The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 26, 2022, 02:36 PM   #26
mehavey

Quote:
The MARKET hunting slaughter of the bison herds . . .
There's a very good case to be made that over-population/herd disease killed off the bison masses so
popularly ascribed to yesteryear's "gun violence" ...currently-popular in today's "guilt chronicles"
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...90052818300087

Of course, that doesn't fit w/ the Power Point message.
Old November 26, 2022, 08:21 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Of course, that doesn't fit w/ the Power Point message.
Nor does it fit with other historical accounts.

What it does fit with is that if you use enough sources, co-relate enough things, throw around enough BS numbers and assumptions, you will get someone to believe it. Someone other than I...

It very much reminds me of the "study" that determined that American colonists had very, very few firearms, because they could find almost no mention of them in a study of colonial period wills.

The basic flaw is the assumption that because you don't find a record that the event never happened. The modern equivalent is not believing some thing is real or has happened if you can't find a reference on the Internet...

Before the "information age" there were a LOT of things the didn't get written down. The further back you go, the fewer things were recorded and the fewer of what was recorded has survived.

And no amount of comparing 1870s Bison to 2015 cattle makes ANY degree of sense, to me, other than, like starfish, they are all here, on planet Earth...
Old November 26, 2022, 08:29 PM   #28
mehavey

Quote:
Someone other than I...
That's truly unfortunate.
and of course the "historical" accounts were all accurate as written.... especially with today's guilt-as 1st-response crowd.

Even the very thought of reconsideration given possible new understanding of the role of diseases needs be ridiculed ASAP.

It doesn't fit the PowerPoint.
Old November 26, 2022, 09:13 PM   #29
JustJake

Like Michigan beating OSU all day every day, the wise money is on the most-awesome .404 Jeffrey for the big win here.
Old November 26, 2022, 11:44 PM   #30
Drm50

I ran top loads in #1, #3 and 1895 Marlin-the JM Rifle. They would let you know when you touched one off. Especially the Marlin because I skinned the wood down flush with metal like the originals. Doing this I reduced surface area of butt plate good bit. I was murder off the bench. I’ve had 444s but only shot a few at range. Saw no point in 444 when I had several 45/70s. I would bet you will get no complaint fron deer shot with either. The 45/70 has a lot more bullet choices too.
Old November 27, 2022, 05:39 AM   #31
Willie Lowman

Quote:
I do not know what strength level a T/C ENCORE .45-70 would be grouped in, but I wouldn't put it in the same group as my Ruger No.3
Buffalo Bore lists these guns for use with their 45/70 magnum lever gun ammo

"Its use should be limited to the following firearms:
All Marlin 1895 (1895 Marlins are all model 336 actions, chambered in 45-70) iterations made since 1972, all Browning 1885 and 1886 copies, Rossi Rio Grande, New England Arms Handi Rifle, T/C Encore, ALL falling block actions made of modern steel such as Ruger #1 and #3, Shiloh, Christian and Pedersoli Sharps, Henry Lever Action Rifles, all Winchester 1886 iterations made since 1915, CVA Centerfire Rifles and all Siamese Mauser bolt actions."

So the TC Encore is in that group. The ammo in question that I am looking at is a 300 grain hollow point that they list at 2263 FPS from an 18.5 inch barrel.

That's good enough for me.