, 12:22 PM   #6
Nodak1858

If you have a poppet style gas plug use a 1/4 drive extension on it. And to hold the gas cylinder while you tighten it I use a large crescent wrench, wrap a bit of cloth around the cylinder to keep it from getting scratched up. Other than that I just use regular old gun supplies on cleaning kits on mine.
Old May 19, 2021, 02:16 PM   #7
RickB

Removing the lower handguard, without damage, is a lot easier with the proper tool.
Old May 19, 2021, 02:44 PM   #8
Logs

Few of my parts for my Garands....

Gas plug tool
Hand Guard Tool
Bolt take down tool
Multi GI tool
Extra Springs and parts

Old May 22, 2021, 11:33 AM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

I'll suggest getting a newly-made operating rod spring. The linked version is stainless steel, but is wound so the spring constant matches the original military spec. The extra-power op-rod springs from Wolff have caused some folks issues.

Another item to get is that gas cylinder wrench you see at the top of the photo, above. It hangs onto the front of the gas cylinder so you can put some serious torque on the gas cylinder plug. Gas cylinder plugs loosening during firing is a constant nuisance, and that tool will let you mitigate it.

If you ever find yourself in front of a pile of gas cylinder locks and have your gun with you, pick one out that happens to have its threads timed so that it is just getting fully tight when the gas cylinder plug hole in it is aligned with the gas cylinder's threads. This limits some of the wiggling that tends to loosen a plug in the first place. It also anchors the whole gas cylinder's position on the barrel spline more firmly.

You might consider the Garandgear.com gas cylinder plug. It is hollowed out inside (may not be allowed for as-issued matches). This lowers the peak pressure of the gas coming in through the gas port which lessens the suddenness with which the operating rod is pushed back, mitigating the tendency of large charges of slow powder to bend it. I view it as a safety extra measure in case a heavy 30-06 load somehow finds its way into the gun and is fired. You can always change it out for the original if a match requires it.

You could also look at getting one of the vented gas plugs. These have adjustments you can make to tune them for specific loads. It's more bother during load workup but has the advantage that you can pick a degree of venting that slows the op-rod down until it is dropping your brass nearby for easier recovery.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 24, 2021, 03:54 PM   #10
Logs

Don't forget the some of the best Garand Grease out there.

Bought this tube in 2007 I believe from NAPA Auto and it is finally gone. Just ordered a new tube today. This stuff works great on firearms and lasts a long time.

Old December 30, 2021, 01:27 PM   #11
Red Devil

All you really need:

50ea M1 Garand Clips 8rd Enbloc New US - $48.95

400 rounds clipped - is comforting.

Red
Old December 30, 2021, 06:58 PM   #12
BornFighting88

I ground an old beat up flat blade to have the half rounded profile of the plug. Works wonders. I agree with getting the doodads to help with value and heirloom specialness as said.

But keeping spare springs, pins, and wee parts on hand is a great idea. Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.