The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 25, 2021, 08:16 PM   #1
highpower3006

Vintage Ammo

I recently had an opportunity to pick up an old box of 44-40 cartridges to go with my 1888 vintage Winchester Model 1873 rifle. These were made by the Union Metallic Cartridge Company and I believe they date from the period when my "73 was manufactured. I kind of like the idea of having the correct era of ammo to display with my vintage firearms.

I fear I may have started down another rabbit hole in my collecting obsession.

The guy I got it from is a friend of mine and bought out a huge ammo collection, literally hundreds of boxes of vintage ammo. Everything from tiny 4mm shotgun shells to many boxes of Kynoch shells for vintage African rifles. Also included in the hoard are many, many boxes of vintage shotgun shells for various gauges of scatterguns.

He is in the process of going through the stash and has promised me a box or two of correct vintage ammo for my Krag rifle and carbine as well as some WWI era .30-06 for my Springfield 1903's.
Old March 26, 2021, 09:27 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Oh my... oh my... I'm envious...

OK... definitely prior to 1912... that's when Schuyler and Graham purchased UMC and merged it with Remington...

I THINK that label style with the box band of the same color makes it from about 1890 to 1900 or a bit later...

In that condition I'm thinking that box is worth at least a couple hundred...

Could you put in a good word for me with your friend? I'd love to have a box of Savage branded cartridges in either .300 Savage or .25-20. I have Savage rifles in both of those cartridges.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 26, 2021, 01:10 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...another rabbit hole..." Could be worse. There are people who collect empty cartridge boxes. And Coke bottles and dinner plates.
My landlord thinks I'm a hoarder.
An open box of that sold on one of the auction sites for $430. No date on the site.
Old March 26, 2021, 01:15 PM   #4
highpower3006

Mike, I will ask him to look for that ammo and let you know. I guess I did pretty good as I gave him $70 for the Winchester ammo.